Can the vachetta leather be stopped naturally from turning to patina if...

wintermute said:
you just let the bag sit inside its dustbag in the closet for years? Or it will still turning patina but in a very slow process?

The vachetta will patina - absolutely. It doesn't matter if you leave the bag in the dustbag, and place it in the dryest part of the house away from all forms of light for the next several years. I have some LV bags that I bought from 2 years ago that I still haven't had the chance to use yet (because I'm currently still using some of my other LV bags), and I'm seeing this happen. Albeit, the patina is obviously slower and you can only tell the difference by comparing the outer vachetta to the interior vachetta of the same bag.

Reactions: elegantbags
How about speeding it up? I think i've asked and searched for instructions and I've had my new Manhattan outside (and it's been humid here) sitting in a lawn chair "tanning" and so far, nada. My neighbor thinks I am crazy with my handbag on a chair in the sun, turning it over every half an hour or so. I'm beginning to wonder myself.

BrodiesLVMama said:
How about speeding it up? I think i've asked and searched for instructions and I've had my new Manhattan outside (and it's been humid here) sitting in a lawn chair "tanning" and so far, nada. My neighbor thinks I am crazy with my handbag on a chair in the sun, turning it over every half an hour or so. I'm beginning to wonder myself.
Someone accidentally left it inside her hot car for a couple of hours and it patina'd nicely. Some here have tanned it on tannign beds. You'd have to search for those threads. I just use mine everyday and it's getting darker faster than I thought it would.

BrodiesLVMama said:

It won't turn honey-coloured in one day. You'd have to tan it every day for at least one week before you start to see a slight difference. Tanning it everyday for 3 weeks straight should start to show a comparatively more noticeable difference. Keep in mind that the level of UV rays quicken/slow the tanning process as well.

I have a bag I have never taken out of the house. I’ll grab some pics later.
I got a pre-loved bag with light patina. Looks beautiful. But as I used it, it got darker. I know that is the natural process. But is there a technique/ suggestion to prevent or slow down the patina process? For example: wiping it down with water monthly? As far as the canvas goes, do you have to condition it, so as not to crack? Or leave it alone. I just want to do the right thing. I love these bags. And I’m new at Luxery bags. Thank you. Hope to hear responses soon.

I wish there was no untreated leather on the azur speedy bandouliere :sad: I'm okay with a little patina on it but not when it gets dark brown, it looks weird because the azur looks too washed out next to it especially outside during a sunny day

Reactions: misspiggy
Need help deciding as I have the same view of wanting to keep vachetta newer looking. I have a neverfull mono mm but am getting really stressed out about the vachetta I’ve only used it about 10 times and each time I am very nervous I will ruin it or it will start darkening and turning a brown instead of honey. I am debating on trading it up for a Damier ebene neverfull with rose ballerine interior. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks for your reply. Glad we feel the same way. I have a Neverfull DE mm size.
I never have to worry about it if it rains. I don’t even think about it. The only thing is that it’s nice to have a variety. For me that is. I love the monogram print on the never full and on the DE. I trade off. People are saying Apple Guard will slow down the patina process but I’m still skeptical . And not totally comfortable... yet. LV says only use pure water if it is surface dirt you want off. So there you have it. Enjoy your bag. The mono print is so beautiful. I just wipe the straps once nightly with a cloth. If dirty only use pure water baby wipe once. Hope that helps. Go for it. :smile:

Need help deciding as I have the same view of wanting to keep vachetta newer looking. I have a neverfull mono mm but am getting really stressed out about the vachetta I’ve only used it about 10 times and each time I am very nervous I will ruin it or it will start darkening and turning a brown instead of honey. I am debating on trading it up for a Damier ebene neverfull with rose ballerine interior. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions?
Thanks for your reply. Glad we feel the same way. I have a Neverfull DE mm size.
I never have to worry about it if it rains. I don’t even think about it. The only thing is that it’s nice to have a variety. For me that is. I love the monogram print on the never full and on the DE. I trade off. People are saying Apple Guard will slow down the patina process but I’m still skeptical . And not totally comfortable... yet. LV says only use pure water if it is surface dirt you want off. So there you have it. Enjoy your bag. The mono print is so beautiful. I just wipe the straps once nightly with a cloth. If dirty only use pure water baby wipe once. Hope that helps. Go for it. smile:smile:

I never have to worry about it if it rains. I don’t even think about it. The only thing is that it’s nice to have a variety. For me that is. I love the monogram print on the never full and on the DE. I trade off. People are saying Apple Guard will slow down the patina process but I’m still skeptical . And not totally comfortable... yet. LV says only use pure water if it is surface dirt you want off. So there you have it. Enjoy your bag. The mono print is so beautiful. I just wipe the straps once nightly with a cloth. If dirty only use pure water baby wipe once. Hope that helps. Go for it. smile:smile:
I actually did spray my bag with Apple garde and let me tell you it actually works! I’ve gotten açaí on the vachetta, I know cringe, but it wiped right off with a water wipe and dried nicely back to normal!