Can anybody help me with a closet makeover?

kimalee

Jul 30, 2007
Hi guys! I'll tell you a little bit about myself...I am 20 years old and this fall I will be a senior in college. Currently I only wear (and own) tshirts and jeans and sneakers. It's terrible! Of course, I also do the whole college hoodie thing. I always feel so lazy and messy, and I really want to get a new wardrobe this summer! I have no siblings and no sisters to help me, and none of my friends really care about fashion. So I need some help! I don't want to be super stylish or trendy, but I do want to look more put together and not like I just rolled out of bed. Can you guys please help me create a list of basic wardrobe staples? Things that I can wear often but won't get old? I have no idea where to begin!:shame:

I'm also terrible with shoes...I have trouble walking in heels...and even flats hurt my feet! Is there another alternative? Any other shoes that would look cute?

Thanks guys! Any and all help is very much appreciated!:flowers:

Could you tell me a bit about your body type???

Sure...I'm 5'2" and quite stocky...like solid lol...I guess I always have a hard time shopping because I feel like everything makes me look really thick and wide! :shame: I'm currently trying to lose some weight (I'd say I'm about 30 lb overweight) and thin out a bit. I hope that answers your question lol - let me know if there's something specific you're wondering about....

What's your budget like are you looking for a wardrobe that would cover all seasons? I'd love to help.

Um, I don't have any specific budget...I'm not looking for designer clothes or anything...my favorite store is Anthropologie, does that give you a better idea? And I'm looking for all kinds of clothes - I spend my summers in southern California and go to college in Massachusetts, so I need summery clothes as well as winter clothes. I have trouble in summer because I always resort to tshirts, shorts, and flipflops, and I have trouble in winter because I only wear jeans and thick coats! Some girls can always look so cute, no matter what season it is, and I wish I knew how to do that!

You guys are great, I sincerely appreciate your help and any advice you could give me!

OK...how about a few sundresses to star...maybe a black and brown...because they can be accessorized a ton of diferent ways! Target actually had some great dresses that would suit your body type well...

Just for an example...this way you could wear it with flip-flops or with a dressier shoe...with a cardigan over for Fall, etc...
41r5peTUvPL._AA262_.jpg

Then...you need some good basic t-shirts (black, brown, white, grey)...as well as some wide-leg linen pants (also at Target). Again...these can be worn in a ton of combinations. A good pair of jeans...a good pair of black pants...one fun sundress in color, and one GREAT going out top. Then get accessories...so you can change your look with jewelry, shoes, a scarf, etc....
I suggested Target because you said that you are trying to lose weight. The clothes are cute, affordable, and you won't feel terribly sad about letting them go once they are too big for you!!

^thanks! I really like your suggestion of shopping at Target while trying to los weight...I've gotten into the habit of not buying new clothes because I didn't want to waste money. Grabbing a pen to jot everything down...

I totally agree with *annemerrick* about trying to stick with affordable (and therefore disposable!) brands while you're trying to lose weight. Some places that are relatively cheap and trendy are Target, Forever21, and H&M.

This dress is cute for the fall/winter/cooler days. You can dress it up with tights, flats and a colorful cardigan to give it a pop of color.
http://www.forever21.com/product.as...y_name=dresses&product_id=2047280832&Page=all
47280832-01.jpg

http://www.forever21.com/product.as..._name=dresses&product_id=2047378356&Page=all#
I think this can work for both summer and winter:
47378356-04.jpg

Throw in some fun jewelry and you're good to go!

Have you tried the cole haan air nike soles? They are supposed to be so comfortable. I would also try lots of different brands because one might fit your feet better than another. Wedges might also be an option for you. You should definately invest a comfortable pair of flats and a great pair of basic heels. Shoe sizes never change!!

i agree. ^^
get a nice pair of flats. i think you just need to keep trying more and more on to find a comfy pair. theyre super comfortable but look dressier than sneakers. for heels, wedges or lower heels maybe around 2 inches are good for dressier occasions.

i think you definitely need a nice pair of dark jeans. those look much more put together than ligher washes.

since you dont wanna waste all your money on clothes while your losing weight, shopping at stores like h&m and forever 21 are great. just be careful. don't go for all the latest trends because that can end up looking very typical. gets some nice basics that will work with anything.

since you are a senior in college, i would recommend starting with pieces that are a little more professional... like stuff that you could wear to an office job on fridays. i *wish* when i was in college someone had told me to start shopping for work clothes early. work clothes are super expensive when you can't find them on sale! it will help with your transition, and these clothes will last you for a long time.

with that being said, i would enjoy the little time you have left to be super casual! i LOVE casual clothes, and i rarely get a chance to wear them anymore.

i would start with some nicer blouses, casual skirts, and blazers... clothes that are more tailored. these things can still be worn casually, but it will not seem like such a drastic change, so you won't feel as self conscious when you wear them.

i don't really shop at forever21 but since they have a lot of styles i can use them as examples:

48557158-01.jpg

48805612-01.jpg

47065273-01.jpg

47988268-01.jpg

48159709-01.jpg

48907780-01.jpg

46313332-02.jpg

44913553-01.jpg

I'd opt for a few neutral colored skirts, either a-line or pencil, whichever fits your body type better. When I lost weight, I didn't bother spending money on pants, because you can tell when they're ill fitting. Skirts you can usually use for two sizes. When they get a little big, they'll just sit lower on the waist.

Thanks guys! I LOVE the stuff you posted, loserxstar! Thanks everyone for the great tips (and please keep them coming)! I am writing all this down so I can go shopping this summer!