Buyer Protection, New Seller, big $$$

Baggiana

O.G.
Feb 11, 2008
I am bidding on an item with a high price tag from a new seller with only one feedback as a buyer. I emailed for additional pics which he provided, so he appeared to be responsive, and from the pictures that he sent, the item is authentic. Because he is a new seller, his Buyer Protection is only $200. If I pay through Paypal with my credit card, and something untoward happens, will I be covered? Is there anything else that I need to consider?

I understand - and maybe not correctly - that paypal is holding seller's monies until the item is delivered, and feedback given to the seller by the buyer? - maybe 21 days? From my point of view, this would protect me since the money would still be available for refund if something goes wrong. Is this the case?

I am assuming that all will proceed smoothly, but I just wanted to check with someone ahead of time.

TIA!

I'm not sure, but I just sold an item on ebay and was able to withdraw the $$. It hasent' hit my bank account yet, but I didn't get any error messages or anything.

Well, this [21 day hold] may or may not happen to him.

Regardless, pay with CC because if you have to file a Paypal claim you will only get the $200 back and the CC will cover you for the whole amount.

I would not recommend buying such expensive item from sellers who don't offer $2000 buyer's protection. The seller could be responsive and all at first, but disappear as soon as you paid. Paying with CC can offer protection but it's a time consuming process.

It depends how much you want it and if you could get it from a more established seller. As far as holding funds it doesnt always happen. I have never had funds held but i have ahigh feedbac score, maybe for a new seller they would hold.

Thank you, all, for your advice. Since I could not retract my bid, I went down to the line, but without my usual fight. Luckily, I was outbid at the last moment, and this was the first time I have been happy to be outbid.