Blue sapphire and diamond eternity band question

Kathd

O.G.
Jan 23, 2011
Hello ladies,

I fell in love today with a princess-cut, channel-set diamond and blue sapphire half eternity band.
The diamonds are F, VVS1, with a total caratweight of .51. I believe the total caratweight of the sapphires is .72.

So now my question is: are all sapphires the same or is there anything that I should pay special attention to? Are sapphires graded the way diamonds are?

I didn't yet get the chance to view the certificate - I will request for it when I go back to order the ring (it's a special order which would take about six weeks, because I have tiny fingers and it has to be custom made).

In addition, these would be my first princess cut diamonds - anything I should pay particular attention to here?

Moreover, would you pay extra to have it made in platinum instead of 18k white gold?

Thank you very much for your advice!!

Can you return it if it's not to your satisfaction after you buy it? Would you be wearing it with other rings? Get the same metal those rings are made in. I always push Plat but that's bec I like it and cannot wear gold anyway.

Gems like sapphires are not graded the same way. Many ARE graded, but not in the same way. And finding a jeweler using small ones that are actually graded is not usually super easy, since many won't do it for stones under about a half carat. Some won't go below 1ct.

When looking at sapphires the most important question is heat treated or not? You can also look at the stones to gauge saturation or consistency of color. The color itself is a matter of taste as well. Dark, dark sapphire are the least expensive and desired, a rich deep Burmese blue is the most highly desired color, but pale blue sapphire are pretty too.

Thank you, ladies!

I would wear it alone, but the stack on my left hand is all platinum, as well as my day-to-day necklace and my day-to-day earrings.

DH and I also visited Tiffany yesterday, to see if they have something simelar. Apparently they do (diamonds are round though), but nor DH nor I were very fond of the color of the sapphires - they were lighter than the ones of the first ring I saw and we both prefer the dark ones (and apparently the cheaper ones as well!)