Workplace Calling all mothers with careers in Psychology!

Dec 14, 2006
(Forgive me if this is a bit personal)

My current plan is to get my Ph.D in Clinical Psychology, but I'm a bit scared as to how it will affect me being a wife/mother down the road. I don't want to have kids when I'm in my 30's, and I don't want a nanny raising them. I'm not sure whether I should go for it, or get an M.A in Psych which will limit my career choices but give me time for a family.

My question is, how did you ladies balance grad school with getting married and having kids? Is it possible? And if you don't mind sharing, what age did you get married and have kids at? I've heard it's looked down upon if you break the unspoken "no babies before dissertation" rule. :sad:

TIA!!

You can do it, it's just gonna take some time. I have a couple of friends in your position, and they're doing ok....just taking a bit longer than they want. ;)
How old are you and when do you plan on kids and hitting grad school? Also, once you get into your field, will your time restraints ease up, or will you be in the office 60 hours a week?

I have a Ph.D in Psych and I knew plenty of women with kids that were in my program, and to my knowledge, they were not discriminated against because of that. I don't have kids but I would say at least half the people in my group did, men and women both. Many of them used child care services provided by the Uni so it wasn't all that bad. I certainly would not let school stop me from having kids if I really wanted them.

I say go for it now while you can, get your PhD then you always have a choice what to do with it. If you decide to take time out to be with your kids you have a great background then to go back to when they start school & with that qualification you can dictate your hours to suit theirs. I stayed at home to rear my kids & I do not regret one second of it I wish I could have it all over again!

I am also a Psych major and next year I start med school....I do not want to have kids until after med school and residency (so I'll be around 27 28 ish). I feel that I wouldn't be giving my career or my kids the right attention they needed. As for after the schooling and I begin my career, my mom is going to help me out with babysitting.

That is the plan, will it be the same when the time comes...who knows!