Cabas Question

Joshawaa

Nov 16, 2009
Recently I had ventured out to Holt Renfrew to check out a Cabas and of course I fell in love with them all on first sight, don't we all?
What I was wondering though is how much they could really hold weight wise. I was more specifically wondering if a vertical cabas could support my 15 inch Macbook Pro, it's a retina one so it isn't as much of a weight as a regular one but it still concerns me.
Is this a rational fear or am I just being silly?

I would never put my MBP into my vertical cabas as there is just isn't enough support on the base. You may want to consider the horizontal one but even then I will never put my laptop into a cabas.

The SAs use to say and market that the cabas can hold up to 5kg but I wont do that. The cabas is great for a casual relaxed day out but not a sturdy laptop bag.

And yes, it is a rational fear and I don't think you should take chances especially with your laptop. It might fall out since the cabas is open top.

yeah, i think so too... and cabas has this slouchy delicious thin leather.. i'm afraid that if you put things more than 3 kg in it, the stitching on the handle will just tear it off... i cringe at the thought!!! i won't even think of doing it!!!

maybe the SA is talking about 5kg within the whole base and the items are well distributed within the bottom of the bag and not just in the middle.. but i would not even test it.. too risky!

but if you really want to, maybe you can try putting a base shaper underneath..

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought the cabas came in lambskin (thin, delicate, buttery) OR calfskin (more durable, thicker)? One shouldn't have to baby the calfskin. Correct me if I am wrong!

Cotonblanc is right, and in fact I asked the same question here a couple months ago when I got my horizontal cabas. Different SAs have told me they hold 5 or even 10 kilos, but this will put too much stress on the handles where they are stitched on. I carried my MacBook retina in my cab as for a while, but then gave up using it as a laptop bag because it's not practical with the slouchy leather and the leather was really starting to stretch.

I bought a Cabas for Christmas thinking that it would be good for me for uni... I bought it knowing that I would NOT be able to put my laptop in it.. I have the same laptop as you.. The SA specifically told me that the bag can ONLY hold about 5kgs without stretching or damaging the bag... I later sold it to a friend as I am studying architecture and well you carry a lot of stuff (even without a laptop), meaning that the Cabas would be pointless!! So yeah if you were thinking of getting a Cabas to hold your laptop, forget it!! How about a H Double Sens... It is similar in design but since it is in Clemence, it would be a lot more stronger and thicker than the Celine option.. Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision!

When I first had my cabas, I didn't put much in it. But as time passes, and the leather get scratched, worn out, I give up on looking after it. Now I put everything in my cabas, iPad, shoes, camera, wallet, make-up. I even use it for gym! I was worried about it at first, but it's actually fine. However the leather does get stretched a little bit, so if you are worry about that I wouldn't suggest you put too much stuffs there.

I always wonder what people who own the cabas put in it..tissue paper? Bubble wrap? It's so much bag for how little it seems it can truly carry. But I've seen the phantom cabas and the calfskin options seem capable of carrying a sweater, book and water bottle. A good carryon for people who don't carry on much

DO NOT PUT YOUR LAPTOP in your horizontal cabas or any cabas for the matter!

I personally own a horizontal cabas and seriously you will cause severe premature saggage since the weight wouldn't be evenly distributed and the bottom would give out.

I always wonder what people who own the cabas put in it..tissue paper? Bubble wrap? It's so much bag for how little it seems it can truly carry. But I've seen the phantom cabas and the calfskin options seem capable of carrying a sweater, book and water bottle. A good carryon for people who don't carry on much

I agree(I have a horizontal cabas) it's alot of space relative to the weight that should be carried in it, but its good for light bulky items for instance - scarves & jumpers. Also its a great bag to grab, throw in your phone, keys, a book & run out the door - so perfect for rushed days, where the simple chicness will offset any potential disheveledness!

Last edited:

I have a Cabas horizontal and made a thick plastic bottom for it from corrugated plastic so it keeps it's shape...I even use it as a beach bag and shopper instead of those supermarket carriers! It will hold a hell of alot and takes the weight.

Yes, you can make the bottom of the cabas more rigid, but ultimately I think this defeats the purpose of the bag, which is a buttery soft sloppy tote. After quickly realizing it would not work as a laptop bag (not only because the weight stretches the leather, but also because the laptop flops around all over the place), I searched for the "perfect" tote that could hold my laptop sleeve and other stuff, and would stand up by itself without falling over. It took a while, but I finally found it: a Comme de Garçons stiff leather tote. You can see pics here. I got it in a lovely reddish orange which is the exact same shade as the Box in my avatar. I would have loved to find a Céline bag for my laptop, but I'm really happy with this one and it was so much less expensive too.