can anyone help my dh

I could not find the side by side pictures, but here are a few explanations that might be helpful:

Hermesgroupie explained that:

Sellier construction is also rigid because an extra layer of leather is added to give the bag its stiffness and not solely from the stitching method. Retourne must be soft otherwise it would be impossible to turn it inside out. BTW, that's what retourne means "to flip over". Sellier means "saddle" which is the type of stitching used by Hermes, and for which its famous for.

and from 24, Faubourg

RIGIDE vs. SOUPLE Kellys: I tried doing a search but couldn't find it, but sometimes people come on the board to ask for differences between a Kelly in the rigide (rigid) or souple (supple) constructions. Basically, rigide involves stitching on the outside. It is more difficult and therefore more expensive. Souple involves stitching in the inside then inverting the bag. Note that Hermes has introduced new terminology: Rigide is now Sellier and Souple is now Retourne.

side by side is key. shopmom - that's perfect... he might need a closer example. but this is an excellent start, thank you!!!
now can anyone come over and help me hold him down and force him to look at tpf?

HH,
If your dh cannot identify the difference between the 2 styles, describe to him what I told my dh (from a layman's perspective)

Sellier: where you can see the "raw" stitching running along the edge of the Kelly

Retourne: where you see a smooth leather piping instead.

I started with telling him what I read on this forum, about how the 2 different Kellys were made and after awhile, I knew I'd lost him. :Push: So I kept to the bare minimum (as above) and nothing more. :sweatdrop: