Can I interest you in a pit bull with that?

I like this thread!
I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that you can't control everything. If something ever happened, give up your bag, try to get a good look and try to make sure you stay safe. I know we all love our bags but it's not worth getting hurt over.
I don't worry too much, in my area, even well known bags aren't widely known and I think most people think they're fake. I do tend to keep my obvious designer stuff (monogramed etc.) to accessories.

Have you ever taken a self defense class? I know a lot of cities offer them now and it's a great idea to learn the moves, learn what to do in situations like that etc.
Also, check with your insurance company in case your bag is covered for theft.

I just moved to the greensboro area. A few times being out exporing trying to find my way I have ended up in a few bad looking places. Im thinking about getting pepper spray. Once I even left my LV in the suv because I didnt want to be seen carrying it.

I totally agree with previous comments that confidence and awareness are your best defense against being mugged, designer bag or not.

I think many guys are clueless about potential dangers. When I go out alone, I don't drive through dodgy areas even if it means a bit of a detour, in case something happens with the car. My only "close call" was coming home from a meeting late one night. I was stopped at a red light, and a guy who'd been leaning against a building walked toward my car and put his hand out toward the door handle (the door was locked). I hit the gas and ran the light. I didn't care if I got a ticket. I didn't care if he'd grabbed the handle and I'd run over him. All that mattered was that I got out of there.

I like the idea of a pit bull as a bag accessory! Too bad they're too big to fit most bags.

Last edited:
I agree that most bag snatchers are after what they think will be IN the bag, not the bag itself. Additionally, depending on the area you live in, high-end designer bags might be a dime a dozen on the women passing on the sidewalks. In some areas, every other bag I see is LV, Gucci, Chanel or another recognizable designer. That doesn't necessarily make you safer, but my point is that (depending on the area) a potential thief may have a lot to choose from if he is looking for a designer bag, so you wouldn't necessarily be singled out for your bag.

I don't blame you for worrying about having your bag stolen. It IS important to stay safe but I wouldn't want to lose a great bag!

Try carrying your bag in a larger, cheaper tote if you have to walk or drive in rougher areas. Gift-with-purchase totes (I LOVE (Clinique, Estee Lauder, etc.) bonus time!) work well. It's also an extra layer of protection in bad weather.

Sure, no one see your bag but you might feel a little safer. Hope this helps!

Where I live purse-snatchings are epidemic, and an increasing number of them are by gangs of girls. Surely some have a good eye for what sorts of bags to grab.

On a comparatively bright note, did you know that if your expensive bag is swiped your home-owners insurance will cover it under the personal property coverage. Assuming its cost is over the limit for your deductible.

I never worry, is that wrong? I've carried my expensive bags in big cities, London, New York and also my smaller home town and always feel very safe. I think as long as you keep your head held high and look confident then potential muggers will avoid you.

When I went on vacation to Chicago at the beginning of the summer, I was slightly paranoid about my bag getting stolen. I opted to take a cheap nylon bag that I forgot I had and just kept the bare minimum of stuff inside it.

In general I don't worry about my bags getting stolen but worry about stuff getting on it, scuffs and scrapes. Most people where I live wouldn't recognize a designer bag unless it was monogram.

I've never thought about my personal safety while carrying designer bags. Then again, I don't go to bad places so I'm not worry. Lately, with the economy & many robberies going on (people are desperate for money), I do however worry about wearing jewelry.

It's funny.

I was thinking about this also recently which is why I purchased a spray can of mace to keep in my bag (It's pink and it's in my Stella McCartney right now :smile:)

The store I got it from had a special on tasers too, but I decided that was too much.

It's sad, but it's indicative of the world we live in.

I just moved to the greensboro area. A few times being out exporing trying to find my way I have ended up in a few bad looking places. Im thinking about getting pepper spray. Once I even left my LV in the suv because I didnt want to be seen carrying it.

I do that all the time too, though it's also incentive for people to break into your car :P

I cover it up.

I do this at the gas station frequently, especially at night. I may walk tall and confident in the daytime, but at night my face betrays me. I KNOW I look scared so I just take out what I need for gas, hide my purse in the car, and try to walk briskly (but not too) into to store and back.

I do that all the time too, though it's also incentive for people to break into your car :P

I cover it up.

I do this at the gas station frequently, especially at night. I may walk tall and confident in the daytime, but at night my face betrays me. I KNOW I look scared so I just take out what I need for gas, hide my purse in the car, and try to walk briskly (but not too) into to store and back.

Be careful, ladies (guys too)! If possible, try to get gas before dark. In my area, there are just too many freaky people lurking around gas stations at night. Save yourself the grief.