Buy one nice item a month at pricey boutique....

I like to shop at consignment stores and especially thrift stores! I usually go to a consignment store to find jeans (selection is more updated... not all acid-wash high-waisted horrors of the 80s!) and I can find pretty much everything else at my favorite thrift store. I snagged a vintage versace RTW dress for $20!

I'd prefer the 1 item vs. a bunch. I've been away from H&M and the like for so long that even going in for a basic t-shirt now doesn't make me as happy as it once did to just buy a lot. I think it is well worth it.

The most expensive clothes I ever buy are probably from Express... so I do tend to choose quantity over quality most of the time. Except for glasses, sunglasses, handbags and beauty items. That's where all my money goes!

I've recently switched to the quality over quantity mindset and I am actually saving money :smile: Now before I buy anything I go over the following mental checklist:
-is it special?
-does it work with anything else that I have?
-is it too similar to anything else that I have?
-when would I wear this in the next 3 months?

If I can get through all of these questions I go ahead and get it without any guilt because I know that the price is worth it because it is going towards building my wardrobe. Surprisingly, DH is onboard with this practice because "I'd rather you get one really nice thing than a whole bunch of crap" :tup:

To clarify, DH thinks my current wardrobe is filled with "crap" because I used to buy anything on sale, regardless if it fit well, was the right color, was practical etc... So right now I have a lot of stuff that just doesn't work for me because I was thought I was getting a bargain.

i definitely lean toward quality pieces and if i do go to forever21, i try to limit myself to just a few very trendy, of the moment items a season so that i won't feel bad when they go out of style since i didn't spend that much anyway. it helps too to make a list of what you would like to add to your wardrobe and have ideas before you shop. that way, you can avoid the impulse buys that you may regret later.

I've recently switched to the quality over quantity mindset and I am actually saving money :smile: Now before I buy anything I go over the following mental checklist:
-is it special?
-does it work with anything else that I have?
-is it too similar to anything else that I have?
-when would I wear this in the next 3 months?

If I can get through all of these questions I go ahead and get it without any guilt because I know that the price is worth it because it is going towards building my wardrobe. Surprisingly, DH is onboard with this practice because "I'd rather you get one really nice thing than a whole bunch of crap" :tup:

Kendal, this is fabulous advice!! I will think about this when I shop...thank you!!! :smile::tup: And good that your DH agrees with this!

I think a good thing to do is clean out your wardrobe as a first step. Once you know what you really wear and love its so much easier to decide what to spend $$ on. For me certain basics get really worn, like my black v-neck sweaters, so this season I want to splurge on a really nice one. More trendy items like a cute purple sweater jacket from BR I'm happy spending less on because I don't expect to wear it longer than a season (if I do though, great!). I think its fine to spend more on things but honestly I don't expect most of my clothes to last beyond 3 years max. So I never think in terms of lifetime investment.

My mom was a seamstress so I have learned from her for being picky when it comes to clothes. I always turn the garment inside out to look at the threads, the lining, the button, the shape, the feel of fabric, etc... A lot of times I walk by H&M and love their style, but I know I won't like it after all if I turn it inside out. After a while, I know what brands work for me so I only shop at that store or look for that specific brand. I set a limit on how much I am willing to pay for certain items. If I am undecided, I would ask myself if the item is not on sale, would I pay full price, and it works like a charm... Well, not always... Anyway, since I am picky, I do not buy 'crab', but even when designers' items go on sale, I do spend way over, and it's not good either, not all designers' items are classic you know... Just ask yourself how many times you are going to wear it and see how much it costs you each time...

I buy expensive items used (usually they aren´t even used, someone bought the wrong size and now wants to get rid of it cheaper) or in sales. With cheap items such as H&M I buy quite rarely, but I like to buy trends there, things I know won´t last long.

There is nothing wrong with buying lots of stuff at H&M if you wear it and love it!

First off, don't write off those stores for stuff. I'm wearing a La Redoute button down blouse right now because it fits great, classic and is surprisingly durable. You can keep shopping there, just be more picky.

Next, like mentioned before you NEED NOT spend tons of money on your wardrobe to have an insanely nice one. TRUST ME. First, when you go to the consignment store, take store credit for your stuff and then rummage around and see what you find. YOU'D BE SURPRISED. From experience, I've gotten Rick Owens jackets for $25, Etro this season full-length dresses that were in VOGUE for $35, Oscar De La Renta skirts from the full-priced runway line for $7, etc... And, all that (plus WAY MORE) was just in the past few months. So, don't write off consignment. Also, cruise around on ebay. Watch out for fakes, but mixed in there you can find some AMAZING deals. Last week, I found a Chanel blazer for $170.

Next, sign up for store promotions at the nicer department stores at your mall and go and track down their Off5th or whatever they have. YOU'D BE SURPRISED WHAT YOU FIND FOR 95% OFF. TRUST ME.

Have fun shopping and be creative! Start small and don't feel like YOU HAVE TO have a super high-end closet because maybe right now H&M is great for you and where you currently are in life!

Thank you ladies for your replies! It makes total sense to buy staple pieces at the higher end stores and the basics at H&M. My problem is that once I step foot in there, I always see things I want and it's so hard to not walk out of there without spending a small fortune. I guess I have to learn to focus on what I went in there for (basics) and walk past the other stuff. I have a good size wardrobe right now with a mix of high and low and I don't really need lot but when the seasons change I like to shop, especially for fall clothes!!

I used to do the same, go into a high street shop and buy lots of cute outfits. But since I started shopping for designer stuff I really don't want to do anything with cheaper brands. My way to avoide shopping on the high street is simple: I don't ever even go into those stores any more. And when I want to wear something easy/cheap (for sport or weekend away in the countryside, etc...) I either wear stuff that I bought before I developped "designer taste" or I get basics from thrift stores.

I am not above wearing cheapies, like from Target, F21, etc. and I do. I just don't have a lot of these items in my wardbrobe. IMO, when you come to a certain age you need clothing that is well made and that will last and looks fabulous on you. It really makes me mad when I spend $20-$35 at Target or F21 on a top or two that washes up poorly and looks ratty after 4-6 months. I will buy plain T's and tanks from these places though because it makes sense. I would rather spend the same $20-$35 at TJ's/Marshalls/Off 5th on something designer or better made that will last longer.