Tech Blackberry versus i-phone

tireebabe

May 11, 2008
I have been using a blackberry for the past year and love it however I am due for an upgrade in a month or so and am considering changing to an i-phone.

My main use of my current phone is email and internet however I also use my ipod on a regular basis.

Does anyone have any experience of both of these.

Any pros or cons.

Please help me make my decision.

TIA xx

I don't know about the music thing - but I have a BB and my best friend has an iPhone. She LOVES it and thought I was crazy when I didn't get it. I just don't like the whole touch screen thing. She has no problem with it. So I guess it's a personal preference. See if you can "test out" an iPhone and maybe then you will know. I do know that everyone that has one, loves it.

There are always tons of posts on this subject on the mac forums and really it all comes down to personal preference. The main highlights that are always mentioned are:

1. BB does email better in that all emails are centralized into one inbox, you have multiple signatures and BB email also includes all the bells and whistles such as any email client on a computer would.

2. BB's physical keyboard. Some people prefer the actual keys, although it does take away screen real estate

3. iphone is far superior in internet usage

4. iphone has an ipod built-in which is easier to use than BBs music player and iphones also sync easier and better with itunes

5. iphone may lack a few small features that a BB has (blackberry mobile is one big one people seem to like that I can think of right off the bat), but the iphone has a huge number of apps available for download. I dont think I have ever come across a need for something on my iphone that I couldnt find an app for.

6. And of course, BBs are available on multiple different networks, whereas iphones are exclusive to AT&T unless you go through the process of jailbreaking and unlocking your iphone.

Hope this helps some.

I hate touch screen, which is why I got a BB instead of the iphone.
musicwise I still carry my ipod around, but I don't want a mp3 player & phone in one, so I don't care!!
Blackberry is the best thing I have EVER bought haha I LOVE IT!! :smile:

Charles, yes u can listen to music in bb or most of the phones on market now :smile:

i'm using bb because i'm not into touch screen and i love the email features, the bbm and it looks tougher than an iphone, i;m scared i would break the beautiful iphone :P i;m pretty careless, i drop my bb bold couple of times and it's still running strong

At a certain point, both phones have so many features that it comes down to personal taste. If you like a physical keyboard, iPhone isn't for you. If you want the best internet browsing on the market, maybe it is. Blackberry does email better, but iPhone has cooler apps. If you already use iTunes to organize your music and you're happy with it, and would rather stop using your iPod, maybe you'd like the iPhone. All the features trade off with each other, I don't think it's possible to find an objective "best," only what's best for your preferences.

I will say that Blackberry's music player is crap, I still carry my iPod Touch everywhere. Between the two, I like Apple's internet interface better. In fact, I'd probably much prefer an iPhone, since I also have a Mac, but I'm unwilling to switch to ATT. I'll probably get one at my next upgrade in a year if the iPhone/Verizon rumors pan out. But I don't dislike my Blackberry - it serves my needs very well.

I have a hard time typing on the iphone so I still use my bb. I think I might be able to get used to the iphone, but I do type a lot on my bb which is why I've been hesitant to make the change.

I've used both, and I personally prefer blackberry because my husband and a couple of my friends also have blackberries, and we communicate via blackberry messenger, which is just like IM and doesn't use a texting plan. If the iphone had the ability to run apps in the background to allow push notification of instant messenging, I would not have switched back. I know jailbreaking will allow it, but I wasn't willing to do that.

As everyone else has said, they are both awesome phones, and it's really just a matter of what your priorities are. I would say that if media/internet/games is your main focus, then the iphone is probably the better bet, but the blackberry reigns in communication.

I was planning on getting an iphone but the salesman talked me into getting a Blackberry Pearl. I have had a lot of phones of the years and this is by far my favorite. The iphone has limitless potential for apps. As has been mentioned however I am an advocate for using the actual keyboard. I haven't been able to get used to the touch screen. I also like to have my ipod be seperate from my phone because I use it while running and prefer a smaller ipod compared to the large iphone.

My husband has an iPhone and try as I might, I just can't get the hang of the touchscreen. Must be my sausage fingers. :rolleyes: Ideally, I'd there would be a blackberry that also has awesome iPhone-like web browsing capability, but since that doesn't exist, I think I'll just get a blackberry and an iPod Touch. I don't mind having two separate devices, since I always carry a purse. Plus I like how compact the iPod Touch is - great for exercising. (whereas a larger iPhone would not be quite as good for exercising)

I love apple, I have a Mac and an ipod but I have a blackberry not an iphone. The BB is the most reliable mobile equipment I have ever used. I love the keyboard and all the great apps. I tried the iphone in the apple store and couldn't work the touch screen easily because my fingernails get in the way (even though they are not that long) so I'll just stick with my BB, I think it's great and I also have Verizon which is the best network I've ever used.

I think it's definitely a matter of personal preference. I love my iPod Touch and think it's soo much easier to use than a regular iPod, but I couldn't imagine typing texts or e-mails on it. Plus, BBM is super convenient. If you're considering a change, go to the store and use the iPhone for a bit.

Personal preference but having had both and knowing that your primary use is email I saw BB. The iphone has a better internet experience but the ATT network is so bad it doesn't matter. The iphone is cool but my next phone is a blackberry again.

I have both and love both. I have a pearl for personal and bold for work and the new iphone 3gs. I am getting the hang of the iphone touch and it's not too hard at all. I will most likely keep using both because I love what I can do on the iphone but use my BB messenger.