Buying pre-loved Chanel

Question: when investing in a pre-loved timeless Chanel piece (e.g. the jumbo), how important is the year in which the caviar came out? Say, if there’d be one from 2013 and another from 2018, which one to go for? If condition is about the same (the older one has sat in the cupboard). Difference in the price tag, but not a major one. Would both hold their value? On another note, can someone comment on the quality of the caviar in both of those years? TIA!!

Overall older caviar is better quality than newer caviar. Some years, some ladies consider better than others but it is subjective IMO. If price was similar, I would go with the newer bag, as the newer a bag the greater the resale, for the most part IMO. That being said the 2013 bag would have cost the owner considerably less than then 2018 bag so maybe you can negotiate price more so on the 2013 bag.

Question: when investing in a pre-loved timeless Chanel piece (e.g. the jumbo), how important is the year in which the caviar came out? Say, if there’d be one from 2013 and another from 2018, which one to go for? If condition is about the same (the older one has sat in the cupboard). Difference in the price tag, but not a major one. Would both hold their value? On another note, can someone comment on the quality of the caviar in both of those years? TIA!!
Caviar skin is always caviar skin. Price for the second market will depend on the condition and model. If it’s classic or not. If you want to save money the most buy Chanel classic in bad condition and give it to Chanel spa. They do fantastic job and you will get like new bag. Just be sure it’s authentic.

Caviar is always caviar, yes. . . but it does differ skin to skin, season to season and bag to bag. Some is shinier than others and sometimes it's a little more dull.

Like Swanky said, it depends on the season and the bag. I have two different black caviar bags, the Mini and the Jumbo and you can tell a difference in their leather. The Jumbo is shinier than my Mini Rectangular is, even though you'd assume that two black caviar bags would look the same, but they don't. Same with my SLGs, they are all different seasons and look different from each other.

I'd go with the one that you like the look of more, since you said the condition is very similar and so it the price of the two. Take a closer look at the caviar on both bags and go with the one that you like the look of the most. Some people prefer matte caviar, some love a shiny caviar, then there is people who like super small grains and some prefer bigger grains on their caviar leather. It all depends on your preference