Buying my first Vuitton "man bag" (story)

r.b_boi

O.G.
Jul 17, 2010
Hi everyone,

i'm fairly new to the forum. i've seen tpf pop up on my google searches several times when looking for something, but chose to ignore it. How silly of me, i've been missing out on all the great conversations and people! Anyway, as the title of this thread plainly states, this is a story about the purchase of my first louis vuitton man bag, well my first man bag ever. Idky people call it that, i think i'll just call it a bag.

i would first like to highlight that this is, or rather was, not my first piece from vuitton. I purchased two shawls back in 08. One was that very bright vibrant red that appears orange-ish when taken on poor quality cameras and the second was the same scarf in black (which was sadly lost at my grandmother's house in boxes of clothes). My first time making a purchase at the lv store in lenox mall atlanta, ga was amazing!! It was actually july 4th when i bought that red scarf. As i was a fashion merchandising/retail management student i would visit the boutiques and chat up the SAs, not forgetting to make the occasional purchase (as my budget allowed). Many of whom still remembered me when i went to back last may (making it about two years since i was last there).

Anyway, on to the story. So I was coming back to the states on leave from afghanistan. As they do not permit you to fly back in civilian attire and i did not have the foresight to pack any more civilian garments than the one outfit suggested on the packing list (this one outfit was to be worn in case we were injured and had to be sent back to the states). Well, figuring that if i was injured, how i looked would be one of the least of my concerns (but mostly not wanting to mess up my good clothes), i packed a sweatshirt with my company's logo, a well worn purple and black striped shirt from some skater shop in california, a pair of ratty old versace jeans (complete with bleach stains), and supra sneakers (extremely comfy).

Initally, i thought of going to buy a quick outfit, change, and then return when i was dressed appropriately. However, a good friend of mine would not allow me to do such a thing...after all, customer service should not be based on what a person is wearing. If i were to get substandard service, then its a clear sign that the SA was not deserving of the credit for my sale.

so, i walk into the lenox lv...and the security guard looks me over suspiciously, of that i was not too concerned as it is their job to be suspicious of everyone...and not to mention i did not recognize him so he must have been hired after i left. But the part that caught me was the fact that no one offered any assistance. As i looked around the store, no one came over and asked if i could be helped. I was disappointed to say the least. I found it interesting, maybe coincidental that all the times i walked through those doors with my designer clothes, i was treated with the utmost respect and given immaculate customer service. So finally I got fed up, and ask one of the SA to get a guy that appeared to be stock. He walks out and i promptly ask for a keepall 60 (i needed no time to ponder, as i had made up my mind months before on what i wanted). He gets the bag from storage, something told me to inspect the bag before he put it away. Everything seemed fine, until i got to the bottom half, there appeared to be scratches and something that rubbed off on it. I asked if he could clean it off, he first told me it would actually be very easy for me to clean it off myself, when i got home. Call me crazy, but if i'm spending over a grand on something, i want it to be on point. Pointing out their copious stock of keepalls, i politely asked if he would not mind cleaning it. He sighed and went to the back. After about 20 mins of waiting for him to clean it, he comes out and gets me another ka 60. At this point, i'm fed up with the horrid customer service, i whisper to my friend that i'm ready to just get my bag and leave. I was so ready to get it i told him not to worry about packing it up because i would carry it out. He told me if i carried it out, i would not be able to return it, due in part to knowing for sure i would not return the bag but even more so out of disgust from the piss poor service i received and wanting to make a clear statement that i could in fact afford the bag and had not intentions of returning it, i stuck with my decision to wear the bag out.

When i get to the register to pay, i hand him my debit card and id (per usual). He runs my card and it was declined. I was embarrassed beyond belief!! Less than a half hour before i called my bank to alert them to an anticipated string of high dollar purchases, i even told them the names of some stores i knew for sure i would buy from. I call them up, and ask what was going on. They inform me that my account was flagged due to approximately $4,000 in charges posted in in a two or three hour window. The night before i bought the new macbook pro that came out a few weeks prior and some media on itunes, as well as a few gifts for the family. My bank quickly removed the flag and told me i was clear to make the purchase immediately. I hang up the phone and hand the SA my card. He looks at the card and tells me its a "COMPANY POLICY" that they can only swipe a card for debit once per 24 hours if it is declined due in part to a "glitch" in their system that would allow a debit card declined once for insufficient funds (or whatever reason) to then magically approve a transaction that should not go through. He then tells me if i had decided to run the card as credit they could swipe as many times as necessary even if the card was initially declined. Now, i may be on the young side but i'm no fool. I worked in retail for about two years, and in management for a year. So i knew a thing or two about registers, the way they work, and the security system they use (as most establishments use the same, or very similar services). I also knew the whole game SA would play when they suspected fishy behavior such as a stolen card, someone attempting to steal, etc. Also, he failed to realize my friend was from new york and was a veteran of 5th avenue and also had a friend back home that has some connections to people in the industry, to include the store manager of the 5th avenue lv. After asking us to step aside while he rang up another customer (mind you there was a store full of other SA), my friend phones up his friend back home, who calls the lv store manager to find out about this "company policy". I'm then informed by the ny manager, running a card once every 24 hours is in fact NOT a company policy and that he was probably running game on me because he thought i was trying to pull a fast one. I was livid. I was appalled. Ready to just give up and go to the store in store at the saks across the street at phipp's plaza, i began to unpack. My friend, being quite the confrontational one, points out that he, in fact placed a few calls and found out he was lying.

In shame, i left that store. When i got to saks, i walked into the store in store and was immediately greeted and recognized by one of the SAs. I told him of the debacle at the stand alone store, to which he shook his head and said a lot of times that happens. So i purchased the bag without any problems, he even had it hot stamped for me within a few hours and offered me some airbags to help give it shape.

The following day i was in need of pair of shoes, which the store in store did not carry, so i went back to the stand alone (keepall in tow) tried on the san marino moc calf suede, told the SA i wanted those shoes. She takes them over to the register and begins to ring them, i then flatly tell her to send them to the store in store across the street because even though they don't get paid on comission i still wanted the sale to go to that particular SA.

That situation turned me off to the stand alone store completely, and i will NEVER buy anything from that store again.

SN: i told my grandmother about that, and she said she had a similar experience YEARS ago when she went to get a bag for herself. Not one to tolerate ill treatment, she went to hermes and bought a purse then went back to show it to the lv sa. LOL. she even pulled a pretty woman, "you messed up big time" lol.

and so is the story behind my keepall 60. Hopefully i'll never have to endure anything like that again.

Wow...I have heard quite a few stories here of people that have received very poor service from LV's. I have been lucky to have always gotten great service but I am so sorry to hear of your problems with them. That right there might have completely turned me off to the brand if I were you, but glad that it didn't! I am hitting a LV in Chicago tomorrow and making a return...we shall see how it goes ;)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at the standalone store. :flowers:

I too have had bad services from boutiques just because I'm young. But if there was an SA who was serving me who was behaving like the guy who served you in the standalone store, I would ask him to get me another SA that would serve me without an attitude. If he couldn't find one, I'll just walk out and go to the other branch. No point buying from someone who doesn't give you good service.

I always wonder why people who can't serve their customers nicely would want to work in the service industry.

Also, clearly they do not realize that the spending power of teenagers has changed drastically throughout the years.

seems like you always have to prepared for the ultimate battle when entering lv. :sad:
i'm reading lots of horror stories on here.
and i hope they won't ignore when i go to pick up my speedy.

Ugh - that was quite the saga !

You did the right thing though - if you're receiving bad service, don't just take it - walk with your feet and wallet to where you're treated better ! :yes:

Hope you're enjoying your new goodies !

wow...i'm a little surprised and flattered that anyone actually read my really long post. It indeed was an epic, but it ended well. As I said before i vowed NEVER to make a purchase from that store again, which is unfortunate because the store in store, obviously is smaller and has a limited selection. So I have to go to the stand alone and then have them send the item literally across the street, but honestly I would rather go through that trouble then give my sale to a “snobby” SA.

Nice story~ Very detailed lol :smile:

Enjoy your 60!

lol…yes, one of my detracting factors is my inexplicable inability to tell a short story. I thoroughly enjoyed it, while I had it…and I will when I get back to Germany and have it shipped over!! I’m already looking at my next pieces

Wow...I have heard quite a few stories here of people that have received very poor service from LV's. I have been lucky to have always gotten great service but I am so sorry to hear of your problems with them. That right there might have completely turned me off to the brand if I were you, but glad that it didn't! I am hitting a LV in Chicago tomorrow and making a return...we shall see how it goes ;)

I was taken aback when I received poor service, considering that I visited the store plenty of times in the past, had conversations with the SAs, and made several purchases in the past. Coming from a retail environment, I understand that the actions of one individual, and in this case also the non actions of an entire SA team, should not represent the brand as a whole. Not to mention, the people at saks were more than accommodating and made up for the treatment I received at the stand alone (although I don’t think It hurt that I patronized asks A LOT more than the stand alone store…I was even offered an internship at the lv and/or dior store in store to keep me from joining the military lol). Well here I go again, babbling!! Good luck with your return! I saw your thread about the earrings that were not all you expected. I’m interested to see the ring you mentioned! :smile:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at the standalone store. :flowers:

I too have had bad services from boutiques just because I'm young. But if there was an SA who was serving me who was behaving like the guy who served you in the standalone store, I would ask him to get me another SA that would serve me without an attitude. If he couldn't find one, I'll just walk out and go to the other branch. No point buying from someone who doesn't give you good service.

I always wonder why people who can't serve their customers nicely would want to work in the service industry.

Also, clearly they do not realize that the spending power of teenagers has changed drastically throughout the years.

for the life of me I cannot understand whey SAs treat people differently. When I worked retail, my very first store manager taught me never to treat anyone differently based on what they wore or their appearances, because it will be that one person that comes in looking “bummy” that will spend more than the best dressed person in the store. And its true, the biggest sale I had while working at that store was a boy wearing a soiled shirt, shorts that should have not been worn for anything other than playing outside, and muddied shoes. The mother told me he dressed like that all the time, and he kept complaining the kids in school were picking on him, so they came into town to buy some school clothes. I thought for sure they would walk out with maybe a shirt or two and that was it, but I treated them as if they were high profiled loyal customers. They ended up buying over $800 in clothes (mind you I was at american eagle outfitters, which is a lot of merchandise). Under normal circumstances I would have asked for a different SA, but considering no one acknowledged my presence since I walked in the store, I knew it was either deal with him or go to another store, which I ended up doing.

seems like you always have to prepared for the ultimate battle when entering lv. :sad:
i'm reading lots of horror stories on here.
and i hope they won't ignore when i go to pick up my speedy.

I hope you do not have any problems either, will this be your first piece? I see your profile says you are in Germany, which store are you looking at patronizing. I ask because I will return to my duty station in Germany in the next four months or so, and I’m debating on whether I should purchase my lv in germany while I’m there, make trips to paris to pick them up, or order my products from the states. Do you know if they accept the vat form, as the exorbitant taxes are enough to make me want to purchase my products in the states. I guess if they do accept the vat, then I’ll see how the prices compare to those of the states. If I’m going to pay more for the exact same bag I can get from lv in the states, then its pointless. Although bags that can only be found in paris or in europe would be more than worth it!!! LOL.

Ugh - that was quite the saga !

You did the right thing though - if you're receiving bad service, don't just take it - walk with your feet and wallet to where you're treated better ! :yes:

Hope you're enjoying your new goodies !

When he told my I could not swipe for another 24 hours my heart sank, but I was determined to get my bag that day! Lets just hope I, nor anyone else for that matter, ever experiences a smilier fiasco. I WAS enjoying my things, but I had to leave them back in the states, when my leave was over. I’m really anxious to get back to Germany, so my parents can send it to me. I’m curious to how the vachetta is aging (especially because its sitting In my parents attic). Maybe I’ll have my parents send me some pics, but I have not gotten a response to my last email asking how it was doing. I have a sneaking suspicion someone (probably my sister) is enjoy that, even as I type it.

Last edited:
I hope you do not have any problems either, will this be your first piece? I see your profile says you are in Germany, which store are you looking at patronizing. I ask because I will return to my duty station in Germany in the next four months or so, and I’m debating on whether I should purchase my lv in germany while I’m there, make trips to paris to pick them up, or order my products from the states. Do you know if they accept the vat form, as the exorbitant taxes are enough to make me want to purchase my products in the states. I guess if they do accept the vat, then I’ll see how the prices compare to those of the states. If I’m going to pay more for the exact same bag I can get from lv in the states, then its pointless. Although bags that can only be found in paris or in europe would be more than worth it!!! LOL.

yup, it's my very first lv purchase.
since i live in frankfurt, i'm going to the lv here.
fortunately, i've only heard good things about the lv frankfurt. however, i'm a 19-year-old girl and i don't have any designer clothes to wear. hahah. so they might treat me as if i couldn't afford anything. i'm prepared for that.

no idea about the vat, though.
however, i assume that the bags are way cheaper than in the u.s.
isn't the speedy 35, for example, around €475 here, whereas it is $750 in the u.s.? i might be confusing prices now... :sweatdrop:

oh, i'm not sure...i should probably do the leg (or rather math work) and check. I'm actually excited to hear there's a store in frankfurt. I live in bamberg, and i was afraid i would have to go to munich or nuremberg, and i do not know anyone that stay in either of those cities so i would have to wander around to find it.

from my experience germans are really nice, so it may not be as big of a deal as it would be in the states. it sad that one is judged not by other customers, but rather by the sa's. anyway, i am so excited for your first purchase!! i cannot wait to see your reveal.

OP, congrats on your keepall 60.

My favourite part of your story was about how your grandmother went back to show the rude LV SA her new Hermès bag. :lol:

Me too! Most of the wealthiest people I know dress like bums - I'd be suspicious if someone wore their Sunday best to the store and wonder what they were trying to prove! I'm afraid I'd be so upset if I was treated badly I'd never enjoy my bag anyway.

Me too! Most of the wealthiest people I know dress like bums - I'd be suspicious if someone wore their Sunday best to the store and wonder what they were trying to prove! I'm afraid I'd be so upset if I was treated badly I'd never enjoy my bag anyway.

my grandmother is a very sweet woman...but she cannot tolerate poor service lol

Check these out.

Picture248.jpg

Picture252.jpg

Picture247.jpg

Picture250.jpg

Picture249.jpg

Picture251.jpg

Picture253.jpg

Last edited: