Big Little Lies

Oh man, the mommy wars are my favorite! Lol.
It's such a fascinating dynamic.
I was so relieved for Jane when the therapist assured her Ziggy wasn't a bully. Ziggy has been through so much there. And I agree her secret about his dad is heartbreaking.
I enjoy Laura Dern's portrayal of Renata, but the character isn't likable to me so far. So I was glad Madeleine sabotaged her party. Madeleine is my favorite...despite her cheating.
This show is like the best of a scripted Real Housewives in the hands of an amazing storyteller!

Love Madeline and her daughter Chloe - "I'm on your side woman" lol "woman are you out here starting trouble"

That little girl cracks me up every time.

Reactions: Tivo and Megs
I've got the book, but didn't open it yet.
You, guys, right about Ed's creepiness, he didn't show any of it in previous episodes, did he? I didn't like the way he looked at Abigail or whatever her name is, the elder daughter, but didn't think much of it. Need to read my book.
I agree! I did a double take when I saw how long he gazed at his stepdaughter. Then when he just drooled over Bonnie and her sweaty body...just rude.
Ha ha...I got the book and am trying not to read it. I did sneak in the first few pages:smile:

So glad you said this. Not having children, I really wasn't sure if that is what teachers are like today. I find her entire affect to be annoying. Wow, is it both twins? Could be and no wonder she is so terrified.
The worst part was the orientation day when she basically forced Annabella to pick out someone who tried to strangle her. I mean, nothing like putting a 6 year old on the spot in front of all of her classmates AND their parents. No one knew Ziggy - he is the new kid. Could he just have been an easy target?
I kind of appreciate her pulling Jane aside for coffee to discuss it more with her. The teacher did see that weird interaction with Annabella and Ziggy (when he was staring at her and she wasn't singing) - I can see how that looked semi-hostile on Ziggy's part but it was definitely speculation. I think she had good intentions but I'm fairly certain her school wouldn't have been okay with what she did on orientation day. That just set it all up for disaster. ugh.

As far as if her bully could be one or both twins - they haven't had any real spotlight on them in the show but that could be the writers trying to throw us off. Just like I think they are trying to throw us off with this whole Renata/Maddie war...would all of that really push someone to murder the other?! There's a whooooole lot of dysfunction and crazy narcissism but murder? :confused1:

This show obviously has me intrigued. haha

Reactions: chloebagfreak
I agree! I did a double take when I saw how long he gazed at his stepdaughter. Then when he just drooled over Bonnie and her sweaty body...just rude.
Ha ha...I got the book and am trying not to read it. I did sneak in the first few pages:smile:
Yeah I do not know what is up with Ed and his weird thing and that comment about the women sweating. :amazed: Is he just socially inept?
I would find it so hard not to skip to the end of the book to figure out the murder mystery! :smile:

Yeah I do not know what is up with Ed and his weird thing and that comment about the women sweating. :amazed: Is he just socially inept?
I would find it so hard not to skip to the end of the book to figure out the murder mystery! :smile:
I think Ed is just a typical Silicone Valley computer nerd guy who designs websites for a lot of $$$.

The worst part was the orientation day when she basically forced Annabella to pick out someone who tried to strangle her. I mean, nothing like putting a 6 year old on the spot in front of all of her classmates AND their parents. No one knew Ziggy - he is the new kid. Could he just have been an easy target?
I kind of appreciate her pulling Jane aside for coffee to discuss it more with her. The teacher did see that weird interaction with Annabella and Ziggy (when he was staring at her and she wasn't singing) - I can see how that looked semi-hostile on Ziggy's part but it was definitely speculation. I think she had good intentions but I'm fairly certain her school wouldn't have been okay with what she did on orientation day. That just set it all up for disaster. ugh.

As far as if her bully could be one or both twins - they haven't had any real spotlight on them in the show but that could be the writers trying to throw us off. Just like I think they are trying to throw us off with this whole Renata/Maddie war...would all of that really push someone to murder the other?! There's a whooooole lot of dysfunction and crazy narcissism but murder? :confused1:

They did rip the leg off the hippo. But I just saw that as boys playing to rough, but now I am wondering was it more.

Here’s How Much Those Stunning Homes on Big Little Lies Cost
http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/big-little-lies-houses-cost-location.html

Big Little Lies director Jean-Marc Vallée had never been to California’s stunning central coast when he and the HBO’s series’ producer and locations manager Gregory Alpert set off on their first scouting trip. Writer-producer David E. Kelley, who adapted the Australia-based novel, selected Monterey as the setting because of its physical beauty, demographic mix, and proximity to Silicon Valley. But it was the coastline’s ruggedness and power that sold Vallée, who was particularly taken with the Bixby Creek Bridge on the Big Sur coast, which makes several appearances on the show. “The ocean there is angry and violent and there was a nice symbol,” Vallée said. “The force of humanity, this infinity.”

“That initial two-day trip, we went just to let Monterey wash over us, to get a feel for it,” said Alpert, who has been securing locations for movies and TV shows for over 20 years. “I had been there before as a tourist but never with the eye of filming there. And Jean-Marc was seeing it all with fresh eyes.” Alpert and his team of eight scouts were responsible for finding the ideal locations, securing permits, and serving as a liaison between the production and city officials. Finding the right house for each of the main characters was Alpert’s biggest challenge, but Vallée helped by giving him a breakdown of each woman’s socioeconomic status as well as her viewpoint.

Big Little Lies is full of secrets, but the biggest one might be that a majority of the seven-episode series was filmed in and around Los Angeles, not the Monterey Peninsula area. In fact, only one of the spectacular featured houses is actually on the Monterey Peninsula. Alpert walked Vulture through the show’s main locations, why they were chosen, and how much you’d have to shell out for one.

would all of that really push someone to murder the other?! There's a whooooole lot of dysfunction and crazy narcissism but murder? :confused1:

I think this show does a fantastic job of building tension each week and peeling away the perfect picture...revealing the ugliness beneath. And I feel by the time we get to the murder we'll understand how things got out of control.

The series is getting better and better. Such a pity it will end soon...
Great cast, all the actors are doing an amazing job, including the little ones, but Nicole Kidman is just in another league. It's impressive to me the range of emotions she is able to show only by using her eyes. Shailene is my second favorite, she is proving to be one of the best of her generation.

Reactions: Tivo
So I started watching again from the beginning, (Yes I am officially obsessed, lol) and I'm catching so many little things I missed the first time around. Things that glue the episodes together.
That public accusing of Ziggy was just awful! Like a stoning. And really set the stage for the witch hunt to come. That teacher who initiated the scene was horrible.
Just as fascinating...all the phony pleasantries and mommy politics. So much better on the rewatch.
Also the talking heads interjected between scenes remind you of the coming murder...but it isn't center stage...just hints of what is to come. And having seen the later episodes it makes the coming climax seem that much more interesting and ominous.

The most unsettling thing in this show is the physical abuse Celeste is subjected to, I can't imagine how she can function while being kicked and punched and slapped and God knows what else every time Perry feels upset and he gets pissed uncontrollably and constantly. I think she's ashamed and embarrassed for being treated this way more than being hurt and this is why this horror continues, I would be scared for my life if I was her. She was all dressed up and excited to step out in her beautiful pink dress and...I have no words. I hope Perry is the one who dies in the end, I hate him.

Reactions: skyqueen
I think this show does a fantastic job of building tension each week and peeling away the perfect picture...revealing the ugliness beneath. And I feel by the time we get to the murder we'll understand how things got out of control.
The scenes where the locals are being interviewed by the police just show how much back biting there is in any community, (tPF included) and when given the chance, people will vent out their opinions of you with no problem at all. I think if Madeline was listening in, she would not be shocked to hear what people think of her, but Celeste might be hurt despite the fact that she is an attorney with a presumed shell.

The most unsettling thing in this show is the physical abuse Celeste is subjected to, I can't imagine how she can function while being kicked and punched and slapped and God knows what else every time Perry feels upset and he gets pissed uncontrollably and constantly. I think she's ashamed and embarrassed for being treated this way more than being hurt and this is why this horror continues, I would be scared for my life if I was her. She was all dressed up and excited to step out in her beautiful pink dress and...I have no words. I hope Perry is the one who dies in the end, I hate him.
I agree. It is painful to watch any scene with Perry.
I think Celeste is ashamed also because of their passion that she thinks is magnified by his abuse. I think it is part of Perry's manipulation of her which makes it even more gross.
Alexander Skarsgard's character is horrible but he is a true example of some abusive husbands. Seemingly perfect on the outside with good looks, money, charm - and no one would ever suspect they are dangerous.
I do think that Celeste has given some hints to Maddie and the marriage counselor is aware of some sort of physicality which could help Celeste down the road if she leaves or whatever?

The scenes where the locals are being interviewed by the police just show how much back biting there is in any community, (tPF included) and when given the chance, people will vent out their opinions of you with no problem at all. I think if Madeline was listening in, she would not be shocked to hear what people think of her, but Celeste might be hurt despite the fact that she is an attorney with a presumed shell.
I agree. I learned the hard way at my last job. I have since vowed to keep my lips zipped.