Food Birthday party: Food Ideas???

holly798g

Mar 26, 2006
My husband's birthday is next weekend and we're throwing a party for him, any ideas on what type of food I should make?? We're not necessarily having a dinner, but I'm sure most people won't eat before so I'm hoping to make a bunch of snacks...because I'm sure everyone will be using the snacks as a substitute for not eating. A guest list of just around 15 people.

It's going to be a very CASUAL thing, so I'm looking for some simple ideas on what I can make, without(hopefully) having to worry about the food all night. I'm trying to think of things I could make before-hand that would be easy to keep warm, or don't need to be kept warm...

Any ideas??? ANY help will be very much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance :yes:

Tapas are awesome. Very easy, too. The latter is from the Adult Birthday section on Foodnetwork.com, just some ideas. Good luck.

Birthday Buffet
Green Beans with Toasted Pine Nuts
White Bean Salad with Green Olives
Boston Lettuce, Orange and Onion Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Lemon Strawberry Cake Roll
White Chocolate Cake with Fresh Raspberries
Chocolate Cupcakes with Butterscotch Icing
Artichoke, Olive, and Roasted Pepper Antipasto
Orange-Glazed Flank Steaks
Rosemary-Garlic Roasted Potatoes

I had a surprise birthday party for my DH a few years ago. Although, the guest list was bigger...it was a family party...lots of kids, the party itself was casual, just like yours.

We also did the appetizer "thing". I had it "catered" (we picked all the food up) from his favorite casual dining restaurant. We ordered the whole appetizer menu...in large quanities. It was not really that expensive and everybody LOVED it!

A huge soup or crock pot of chili with different breads and shredded cheeses with with. I've also done just the meat, beans and tomatoes in the pot and had different peppers (sweet green, mole pablano and jalepeno) and onions (yellow, vadalia, scallions) chopped in bowls on the side so that everyone can add their own ingredients to make it hot, sweet, etc. Chopped cilantro on the side and dried cumin, dried red peppers, (chopped fresh) or garlic powder...you can make an entire centerpiece out of it and it's fun...just a thought.

A huge soup or crock pot of chili with different breads and shredded cheeses with with. I've also done just the meat, beans and tomatoes in the pot and had different peppers (sweet green, mole pablano and jalepeno) and onions (yellow, vadalia, scallions) chopped in bowls on the side so that everyone can add their own ingredients to make it hot, sweet, etc. Chopped cilantro on the side and dried cumin, dried red peppers, (chopped fresh) or garlic powder...you can make an entire centerpiece out of it and it's fun...just a thought.

Wow that's a really good idea!!! Thanks so much :smile:

I had a surprise birthday party for my DH a few years ago. Although, the guest list was bigger...it was a family party...lots of kids, the party itself was casual, just like yours.

We also did the appetizer "thing". I had it "catered" (we picked all the food up) from his favorite casual dining restaurant. We ordered the whole appetizer menu...in large quanities. It was not really that expensive and everybody LOVED it!

Thanks for the good idea!! This sounds a lot easier than trying to worry about doing it all myself, thanks alot!!! :smile:

My own recipe. Great for a cocktail party! Low fat. Quick and easy.

Chicken Paprika Parmesan Nuggets

4 Chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless (around 1+ pounds): cut into chunks. I like the frozen diced chicken breasts by Tyson in the frozen chicken dept in the supermarket. Tyson's diced makes this recipe super quick.
1.5 Tbsp good quality Hungarian paprika
2 tsp dried thyme
3/4c parmesan cheese (or other light-flavored dry grated cheese)
1/2c bread crumbs
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly. Then add eggs and mustard and beat. Add chicken chunks and mix.

Spray baking sheet with Pam. Drop coated chicken pieces onto sheet.

Bake at 350 for around 30-40 minutes.

Tapas are my favorite! MMmmm! Definitely tapas are a great idea.

You could also just go to BJ's or a wholesale club and get the little appetizers in the frozen section that you just heat up. SO easy!!! Personally, I think they have many different kinds that are delicious.

A veggie platter is also always welcome and cheese, nice crackers, and fruit. Finger foods are great.

We have gone out and bought BBQ (pulled pork), buns, potato salad, pasta salad, baked beans and coleslaw, all from the deli. That might be a strictly southern thing, though.....hmmmm....do you grill outside at all? Lots of options there. Sausage balls with cocktail sauce is a big hit around here too. Very easy to make, too.