Workplace Career Jealousy......

Daniela7474

Aug 26, 2006
Hi everyone.
Okay, I am having this really weird feeling and it's bothering me A LOT.
One of my very best friends called me today. She and I met about 7 years ago when we were both hired by the same high school.
Anyway, we both taught for six years. I was so sick and tired of teaching, was complaining all the time. I just really lost my passion for it. I ended up quitting and my husband and I moved away from the US and immigrated to a new country.
I'm not working right now b/c I'm waiting for my paperwork to get done.
Well my friend called today to tell me she got a job earning TWICE what we used to make as a school principal for a new high school that will be opening.
I am thrilled for her, I really am. But I am jealous and i'm trying to figure out why. I love my husband, and I am certain that leaving education was the right choice for me, but I guess I feel like I haven't found anything to replace it and maybe I am jealous that she has a passion for her career and I don't.
Has anyone else ever felt this way, just kind of lost?

Perhaps it is more jealousy of knowing that she has found a career she enjoys and you're still searching?

But if education wasn't for you, then you made the right choice in taking the time to look for something that does make you happy. Best of luck in searching for your dream job:smile:

Yes, it's definitely normal to feel jealous about things like this, as much as you are really happy for your friend. I went through something really similar with a friend I was really tight with through highschool, college and beyond. Her career really started taking off in her early/mid 20s and I was still floundering around. We were roomies after college, so every day we'd discuss how our days went, job stuff...so I got to hear a ton about her promotions, raises, successes and I didn't have much to share :sad:

Just remember that success is not a finite 'pie,' and there's plenty for everyone to go around many times over.

Good luck discovering your next career chapter!

Lots of times! I have felt lost and uncertain about my future and career choices lots of times, but I am happy and like to dream. You sound like you took a big step by leaving your career and moving to another country. That is a brave step not many people take. Congratulations! For not being stuck in a job you were not happy in and moving on to an adventure of a lifetime. Maybe she has wished at times she had done the same. Perhaps she has felt a bit envious of you...

Wow! It feels good venting here and knowing that I'm being heard and understood.
Thanks for all your responses. You gals brought up some interesting observations and perspectives I hadn't thought of before.
Blue, I think you're right. I truly am happy for my friend but I so badly want to find a good career fit for myself, like she has found.
Thanks again, ladies, for sharing your thoughts on this!
HUGS TO ALL!!!!!!!! :heart:

Daniela, i totally know what you're feeling.

What can I say? I guess sometimes you can be happy for someone but still feel like your life isn't where you want it to be even though you know you left education for the right reason and you have a happy marriage. You just feel like you should be successful as well.

I don't have any advice becos i'm going through very similar feelings but i just wanted you to know you're not alone and to hang in there.

try to explore different things that u might be interested in, talk to people and ask them about their jobs and what they like and don't like.

I hope you find your calling soon and that things start to take off for you.

hugs

Give yourself a big break.

You took a biiig change of life. You moved to another country, committed to leave your profession. Under the circumstances, a little bit of emotion over the life you've left behind represented by your friend is hardly cause for alarm.

Hang in there. Think of all the exciting things ahead of you!

I totally understand how you feel. I am kinda in this place where I have a job that I can deal with but am not in love with. I had lots of passion when I started but I think it has to do with me being sick of school and just wanting to get my advanced degree and an advanced career. I think once I'm done with more schooling I'll be in a better place.

It's totally understandable what you're feeling. I'm sure after some soul searching you will find something that meshes well with your life. It just kinda sucks to see someone being content and successful when you're in this limbo position. You've made a ton of changes. Give yourself some time to adjust and I'm sure you'll find something that lights your fire!

Thanks for your replies, ladies! I love reading what everyone wrote. You have all given me some really wise advice. I'm so grateful for that!
I'm going to print out this thread and look back on everything you've said from time to time, as I struggle making a new path for myself in a new country.
You have all been so sweet to take the time to share your thoughts.
MANY MANY HUGS TO EACH OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:heart: :heart: :heart:
Danielle

take a breath.
maybe you are not sure leaving education was the best choice for you if you are having these feelings.

or

just bc you are not working right now you may not feel a whole lot of self worth.

Hi photoobsessive!
Thanks for your post. I am 100% sure that leaving education was right for me. I taught for 6 years and hated every second. I think I knew I had picked the wrong thing once I started student teaching, but by then I felt like it was too late to pick something else!
I am beginning to think it's because I have been in limbo this past year, with no real back-up plan. My work permit will be here soon, yet I have no idea what I want to do. That's what scares me and makes me feel uneasy. I have always been a planner, and to have no plan for the FIRST TIME EVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE freaks me out!!!!!! :wacko: