can our purses be too big or too small for our size?

I agree with LL the proportion is very important and that is why I stared wearing large bags in the first place..

But I still carry smaller bags and clutches on weekends and I also like how those bags look on me..

I become self-conscious when a bag doesn't sit comfortably on my frame. For example if the straps are too short, it just won't lay right on shoulder. If the bag is too small, it will be obvious when it's stuffed. If the bag is too structured, it will jut off the side of my hip, etc. In my case, I don't have any trouble with large to super large sizes, but too small would <strike>accentuate</strike> exaggerate the parts of me I don't want to show off!

Last edited:
I believe one of the most amazing facets of owning beautiful handbags is they look good on everyone! If you want to carry the small clutch or the giant hobo....if you wear a 0 or a 22..... that bag is going to be sharp!!

And besides...if a bag is "too big" or "too small" for you is a matter of opinion. I think if you love it....carry it!

I believe one of the most amazing facets of owning beautiful handbags is they look good on everyone! If you want to carry the small clutch or the giant hobo....if you wear a 0 or a 22..... that bag is going to be sharp!!

And besides...if a bag is "too big" or "too small" for you is a matter of opinion. I think if you love it....carry it!

Couldn't have said it any better ! I am only 4'11 and a mom to two young kids so when we go run errands I usually carry my MbMJ Classic Aidan with my MJ zip clutch, MbMJ pretty nylon case and their two ds lites a ziplock of fresh fruit and a bottle of water. The bag is big and heavy but I think it's a matter of how the person feels. Go on and rock it girl!!

Unfortunately I can't get over the feeling that a huge bag looks ridiculous on me. There was an utterly gorgeous bag that I posted about in another topic (Red Handbag Recommendations) that I passed up on because it was too big :crybaby: Plus they can be a little unwieldy and I wouldn't want barking its corners on a revolving door or something.

Sure it can ruin your own look, even the same shape and size of the bag in different colour and texture. I have YSL medium downtown in lambskin, soft - nice colours - degrade - brown, purple stc...and it looks fabulous on me, slouchy and leans well against the body, I look terrific with it. Knowing that, I bought the same bag, same size, but black patent ...it swallowed me totally. It is more keeping shape, rigid and it is abvious how big it is. I had to return it, I almost cried because YSL patent is timeless, amazing textured and forever durable. I had to return my absolute only rain bag, just because I lloked rediculous with it.

I think it all depends on your personal image - whether proportions matter or whether carrying an amazing bag you love matters more. For me... I'm tiny. When I was in grad school, I tried carrying around a Coach briefcase for interviews/presentations and it dwarfed me to the point that people were always asking if I needed help with it, or saying it looked huge. (One lady even commented that I could fit all the things I needed to run away from home in it - yay for jokes based on my comparable height to a small child!) It was normal-sized, it's just me who's small :smile: But it was a gift, and I loved it, so I carried it anyway.

One thing I try to consider is the proportions of the bag itself. One bag I got recently (& returned) looked like a miniature of a big bag, anyone know what I mean? Like the proportion is just not right. Otherwise I like all sizes of bags but they gotta look 'right'.

I definitely have preferences about bag sizes that compliment my frame. My sister tends to be an exaggerated hourglass, and I don't think the tiny, cross-body swing packs she tends to use are flattering, but that isn't my place to say or decide. I just know I want to avoid certain looks for myself.

Larger bags are more easily overlooked, IMO, as a person of any size might have a lot of work papers to carry, necessitating a larger bag.

Whether or not the size of a bag is appropriate for a person is also dependent on the event or occassion. Work bags or everyday bags have a lot more leeway in terms of what is acceptable in terms of size or design/style. I've seen some women carrying very large bags (bigger than their upper body) and some are able to pull it off while others seems to be carrying luggage instead of a purse.

Evening bags seems to have an unwritten rule that it should not be wider/longer than 12 inches (or as one of my GFs says "bigger than your head.") While I understand that this bag may be their HG and they are very proud of it, a large bag is really not suitable for a cocktail party.

Wear what you love but do consider if it is appropriate/suitable for the occassion.

I find this to be a good question. I bought and returned the next day, a MBMJ Huge Hillier bag when it first came out about 3 years ago. When I tried it on, my family and I thought the bag consumed me. It was "huge" looking on me. I love the BV Veneta and ironically never loved the way the large bag looked for that reason and preferred the medium as far as look on me, however, after trying on the maxi, it seems it dropped lower, and fit better! I am a perfectionist when it comes to the right size fitting my body. It must be proportional and if it's not, I won't buy it no matter what.

I think more than size where the bag hangs on you can be a factor. For instance, I'm tall and full-figured, and when I wear cross-body bags that fall at my hip, I only emphasize that I am taller and bigger than most, especially in the hip area. But if I wear a smaller bag that falls at my waist from the shoulder, it looks fine, especially because my waist is the smallest part of my body. As long as the bag falls in a flattering way, I think you can break some style stereotypes (or at least bend the rules, I'm still not wearing mini pochettes!).