bought a bag but more "used" than described

teagirl1

O.G.
Sep 5, 2009
I just bought a Coach bag on ebay in a style I used to own and regretted selling. It was described as in "VERY good used" condition. Seller said there were some scratches on leather which added to the patina. It just arrived, and there are dark marks on the front of the pocket where the colour is worn right off of the leather on both sides, giving it a dirty look. There are water stains on the bottom . i emailed the seller with my concerns. He replied the he "represented the bag accurately as stated that it was a used bag, in very good condition and that it did show signs of use including some marks and scratches. Because of this I did agree to sell the bag for $50 less than the buy it now price and waived the shipping fee and gave that for free."
There was no mention of any "marks" in his emails with me. There was no discussion of giving me a discounted price due to condition. I asked what he would accept, made that bid and he sold to me. Plus I paid $25 for shipping ! (and I have paypal receipt to prove it".
His position is that used is "used" ie buyer beware.
I will try and upload a photo of the marks. i can't clean it because the color is worn off the edges, not just a dirty mark.....
Do I have a leg to stand on with ebay or paypal?

Is that a camel Coach Shoulder Bag? They tend to wear like that. You can try filing with ebay. Make sure you are very specific about what is wrong with the bag because the seller can escalate it once you file and then you can't respond any more. So put everything in there, including a link to your photos.

^^ Good thinking elle.

Yes, I would file a claim for this...this is unacceptable, and I think it's really unfair when sellers do this.

If you claim use his exact words from the listing and description vs. your pics..i.e. he says "scratches" where you can clearly see complete wear of the colour or discolouration...IMO this is not "represented...accurately", surely!!

At this point you have nothing to lose so you can try to file a claim. Watermark is unacceptable, if he didn't mention in the description. Agree with noshoepolish, list everything as specific as possible.
I'm so sorry that you are disappointed with the bag that you've been looking for....:sad: you know, I personally never buy used white(ivory) bag on eBay. I don't trust any listing said "in very good condition"...

At this point you have nothing to lose so you can try to file a claim. Watermark is unacceptable, if he didn't mention in the description. Agree with noshoepolish, list everything as specific as possible.
I'm so sorry that you are disappointed with the bag that you've been looking for....:sad: you know, I personally never buy used white(ivory) bag on eBay. I don't trust any listing said "in very good condition"...

Good point..."very good condition" is different for everyone...but you certainly wouldn't describe a bag with the colour worn from the leather as VGC!!

I have filed a dispute with Ebay, and the seller has 7 days to respond. All of our communications have been thru Ebay mail, so Ebay will be able to see, and I was very careful to use wording he listed it as, and then the actual.
Also, I checked his feedback and about the same time i got this, someone else bought another coach bag from him. Their feedback says neutral and that the bag was dirty and not as described. i emailed that seller and she said the bag was dirty, had damage to the handle that he had tied a Coach scarf over (came with bag) and the Coach scarf was torn. Grrr. If only I had seen her feedback before buying my bag!!!

there were photos but there were no marks visible in the photos.
whoops i just reread my last post. I meant to say that I emailed the BUYER of the other Coach bag and she said it was dirty, scarf torn etc....

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!joE2IWC(zO8BNi2JSB,mw~~0_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!joE2IWC(zO8BNi2JSB,mw~~0_12.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 138