Carrying a Kelly Effortlessly - A Poll

How do you usually carry your Kelly?

• Handheld

• Use shoulder strap

• Handheld with the shoulder strap inside for emergency use

• Using the hand strap like a shoulder strap (Yes you Lala)

• My Kelly sits in the closet because it is a pain

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have several Kellys and use them almost exclusively (minor exceptions are stormy days or beach or certain places I don't feel comfortable carrying one). Without a shoulder strap the Kelly wouldn't function as an everyday bag for me, but there are plenty of times that I hand-carry my Kelly. I think it looks good either way, though I have a slight preference for the hand-held look. When I need both hands for something, I am so happy to have the shoulder strap as a possibility.
I personally don't like the look of the canvas strap on my Kellys. It may be because mine are 25, 28, 32, and I prefer the thinner straps with these sizes. If I had a 35, I might consider it. Also, I didn't want to pay more for another strap when the leather straps work perfectly fine for me.
I don't overload my bags ever, and I never find it too heavy to carry on the shoulder.
When carrying on the shoulder, I prefer retourne to sellier. I only have one sellier (32) and I do feel the hard corners especially when I carry the bag on the shoulder.
I agree with a poster above that the more you use your Kelly the easier it will feel. I have been using only Kellys for years now and it feels very natural. In fact I get cranky whenever I have to use something else.

I am happy to hear I am not the only person who gets upset when the weather or occassion does not allow me to wear a bag I like!:flowers:

I have a 35cm retourné, and whenever I'm being casual with it, I use the regular leather strap in the messanger-style. It sits a tad high, but it's not a problem (I'm 5'4" and smallish). When wearing a nicer dress, I wear it handheld.

My trick with the straps (huge pain!) is to do just as V does in Heartbreaker--I latch the straps, THEN secure the front flap. Because of the size, I can easily slip my hand into the bag even with the straps secure--grabbing wallet or whathaveyou. I just need to open the flap.

Personally, I think the Heartbreaker bag looks so casual and effortless because of the larger size and the retourné style. Maybe you need a second bag???? :graucho:

I usually carry mine with the strap attached, then I can just throw it on my shoulder if I want to. I love my Kelly so much! It's not as easy to carry and less of a workhorse than my Bolide, but it's so unbelievably chic and makes me feel special whenever I carry it.

ldldb said:
this is such an educational thread! but i had to comment on how lovely C's new bag is...and i love the look of the key/lock on the side. si chic!

Oh L! You are so sweet! How's your trip in Europe? Any big box(es) going home with you?

This is partly why I adore Kelly Lakis because of its short leather strap. There's the reason why Hermes produce the Shoulder Kelly solely for the purpose.

Interesting information about the Lakis. Didn't know that. Do you use the pockets on your Lakis?

I have sort of developed a yen for a shoulder birkin after seeing a beautiful one pictured in the thread on contrast bags.

Iwantaspybag, your Kelly is gorgeous! I just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread! I am waiting (and waiting, and waiting :whistle::sleepy::sleepy:) for my first Kelly, and in the meantime, I'm reading every Kelly-related thread I can find! At first, I was hesitant about the Kelly because I wasnt sure how easy it would be to use, but I just kept coming back to it. No bag is quite as perfect as a Kelly, IMO!

Thank you. Mine came much sooner than I expected. I hope yours does too.

I also have mastered closing the straps with one hand (I find this easier with the 35's) and using my knee as someone said in an earlier post.

OMG--I am so impressed. I think a You Tube video is in order
.:biggrin:

this is such an educational thread! but i had to comment on how lovely C's new bag is...and i love the look of the key/lock on the side. si chic!

Yes, C's new bag is quite lovely.

Very good post Charm!
Being natural is always the best thing.:smile:

Good advice from both of you.

When carry a kelly, with the strap on, especially when carry in hand. already has a effortless look imho.

Thank you for posting the pictures. They define effortless style.

I always keep the strap attached to have the handsfree option.

I am encouraged that multiple people use this option.

I agree with a poster above that the more you use your Kelly the easier it will feel. I have been using only Kellys for years now and it feels very natural. In fact I get cranky whenever I have to use something else.

So there is hope. I was beginning to think Kellys should come with a user manual.

Maybe you need a second bag???? :graucho:

This is the best idea yet. :yes: I just laugh at myself as I slide down the slippery orange slope. At first I thought K & B were over priced and ugly. Then I discovered sellier and thought "well, that is pretty". Next retourne grew on me. Now I am smitten with a shoulder birken and I have seen a couple of birkens that make my heart go pitter patter. CDCs are starting to call to me. Where will it end?

it's so unbelievably chic and makes me feel special whenever I carry it.

Amen. I even feel special thinking about carrying it.

I use the strap always. Wish I can carry it cross bodies but my huge behind gets in the way.

In my imagination you are absolutely perfect. I have absolutely no butt, so I would be happy to take some of yours off your hands, but you should not give it up. I am still convinced you are both perfect & bootylicious.

A song that always makes me laugh is "Baby got back." Those who might be offended by this rapper ode to big behinds should not click on this link. Those who are at work should not play this either unless you want to turn heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTx5sqvVJ4

Last edited:
Reactions: Mali_
:heart: Vert Veronese Chevre. Looking great as always, LQYB.:hugs:

attachment.php

Interesting information about the Lakis. Didn't know that. Do you use the pockets on your Lakis?

I have sort of developed a yen for a shoulder birkin after seeing a beautiful one pictured in the thread on contrast bags.

It helps if I close the Kelly and put in a business card or to reach out for some sweets when I need one while driving. I don't like placing wallets into the pockets because it may appear bulky on the outside.:smile:

In my imagination you are absolutely perfect. I have absolutely no butt, so I would be happy to take some of yours off your hands, but you should not give it up. I am still convinced you are both perfect & bootylicious.

A song that always makes me laugh is "Baby got back." Those who might be offended by this rapper ode to big behinds should not click on this link. Those who are at work should not play this either unless you want to turn heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTx5sqvVJ4

that's too funny. and you're real sweet to say that. Often wished there's some sort of massage technique that can migrate some of the bottom excess to the chest...just to even things out. :biggrin:

Truthfull, I have not even try mine with shoulder strap. How awful is that?! I have 35 box sellier and 28 chaminox. I only do really like the look of the hand held but I struggle w/ opening and closing.

Carrying 35 to evening event that I try to juggle drinking and holding foods. I carried thru my arm but after 30 mins my arm was too tired. I am 5'2" and arm size is the same as a 6 yrs old kid.

I have to say 28cm is much easier for me to carry. I can walk handheld and swing w/ out any difficulty.

Ok... I will try w/ the shoulder strap and see.

How do you usually carry your Kelly? What works best?

I am in “Kelly training” and far from the effortless stage. Someone once posted how the heroine of “Heartbreaker” carried her Kelly so effortless. Made DH (who has almost total control of the remote) track this movie down, subscribe to a new cable package, and record it for my training pleasure. DH got major “good husband points” for watching it with me, actually enjoying it, and appreciating that the Kelly was a costar. If you haven’t seen this French language movie, the heroine carries her red beauty in the handheld manner and sort of flounces around with it.

In my training today, I took my new-to-me Kelly on a walk to the grocery store using the shoulder strap. In theory, it was a good idea, cause I could use my hands to carry the grocery bags back. In practice, it was awkward walking there, because I couldn’t swing my arm freely on that side. It might have been awkward because my Kelly is a rather stiff sellier, but she is only a 28. Maybe a softer leather would conform to my hip more, but on the other hand, a larger size, like most seem to prefer, would push my arm out more.

In my training stage, I will carry mine everywhere from professional events to Home Depot. After this experience, I am thinking I will probably go “handheld”, except at events that I need to stand and balance food and talk. But on the other hand, I go to lots of events in which it is best to hang my bag over the back of the chair which would only work with the shoulder strap. I don’t want to have to think about this so much. I would like to skip straight from klutzy to effortless.

Can you experienced Kelly carriers tell me what works best for you?

Oh, my dear Iwantaspybag :hugs:,
(I feel so honored to have merited a multiple-choice option! :flowers:)

Some other thoughts for you on Kelly-wearing:

Instead of hanging your kelly on the back of your chair, place the kelly behind you so it sits comfortably between your lower back and the chair back. Works especially well with a retourne kelly (not so much with a sellier kelly!). Also serves as a good lower lumber support option.

For comfortable shoulder-wearing, inquire about having a custom length strap made for your kelly that is significantly shorter than the original kelly strap. The custom strap should let the kelly bag hang next to your torso so that it hits above your hip and wears like a hobo bag. I find this more comfortable than having the kelly hit at or below my hip with the original kelly strap.

For casual "on the go" hands-free kelly training opportunities, inquire about having a custom length canvas strap made that is long enough so you can wear your kelly cross-body messenger-style. Since your bag is sellier, you might find it more comfortable to wear the kelly messenger-style but with the bag hanging slightly behind you instead of smack upside your front hip bone.

HTH!

I have a vintage 32 BBK sellier and I find it hard to look effortless with. It didn't come with a strap so I always carry it handheld.

I think using scarves as a strap would make it look a little more casual though!
9.jpg

Reactions: Mali_