Calming Collars for cats

kmk752

Feb 9, 2010
I recently started using a calming collar on my male cat who has anxiety and spraying issues. They use similar pheromones to the ones the in the feliway diffuser uses, but it has the advantage of always being with the cat everywhere he goes. I actually think it has helped him with his anxiety and spraying issues. He is slightly easier to deal with and I haven't seen him do any of the spraying behavior since he started wearing it. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with these collars?

The only problem I have with this product is that my cat licks it non stop after I put it on. Also he figured out how to take it off and then he chewed it up, so I had to buy another one. It is a really strange, unusual material for a collar to allow the pheromones to be on it. I guess you would have to see it to understand. It is worth a try if you have a kitty with behavioral issues though. Just make sure you put it tight enough that they can't take it off, because they might chew it up like mine did.

i wish i could use one of these for my cat that is TERRIFIED of thunderstorms. i feel so bad for him because even the slightest rumble he FREAKS OUT and cries and wanders around looking for a protective shelter.

I think they are worth a try if you have an anxious cat or one with any kind of behavioral issue. My cat who had a spraying problem hasn't done it since he started wearing one. It is cheaper then the feliway diffuser (feliway refills are $30, calming collar is around $15). I live in an apartment, but I have heard of some people who live in large homes having to buy multiple feliway diffusers, I can't imagine how expensive that gets! Also my cat didn't stop spraying with the feliway. I feel that the calming collar works better because he is actually wearing it, and the pheromones are not weakened as much by being diffused into the air.

I tried this on my cat that meows all the time and it didn't help at all. I also tried using it when I took her on a flight and didn't notice it helping...but glad it helped your cat!

I've never heard of these. Where did you buy it?

Did your cat wear a collar before? My anxious cat does not wear a collar and I don't know how well he'd take to one.

My cat regularly wears a collar so he didn't particularly hate the calming collar. It is kind of awkward getting it on but once you get the hang of it, it is fine. I think it helps him because I haven't seen him spray since he has started wearing it. He is still a little brat though. I am thinking of putting him on prozac because he is one crazy little cat!