Bright Colors or Practical?

Jan 29, 2009
I am trying to decide between a couple bags and I am having a very hard time. I like the large Madison Shoulder Bag in Purple, Black and Brown and the Alexandra Satchel with the gold and silver studs. I am trying to decide which is the best purchase on a practical side. I have some black bags and a siggy brown one. I don't have any colorful bags but I am not sure if they are practical, I have never owned anything really bright like that purple so I am not sure if that can be a dressy bag or simply something with jeans. The studded satchel is nice and I like it but I am leaning more toward the shoulder bags...does anyone have any input? RL pictures of that studded satchel would be appreciated as well.. Thanks

I do not have any pic however I am the kind of person who always wear black, white, pastel or light color all the time. So I start getting bags in red, green or some statement bags. Since you have black and brown, should you get something in color? Just wait for someone to post pic :smile:

Several years ago I stopped buying all practical colors and ventured into the world of rich vibarant colors. I have never been sorry. I still have my practical colors to fall back on when needed, but absolutely love the brighter colors! GO FOR SOME COLORS GIRL!

I agree with above posters. I was afraid to get any colored bags for so long and now that I did, I see that it goes with more than I thought and want more colors ;)

I love it when people play with colors and do it right

I've seen that particular shade of purple and I love it with heather gray, as well as dark gray (charcoal for some) and brown but warm brown, and you can even wear it with blue and greens depending on the shade..and burnt orange..love

best part is if you don't feel comfortable wearing colors with it, ask yourself do you have a basic black coat you throw on? when you're on the street and you're with your coat and purple bag it looks simple, the black but the purple adds a splash of color

I'm a neutral gal, too, but then I suck at matching colors so it's just easier to go neutral anyway. But I have tried branching out to a little color, mainly pink/peach type colors, just for variety. I think the purple Madison is actually pretty neutral for a purple and will go with a lot, I'd say go for it and have fun with it!

I used to ALWAYS only go for the practical....black or brown, "safe" colored bags. It was only after I joined this forum that I realized I totally needed bags with color! So I got a pink patent charm tote and it was my favorite bag all summer! I also got a turquoise leather Kristin for spring/summer, AND just recently the cobalt Hamptons! I've totally stepped out of my comfort zone with the colors, but I'm lovin' it! Color really can make a simple, classic outfit pop! Although purple is not for me personally, I think if you are ready to leave your comfort zone, the purple shoulder bag is a great choice! You'll love this bag!

^yup! and life is too short for practical. not that you should just go for wild colours. if you love black you love black

but if you like a color you should go for it, worry about what to wear with it later, or better yet, buy some new clothes to go with it! ;)

^yup! and life is too short for practical. not that you should just go for wild colours. if you love black you love black

but if you like a color you should go for it, worry about what to wear with it later, or better yet, buy some new clothes to go with it! ;)

Yes!!
And surprisingly, you'll find clothes in your closet that will look great with it, without even realizing you had them to start with! That's what happened to me. I was amazed at how much stuff I already had to coordinate!

I've said this in other posts so please forgive me for repeating. Once you have your basic black, brown and navy purses, you really should get a mood-changer purse. The purple of the Madison line is just the right shade to give your wardrobe a "pick me up". It looks really well with black, different shades of grey or winter white. And if you're really feeling bold one day, tie a bright yellow-printed scarf on it (go Lakers)! :cool:

I agree with what others have said about colors, especially purple. Purple I almost consider a neutral when it comes to bags because it truly goes with everything. I tend to buy conservative bags but in colors other than black or brown because, well, a bag is my accessory so if I'm dressed for work in something unexciting, my bag can be my dash of color even if the style itself is conservative. Just my take on it.