Can Someone Explain to Me the Process of Making Hermes Scarf Please?

djmm

Jun 17, 2010
I'm really interested in this but haven't actually found detailed answer yet. I've read some short description, saw some video on youtube (the one showing the demo in the mall, but it's blurry and short) but that's about it.

For example, is it correct to say that the amount of screens needed to make a complete scarf is the same as the amount of different shade of colours?
For example, if you see a scarf with 6 different colour shades altogether, that means to make that scarf, it has to be processed through 6 different colouring steps?

We have lots of Hermes crazies here in this forum, there must be someone who really understands the process of making the scarf? :biggrin: Well at least I think it's good to know a thing or two about your scarf collection... Thanks guys!

From Martha Stewart:

An artist or designer and seven skilled craftsmen and women (a silkworm breeder, weaver, engraver, colorist, printer, enoblisseur, and hand roller) are involved in the making of each scarf, which takes approximately two years to produce from design concept to engraving, printing, and finishing.

The luxurious scarves are made using silk from breeders in China and Brazil. Hermes weaving and printing factories are in Lyon, France. About 8 silkworm cocoons are needed to make one thread of Hermes' heavy, soft silk. Washing, spinning, and weaving take place before printing can begin.

An engraver breaks down the scarf design into as many colors as the finished scarf will contain (one screen per color for upwards of 36 colors). Engraving the scarf design takes about 800 hours. Printing takes place on 100-meter long tables, where colors are printed one after the other from lightest to darkest and smallest area to largest area of the scarf's design. The printed scarves are then fixed, washed, ironed and cut out, scarf by scarf, before the hems are rolled by hand in a process which takes about 40 minutes per scarf.

wow! that is just crazy.
It's amazing how people walk into the boutiques to purchase these scarves and most of them wouldn't know the hard work that goes behind each one.
I remember showing my DBF the hermes scarf online and he nearly passed out from the price, and now I just read to him the process behind these beauties.
He said "holy cow, it's definitely worth it then" :P

I had the privilege of visiting the Hermes silk factory in Lyon when I was 15 during an exchange programme... It was amaaaaaazing... And yes djmm, every colour you see on the scarf requires a separate screen!

Bumping this very old thread as it's more relevant to answer the following questions here than on the seasonal scarf thread:

We are also twins!
I have read here that the design artists have no say in the colorways H uses for their scarves. But maybe someone else can confirm or debunk.
Yes, this is correct. Colorways are dictated by Hermès, not the designer.

Congrats! I feel the same way about the design, whatever it's supposed to be. Apparently a paint by number homage, LOL. But the colors are so great. Hence my curiosity about the color family. Does @Meta or anyone know how to search by color family?
Is this in reference to the website?

Bumping this very old thread as it's more relevant to answer the following questions here than on the seasonal scarf thread:

Yes, this is correct. Colorways are dictated by Hermès, not the designer.

Is this in reference to the website?
Thanks for answering. Just wondering, if one LOVES a particular CW, can one find out what other designs were produced in that "color family"? Either through the website, or through one's SA? Otherwise, what is the point of the color families? (I know asking about H logic is generally pointless, LOL)

Thanks for answering. Just wondering, if one LOVES a particular CW, can one find out what other designs were produced in that "color family"? Either through the website, or through one's SA? Otherwise, what is the point of the color families? (I know asking about H logic is generally pointless, LOL)
It's definitely not done on the website, the only way to filter is through color on the website. I'm not sure if it can be done on the Hpad internal system either. I've only seen ability to filter with color on there as well. Perhaps best to check with your SA? :flowers:

Does anyone know whether a white scarf with black pattern takes less work to make than the same design but with color? I googled it but didn’t come up with anything useful.
Generally, each individual color requires its own screen, and the design is revealed by squeegeeing each of the colors through the assigned screen (lots of Hermes scarf-making on video/YouTube). So again generally, a simple two color scarf will be ‘less work’. But as @Meta points out, any shading or other details within the individual color could require more screens and thus ‘more work’. The ground of the scarf (the base color) will also involve dyeing the length of fabric and then applying the design colors. HTH :flowers:

It would depend on whether there's any shading/gradient in the shade of black would be my guess.
Thank
Generally, each individual color requires its own screen, and the design is revealed by squeegeeing each of the colors through the assigned screen (lots of Hermes scarf-making on video/YouTube). So again generally, a simple two color scarf will be ‘less work’. But as @Meta points out, any shading or other details within the individual color could require more screens and thus ‘more work’. The ground of the scarf (the base color) will also involve dyeing the length of fabric and then applying the design colors. HTH :flowers:
Much appreciated for you and @Meta’s responses! I am looking at preloved Mille Et Un Lapins scarf and the Flagship one, and wonder whether I pay the same price for the black and white one vs. the color ones.

IMG_9644.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9643.jpeg
    IMG_9643.jpeg
    754.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Thanks
Reactions: textilegirl
In store the black and white is the same price as the color scarves so I’d assume a re-seller would want the same price regardless of color. If I’m wrong I’d be interested to hear. Ultimately a used item like this is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Reactions: textilegirl