Bottega Veneta Purchasing Pause?

It was a good run while it lasted, Diane.
I think you made it a whole three weeks! :lol:

I know. But I got delirious when I had the flu. And then, while I was just looking at the bag, I got dizzy and accidently clicked on the purchase button. I was too weak from illness to call vestiare to try to cancel my purchase. Thank God I’ve recovered. It was a close call. :eek:

You're not alone honey, I'm joining you there right now.

My problem is, and I don't know if this has been discussed previously, I have just not been feeling Bottega's new style anymore for a while. Maybe two or three years.

I have made a not so bad collection made mostly by Venetas, Cabats and wallets that I would of course love to expand, but those are classic styles and I would have to get most of the new ones through the preloved route since they are in very specific seasonal colors.

I love some other styles like the Parachute or the Cesta, but I would much rather get another Veneta, or another Cabat since they aren't really different enough for me to buy. Other styles, like the Roma and the Monaco, although dead drop gorgeous, haven't worked for me and I have had to part with them. And others like the Knot Clutch are just too fancy and too beautiful for my lifestyle (may have to at least get a black one someday, although not soon.)

I am truly saddened since I feel my heart is made of intrecciato, but I hope the pause in our relationship will only make us bond stronger than ever. LOL, if that wasn't incredibly cheesy, then I don't know what would be, but it's true. Meanwhile, let's enjoy some margaritas and mai tais while getting a nice tan!

Intrecciato is what brought me to BV. I am saddened to see it fading away. But I have done well on the resale market and keep thinking I’ve got enough, only to stumble across a color/treatment I thought I would never own and feel compelled to add it to my closet. It’s partly because I feel that BV is moving towards a younger demographic. I don’t think anyone at BV HQ has said, “But what about the 68 year olds? What are we going to do for them?” At least, no one’s said it to me...... :sad:

You're not alone honey, I'm joining you there right now.
My problem is, and I don't know if this has been discussed previously, I have just not been feeling Bottega's new style anymore for a while. Maybe two or three years.
I have made a not so bad collection made mostly by Venetas, Cabats and wallets that I would of course love to expand, but those are classic styles and I would have to get most of the new ones through the preloved route since they are in very specific seasonal colors.
I love some other styles like the Parachute or the Cesta, but I would much rather get another Veneta, or another Cabat since they aren't really different enough for me to buy. Other styles, like the Roma and the Monaco, although dead drop gorgeous, haven't worked for me and I have had to part with them. And others like the Knot Clutch are just too fancy and too beautiful for my lifestyle (may have to at least get a black one someday, although not soon.)
I am truly saddened since I feel my heart is made of intrecciato, but I hope the pause in our relationship will only make us bond stronger than ever. LOL, if that wasn't incredibly cheesy, then I don't know what would be, but it's true. Meanwhile, let's enjoy some margaritas and mai tais while getting a nice tan!
Are we related? :lol:
I was just ranting about this. See below.

There was some discussion about that back in December. Nothing surprises me. I mean, wouldn’t you rather have a $3500 heavy mini bag with lotsa chains, studs, grommets, foofoo hardware and blingy embellishments instead of a gorgeous smooshy simple $1700 leather bag? Gosh, I know I would :rolleyes:

Good choices. :yes:
What’s sad about this post is that three of those four classics have been discontinued.
Oh Bottega, what happened to us? Was it something I did, or didn’t do? Please come back to me BV. Stop straying with the teens and overly trendy fauxionistas.
You’ve lost your soul darling, but I’m here waiting with my door and wallet open. You’ve forgotten that your own initials are enough, but I can’t quit you baby... I’m not ready to give up on you yet :lol:
giphy.gif

Intrecciato is what brought me to BV. I am saddened to see it fading away. But I have done well on the resale market and keep thinking I’ve got enough, only to stumble across a color/treatment I thought I would never own and feel compelled to add it to my closet. It’s partly because I feel that BV is moving towards a younger demographic. I don’t think anyone at BV HQ has said, “But what about the 68 year olds? What are we going to do for them?” At least, no one’s said it to me...... :sad:

Yes, yes, yes! If you are 68, then you are the exact same age as my mom and I think that she would scream with so much joy because somewhere, a gorgeous lady like you feels the same way as she does.

I have loved the brand ever since I was a teenager because of her. My first ever designer piece was a wallet she bought for me when I turned 18. One of my first ever designer purchases was a Veneta I bought some months later. This wasn't ages ago, but I still use that wallet every single day and I still use the Veneta quite often and my heart just skips when I take it out. Needless to say they are still pristine, of course. I mean, they are Bottega Veneta and no less.

What I want to say is that, at least to me (and obviously not to Tomas Maier anymore and the big people at Kering overall), Bottega Veneta is ageless and timeless, unlike some other brands or even styles. They don't need to do crazy stuff to get the youngsters looking at them. If they have good taste and style, they're going to like the brand (humble much? LOL.) It's just not their spirit and it just doesn't really suit them, although that's just my rotten opinion, because people who would have never looked into the brand are now jumping into the bandwagon. But to give some validation to my point, just look at Valextra, Moynat, Delvaux or black coffee. They are not everyone's taste, but there's people who will always love them regardless, and thus, that will always keep on lusting after them.

And that's what I have always loved about the brand, and of course, that I have been in the both the most God forsaken places and the fanciest ones carrying my Bottega pieces and not have been given a second look, unless someone from the intreccioclub recognized them. I have grown (and even ungrown) so much in my tastes, but my favorite pieces from them are still here with me and will always be. I guess that's how moving on should be, right? Keeping the good stuff while moving into other good, or even better stuff. So sorry for the super long reply.

Are we related? :lol:
I was just ranting about this. See below.

LOOOOOL, I love you! I am so awfully bad at summing up my thoughts and you and Diane just summed everything with very few and elegant words and an Oprah gif.

I just hope that they go back to their older self so that we can go running into the store as in that gif where Oprah runs barefoot over hot coal.

Reactions: diane278
LOOOOOL, I love you! I am so awfully bad at summing up my thoughts and you and Diane just summed everything with very few and elegant words and an Oprah gif.

I just hope that they go back to their older self so that we can go running into the store as in that gif where Oprah runs barefoot over hot coal.

They will try to do what pays off in profits. And I don’t their new plan will work. I’m concered that by the time they realize they are going down the wrong road, the merchandise will be so changed that there won’t be the option of going back to their base, because that base will be gone. I mean, how much demand is there going to be for those cabats with the giant pimples on them? I’m thankful that I have a collection that can carry me through, even if I never bought another bag....although never buying another bag is not my preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeyjuju
They will try to do what pays off in profits. And I don’t their new plan will work. I’m concered that by the time they realize they are going down the wrong road, the merchandise will be so changed that there won’t be the option of going back to their base, because that base will be gone. I mean, how much demand is there going to be for those cabats with the giant pimples on them? I’m thankful that I have a collection that can carry me through, even if I never bought another bag....although never buying another bag is not my preference.

I don't think so either! Maybe we will just be dead by the time they change their minds. I also have this conspiracy theory that the board from Kering told Tomas Maier that if he didn't do something to revamp the brand, they would chop his head off the same way they did with Tom Ford, Frida Giannini, Stefano Pilati, Alexander Wang... you get the picture. If you think of it, the big brands from Kering have been the ones that started with the crazy stuff. Think of Gucci pre and post Alessandro Michele. Everybody says the brand had become so boring and predictable, but that "boring and predictable" style was what made us previous hardcore fans actually love it. Not all of us want to look like "fauxionistas", as V0N said. Some of us actually want to look polished, and you know, normal to some extent.

And don't get me started on the Cabats. I was doing some Christmas shopping with a friend and entered the Bottega store (I know that sounds like a pleonasm.) I was pretty surprised to see so many Cabats on display, especially because this is a tiny, tiny space dedicated to the brand that doesn't even have the store's architecture since it's in the middle of a department store. My friend said the color of one looked like a Cheeto mixed with nacho cheese and that the other looked like it was made of grass.

Unfortunately for me, I am yet to complete my collection and am quite far from doing so. I really feel, unlike you, that my Bottega collection can't really carry me through. But then again, and agreeing with you saying that never buying another bag is not your preference, when can one's collection actually be complete, right? And also, when can one actually ever get enough from this brand?

Reactions: Stansy and diane278
Thought I share. I downloaded an app called Stylebook, and used it to record my ‘bag habit’. Quite a fun app, eg we can also mix clothing from our own wardrobe, and log it for future usage (I have not done it yet). Found it useful in purchasing pause - the app helped me understand which bag I used most, and which one I have not really used. Trying to use it to better plan future purchases and reduce impulse buying!

Sample of calendar page:
IMG_3823.jpg

Thought I share. I downloaded an app called Stylebook, and used it to record my ‘bag habit’. Quite a fun app, eg we can also mix clothing from our own wardrobe, and log it for future usage (I have not done it yet). Found it useful in purchasing pause - the app helped me understand which bag I used most, and which one I have not really used. Trying to use it to better plan future purchases and reduce impulse buying!

Sample of calendar page:
View attachment 3965345

Maybe we should start a thread posting our own calendar page from this app?