Burberry trench and sleeve altering, help?

christa

O.G.
Jan 15, 2008
Hi! :smile:

I got my first Burberry trench (yay!), but the sleeves needs to be shortened.

Do you usually move the loops up to maintain the proportions?

The department store’s seamstress warned me that moving the loops might leave really bad marks, and she would not recommend it. Has anyone experience with these kinds of marks and fading them out? Can they be faded with a needle (lightly brushing the needle over the holes to even out the threads in the fabric) and a garment steamer?

I understand that if the sleeves need to be taken up A LOT, you might have to move the loops, but is there a general rule to this? What do you think about my situation?

If I leave the loops down, am I making a fashion crime..? Ruining Burberry’s style and intended proportions?

The cost of alterations isn't an issue, as this coat is so expensive that I just want it to feel right.

Here’s pictures to show how much I’m talking about. Sorry for my messy closet, been busy! :doh:

If I decide to leave the loops down, I’m thinking of leaving the sleeves as long as possible, so that the proportions will be as little as possible affected. I think the length shown in the pics is the absolute maximum I can get away with?
I’m also under the impression that when wearing the coat over time, the wrinkles by your elbows will lift up the sleeves. And I the pics I'm wearing a t-shirt under, so with a sweater the sleeves will be lifted up a bit.

I appreciate your thoughts :heart::heart::heart:

IMG_0622_zps2ufaekr6.jpg

IMG_0624_zpsnxouhx3i.jpg

IMG_0625_zps3h6vr3f6.jpg

IMG_0626_zpsfpubpmig.jpg

Hi! :smile:

I got my first Burberry trench (yay!), but the sleeves needs to be shortened.

Do you usually move the loops up to maintain the proportions?

The department store’s seamstress warned me that moving the loops might leave really bad marks, and she would not recommend it. Has anyone experience with these kinds of marks and fading them out? Can they be faded with a needle (lightly brushing the needle over the holes to even out the threads in the fabric) and a garment steamer?

I understand that if the sleeves need to be taken up A LOT, you might have to move the loops, but is there a general rule to this? What do you think about my situation?

If I leave the loops down, am I making a fashion crime..? Ruining Burberry’s style and intended proportions?

The cost of alterations isn't an issue, as this coat is so expensive that I just want it to feel right.

Here’s pictures to show how much I’m talking about. Sorry for my messy closet, been busy! :doh:

If I decide to leave the loops down, I’m thinking of leaving the sleeves as long as possible, so that the proportions will be as little as possible affected. I think the length shown in the pics is the absolute maximum I can get away with?
I’m also under the impression that when wearing the coat over time, the wrinkles by your elbows will lift up the sleeves. And I the pics I'm wearing a t-shirt under, so with a sweater the sleeves will be lifted up a bit.

I appreciate your thoughts :heart::heart::heart:

IMG_0622_zps2ufaekr6.jpg

IMG_0624_zpsnxouhx3i.jpg

IMG_0625_zps3h6vr3f6.jpg

IMG_0626_zpsfpubpmig.jpg

Congrats on your first Burberry trench! I don’t know much about alterations, but the sleeves don’t look too long to me — if you need them shortened, I don’t think you need that much taken up.

Is there a Burberry store near you? If so, I’d take the coat there and see what they say. You don’t have to buy your coat there for them to tailor it, although you’ll probably have to pay for the alterations. I brought in a trench I bought from a Burberry outlet 10 years earlier and the tailor shortened it for me. So there’s no time limit at the boutique.

Why not wear it for a while and see if the sleeves feel too long after you’ve gotten used to it? Like you said, it will hang a little differently when you have a sweater on underneath.

Reactions: aksaiyo
the loops look fine to me. if the alteration will be done from bottom, I would probably just keep it as is. If you can visit a Burberry store, that may be best. I’ve had my alterations done at their store and they have moved the loops on some and left it on others. No vidible marks on mine but they are all dark colors.