Black Edge Paint - Yay or Nay?

2cello

Mar 16, 2017
I never noticed purse edges before frequenting purseforum. This is probably a technical nerdy topic that only I am interested in, but the topic comes up once in awhile here and now I'm curious:

1) do you pay attention to this?

2) why is it cheaper to use black edge paint? I'm assuming it is cheaper because this seems to be a divider between high end bags and other bags. However, I did peruse some bags on the net and saw celine, Chloe, Gucci and miu miu bags with black edge paint. I can see that the black "outlines" the bag and makes its features pop more.

So what's your opinion on edge paint?

I never noticed purse edges before frequenting purseforum. This is probably a technical nerdy topic that only I am interested in, but the topic comes up once in awhile here and now I'm curious:

1) do you pay attention to this?

2) why is it cheaper to use black edge paint? I'm assuming it is cheaper because this seems to be a divider between high end bags and other bags. However, I did peruse some bags on the net and saw celine, Chloe, Gucci and miu miu bags with black edge paint. I can see that the black "outlines" the bag and makes its features pop more.

So what's your opinion on edge paint?

Most bags will have black or brown seal edging. Occasionally some bags will have a flash of a contrasting colour. I have no problem with it.

A black edge paint on a colored bag is a deal breaker for me. I started being particular about this feature when I got exposed to Massaccesi bags which have edge paints the same color as the leather.

But I do see some premier brands having the very prominent black edge paint for, say, white bags. Nay for me!!

Reactions: Shelby33
It depends on the style of the bag and how much the black contrasts with the bag color. On lighter color bags, I don't like the look of the black edge as much, though I'm quite happy with it on my red Gucci Disco! I did have to check the bag as the first one presented to me had the edging very sloppily painted on. The second bag was much cleaner!

As for maintenance, it's a lot easier to touch up on bags with black edges. I have a pot of Kote Edge that I use on all my black bags - have used it on my MK and Balenciagas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2cello
I hate it on pale bags. I can accept it on contemporary brands but definitely not premier, it’s just lazy imo.

Upside of using black edge kote though is that it’s easy to be repaired at the cobbler’s.

Like most others, it depends on the bag. There are certain designs where the contrasting edging make features stand out. It won't prevent me from buying a bag, but I do take time to appreciate bags where the paint is thoughtfully applied.

It's less expensive for manufacturers if they only use one color because they're able to buy it in one large bulk quantity, don't have to spend work hours on mixing the colors, applying it to the appropriate bags, ordering constantly depending on color sales, etc.

I have never thought about this. But I almost always get black bags. [emoji38]

I think it depends on the color. On a saturated color bag the contrast can be nice. On a pastel it gets iffy.

Today I am carrying a hot pink pouch, the brown edging makes it look more structural so I am a fan.

I notice it, and I don't really like edge paint at all. I'd rather have the leather folded under and stitched. If I have to have it, I'd like it to match the leather.