Buyer protection?

bagatella

Jul 28, 2007
I recently won a bag on Ebay, and as it turns out, the seller lives about ten minutes away from me. I am contemplating whether to ask if I can pick up the bag in person and save on the $30+ shipping.

If it turns out the bag is fake (I'm 99.9% sure it's real), what is my buyer protection status with EbaY?

Am I protected only if I pay via Paypal? Do I have any protection if I pay with cash?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You have more of a protection paying w/ a cc or w/ Paypal. With cash, it's hard to dispute unless the seller is super nice and will repay you. IMO, I just don't think it's wise to pay w/ cash. If the seller allows you to pick up the bag, and you get to examine the bag in person before handing over the money, I think it should be okay. But make sure you can def authenticate this bag yourself, and maybe bring along someone as a witness to the transaction. Even if it is authentic, make sure you inspect for any stains, tears etc as well.

you can also post in the authenticate this thread and then if you do decide to meet her, make sure it is in a public place and have someone with you...

As a seller, I never allow pickups in person. (My one exception was when I sold a bag to a Purse Forum member but she paid me via paypal before she picked it up.) It's a risk to both parties. You have no protection if you pay with cash and no proof that you paid for it. I'd pay the $30 shipping and have peace of mind.

i agree with lori you should not pick it up in person. i think to use a credit card is the best way to have protection as paypal and ebay are worthless at helping you get your money back in many instances. hope it works out for you.

i agree with lori you should not pick it up in person. i think to use a credit card is the best way to have protection as paypal and ebay are worthless at helping you get your money back in many instances. hope it works out for you.

Thanks all! That's what I have done. I'm just nervous now because I sent the seller several emails with no response. I still don't have the bag, even though the auction ended like 3 days ago...with Priority shipping, it should have been here by now.

If you paid via credit card through paypal the seller might be waiting for those funds to transfer from her paypal act. to her bank, which can take three days. As a seller I won't ship out a bag unless those funds have transferred to my bank, just to be on the safe side. So don't worry yet. V
ETA: The seller still should respond to your email. I hate it when they don't bother to respond but it seems to me more and more common IMO.