Can't wear studs?

cupcake34

Jun 26, 2012
Hi ladies,

I like wearing earings, mostly hoops and drop earings.

I have some pearl studs and like to wear them sometimes but whenever I do, I cannot wear earrings the following days.

My ears swell a bit and when I touch the earlobes it feels like there are little stones in there.

Does anyone else have this or am I the only one who has problems with studs?

Is there anything I can do about this?

It sounds like your having a reaction to the mixture of the metal rather than the design. I have 14K yellow and white gold earrings that I cannot wear, because they turn my ears green or they swell. On the other hand, I have other 14k yellow and white gold earrings that I can wear day in and day out without a problem.

What material are your posts?

All my earrings are silver. This happens both with studs and with drop earings which are not "hanging" through the ear but more stud-like. I do not make the earrings too tight, so it can't be that.

But maybe my ears just don't like the design because it is still to tight? :shucks:

It's not making sense to me, lol! If you can have things hanging, no reasons studs would irritate :thinking:
I agree, must be something in the metal.

I agree with PP. Even two items listed as the same metal (both, say, 14K gold) can have different combinations of metals in them. Depending on what the mix is, you could have a reaction to one and not another. I would say this is the most likely problem with your studs. I'd try another pair before you completely dismiss the idea of wearing stud earrings.

And while studs typically all have round posts, I do find that my ears are irritated by hoops that have a rectangular post. Some earrings - especially where the post "locks" into the back - have posts that aren't rounded and those always irritate my ears, regardless of the metal involved. Like I said, it is unlikely that is a possibility here, but it is worth checking that the posts are shaped the same.

I have tried many different studs and earrings with clasps on the back.

It happens all the time! I don't think that it is the metal, because why do I not have problems with all my other earrings?

I have tried many different studs and earrings with clasps on the back.

It happens all the time! I don't think that it is the metal, because why do I not have problems with all my other earrings?

I have the same problem and so does my youngest daughter. Ironically we identified that we have thicker lobes. In her case, she can only wear posts that are a little longer to give more space. Her piercings would get infected and I tried everything from gold to surgical posts - you name it. A doctor finally suggested the longer posts. Worked like a charm!

I love how diamond studs look but the minute I put them on they start to bother me. I haven't tried platinum, though, with a longer post. I've kind of resigned myself to hoops :smile: I have white gold hoops I wear tirelessly. I think I'm just going to get some diamond hoops at some point :smile:

It could be the metal OR...many times, the back of the stud's setting is a bit pointy (think of what the bottom of a round, cut diamond looks like, except that the point is a bit more rounded). This may be digging into your piercing holes a bit, and irritating them.

Also, even if your earrings are thought to be in a metal you can wear, such as .925 silver, there's always the possibility that the purity is not exactly that. I've had this happen with some 14kt earrings I was given. They always made my ears react as if I were wearing costume earrings. However, if it's doing that with several pairs, and they are from different manufacturers, that's unlikely.

Oh, so I am not the only one with that problem ;)

As you said, I also need more "space"; maybe my ears don't like to be squeezed and prefer earrings with more space.

I would love to have diamond studs but I guess for me it would not worth it since I could never enjoy wearing them. Maybe diamond hoops would be a better alternative! :smile:

It could be the metal OR...many times, the back of the stud's setting is a bit pointy (think of what the bottom of a round, cut diamond looks like, except that the point is a bit more rounded). This may be digging into your piercing holes a bit, and irritating them.

Also, even if your earrings are thought to be in a metal you can wear, such as .925 silver, there's always the possibility that the purity is not exactly that. I've had this happen with some 14kt earrings I was given. They always made my ears react as if I were wearing costume earrings. However, if it's doing that with several pairs, and they are from different manufacturers, that's unlikely.

Yes, I thought that too, but my earrings are from many different manufacturers and it happens all the time. I have some costume hoops and drop earings and even with them I never have problems. I am not sensitive to the material I guess.

I have the same issue sometimes, but I've found it only happens if I sleep with the studs in. Sometimes, the pressure/movements from sleeping with certain earrings in.

it could be that while your post is a metal that you can tolerate, the earring is not the same metal and that is touching the front of your ear

I have sensitive skin and when I got my ears repierced I could not wear silver until much later. I had been able to wear silver wire earrings before that but once I had the ears pierced again, I had to wait a long time for them to totally heal before I could wear silver again.
I wore my diamond studs with platinum posts and backs exclusively for a long time - maybe several months or a year. Platinum is totally safe for people with nickel sensitivity.

You're either wearing your earrings too tight or the metal is irritating your skin. 14K means 58.3% gold and the rest are different metals. You could be allergic to the metals.

I had my diamond stud posts (screwbacks) extended so now they do not bother my ears anymore. This may be an option for you but an expensive one at that...