Boston

It would probably be worth your $$ to stay somewhere closer in the city....cabs can get expensive, and you would rather spend your $$ elsewhere like sight-seeing and enjoying the food or baseball games. I highly reccommend the Duck Tour (I know, I know, I'm lame, but I still love it). I lived in Back Bay, so definitely check out Newbury and Fanuiel and the Pru/Copley Square.

If you are a foodie, I highly recommend taking the North End Market walking tour. It's about 3 hours long and the guide takes a small group through the "Little Italy" section of Boston. You get to sample some Italian pastries, taste good balsamic vinegar, and learn about the region's history. You will have to register and pay for this but I think it's well worth it.

That's funny I have a red sox schedule in my purse but I always get stuck with all the fans and can't avoid it since I have to go near Kenmore to go home. You gotta love the Green line. haha

Also parking is expensive my older brother flew in from out of town to introduce me to his financee and we had lunch..He had parked for less than 2 hrs in a garage near the Boston commons and it cost him $ 50.00. Granted money isn't an issue for him but I was shocked at how much he paid..

Oh yeah ... the old "Green Machine" ... UGGH!!!

If you have ridden any other subways, be prepared for a "bumpy" ride! It's the oldest subway in North America; you will hear screeching wheels and it's not the smoothest ... however, it's usually the best bet for getting around the city as Parking $$$ is INSANE! Do try to avoid the "peak" times ... e.g., when the Red Sox have a game at Fenway or the rush-hour, when not only are the professionals making their way into work, but the college kids are going to school (with loaded backpacks!).

About a block over from Newbury Street, is Copley Place and the Prudential Shops. Copley Place has Neiman Marcus, Barneys NY, J.Crew, etc. - while the Prudential Shops has Saks Fifth Avenue. Gretta Luxe (aka Gretchen Monaghan) also has a store on the Copley side. In addition, there is also a Gucci Store, Jimmy Choo, etc. - Copley is the "high-end" mall.

In addition to the Newbury Street ($$$) shopping, there is also the Chestnut Hill Mall, which has Bloomingdales and Barneys NY Co-Op. Sadly, because of the recession, there are a few more empty store-fronts than usual, but it's still a good shop stop. Somewhat diagonal from the Chestnut Hill Mall, is the Atrium. When it first opened, there was a Henri Bendel, but alas ... no longer. J.Crew, the Gap and Anthropologie are in the Atrium as well as Borders and The Cheesecake Factory for lunch/dinner.

Further down the road, is Newton Centre ... which has some small boutique-y stores, albeit ... some can be rather pricey!

Finally figured out how to post the pictures! I uploaded them to flickr and then saved them to my desktop... it seems to be working! I hope these are visible to you... For those of you who don't know, we met and had drinks and dinner... here are some group shots! We need a reunion! :smile:

Attachments

• tpf1.jpg
    tpf1.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 50
  • tpf5.jpg
    tpf5.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 45
  • TPF2.jpg
    TPF2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 58
  • tpf3.jpg
    tpf3.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 50
  • tpf4.jpg
    tpf4.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 42
yay! congrad. i work in boston..but lives in another town around 45 mins away. Boston is alright. Not much of nightlife..compared to NY and others.
There is a japanese town..called "Porter Exchange"..well not so much anymore (they recently closed the japanese market). Resturants Blue Fin..Miso Ramen(super good and huge portion for around $10-12$) and Japanese Bread(YUM!) can be found there. For all you can eat sushi.. go to MINADO..it's in the town NATICK, dinner buffett are 25$..they also have lots of raw fishs.and HUGE alaskan crab legs! the resturant HARU..have really good sushi as well.. No more japanese markets...there is 88(now HK market)...there are alot of Korean Market around(which sells almost the same things).
Shopping wise..Newbury St., Prudential , and Copley. But my fav is the NATICK COLLECTION, i go there every week. lol
I have two dogs..and i only go to PETSMARTs for daycare, grooming and health checks(i use their pet issurance). There is the Polkadog Bakery..they make doggy cakes.
I agree with above..parking is expensive (i pay 405 a month for just work parking >_<).
Prudential and Copley is around 12$ for 4 hrs..if you BUY something. Natick Collection is FREE.
Also. QUINCY is a pretty DANGEROUS town. My fiance ..will NEVER leT me walk alone at night/dark in QUINCY...and espically DORCHESTER. Actually..i wouldn't walk around BOSTON alone at night in general. So becareful!

Let me know if you have anymore question. i'm happy to help ^_^

Yes! We can either do it sooner (nicer weather) or later (christmas decorations are beautiful!). It was a good time. I have the day off today, and I'm procrastinating going to the gym by hanging out on TPF!) :smile:

Who's in for a Boston TPF Meetup??? Please remember to discuss meeting time and place details in PRIVATE MESSAGE only! But let's throw some dates around in here! What do you think? :smile: :graucho: The last one was really fun this summer!