buying preowed clothing

I buy 90% of my clothes on ebay. I’ve been doing this a long time; it works for me. I ask lots of questions, because I need exact measurements to ensure proper fit. I also have alterations done on most of my business wear, to make sure my clothes fit perfectly.
If a seller doesn’t respond to my questions, or seems unwilling to answer completely, I pass on the item.

I wish I was more successful with my second hand buying. I find it ok when you buy randomly depending what you see and find. But I try to keep a list of needed items and not very lucky.
Im in Europe and only use local listings or Vestiaire Collective to buy good brands. (Acne studios, Tibi, Isabel Marant, Prada…) But the pieces sold are either way old or off, or overpriced if still cool and in my size…

I buy both online new and second hand. If I buy second hand, if there are not enough photos or if I have questions I ask them.
If I don‘t get an answer, e.g. after a second email I abstain from buying. Too risky that something is going wrong. Usually if the vendor is trustworthy and your question is normal, they usually answer.

For color assessment I also google the item I want beforehand as the other suggest. Even the brand webpage sometimes get the color wrong or it is displayed differently depending on the device or computer screen you are looking on…

I like other actually prefer buying online even shoes because I don‘t like the hassle in the city, which is usually packed (before the pandemic at least), but even now… I have finally learned what sizes I need from certain brands I buy from and even if you need more assistance, the service usually can help you (e.g. measuring shoes properly etc.).

Last edited:
I usually pass if I am not familiar with brand sizing. If thestyle is something Ireally want and I'm not too particular on color, I go for it. Some items (current and recent) have stock images out there, all it takes is a quick reverse Google image search. I personally buy and sell a high volume. But it is quite annoying when someone doesn't answer your questions. A GOOD sellet will answer them in a timely manner, or at least say "I don't know"

I ventured into buying preowned online during the lockdown. So far, so good. I try not to ask too many questions when I know I am not 100% keen on buying. I avoid buying from sellers with very few photos or low ratings. I buy within a budget so that if things don't work out, I won't lose too much money.

Reactions: Sophie-Rose
I did end up getting a bella dahl top on Posh. I had the same top in the same size so knew it should fit. The seller answered my questions about color and condition. It wasn't new with tags and has one or two loose threads on it but no stains or tears. I got it for a very good price ($10 plus shipping for a top that retails for $130). so that worked out for me. I don't think I'd buy any preowned clothing items unless it was a style I already had. With this one, for some reason, it fits but the sleeves are tighter than on the top I already had. It's ok, still fits but maybe different seasons, they made the sleeves different for some reason.

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
I did end up getting a bella dahl top on Posh. I had the same top in the same size so knew it should fit. The seller answered my questions about color and condition. It wasn't new with tags and has one or two loose threads on it but no stains or tears. I got it for a very good price ($10 plus shipping for a top that retails for $130). so that worked out for me. I don't think I'd buy any preowned clothing items unless it was a style I already had. With this one, for some reason, it fits but the sleeves are tighter than on the top I already had. It's ok, still fits but maybe different seasons, they made the sleeves different for some reason.
I just got my fourth Bella Dahl top from Posh. This one was a slightly different style, which I didn't notice even when delivered - caught it when I was ironing it. It's maybe my least favorite but not a fail.

I don’t have any luck-I don’t know why..nothing fits..I'm heavy on things despite my size-I need them from new and wear them to death..my washing isn’t great(it’s improving !), the few things I’ve bought on eBay are high end designer bnwt, but I think atm I only have one jacket..when I bought a coat from TRR (J Mendel), it fell apart..I know you can save a fortune, but I just waste a fortune..so it’s cheaper in the long run for me to buy new …unfortunately !..

Reactions: Jktgal
I don’t have any luck-I don’t know why..nothing fits..I'm heavy on things despite my size-I need them from new and wear them to death..my washing isn’t great(it’s improving !), the few things I’ve bought on eBay are high end designer bnwt, but I think atm I only have one jacket..when I bought a coat from TRR (J Mendel), it fell apart..I know you can save a fortune, but I just waste a fortune..so it’s cheaper in the long run for me to buy new …unfortunately !..
I have historically preferred to buy in BNM stores where I can try things on. but these days I don't feel like driving a half hour to the mall and paying top dollar. so on some things if I'm familiar with the brand and if seller will provide measurements, Poshmark works for me.

Reactions: cecchetti
I've bought a few tops on Poshmark. they were all basically the same manufacturer and same style so I knew they would fit. Now I'm eyeing a different style from the same manufacturer. Since I don't know if this style will work for me, I'm trying to get one for a low price. I've had two sellers decline my offers. I get it. But I don't like to buy something and then try to re-sell if it doesn't work out. Wish I could at least communicate with the sellers to try to soften the situation so they wouldn't be so insulted.
Guess I'll have to decide whether to pay more or to wait for a more motivated seller. any thoughts?

Reactions: cecchetti
I've bought a few tops on Poshmark. they were all basically the same manufacturer and same style so I knew they would fit. Now I'm eyeing a different style from the same manufacturer. Since I don't know if this style will work for me, I'm trying to get one for a low price. I've had two sellers decline my offers. I get it. But I don't like to buy something and then try to re-sell if it doesn't work out. Wish I could at least communicate with the sellers to try to soften the situation so they wouldn't be so insulted.
Guess I'll have to decide whether to pay more or to wait for a more motivated seller. any thoughts?
Sellers won’t sell at a loss-unless they’re private sellers literally trying to offload a mistake, so you may have to bite the bullet and try one for size..

I’d buy one and risk it..but that’s me..

• Thanks
Reactions: Antonia and sdkitty