Best place to buy LV in Paris?

I went to Champs Élysées and had wonderful service. I was worried there would be a line due to stories from others but I walked right in without a problem. Once in, I was greeted and directed to an SA who met me at the top of the escalators to find what I wanted.

It was my first time in Paris so I wanted my purchase to be from the flagship. I think for my next trip I won't mind where to go. Perhaps somewhere more local to my hotel would be more convenient.

Just be aware that even if you detax at Lafayette you still have to get the customs form stamped at the airport. I believe a lot of people don't realise this and they opt for it thinking they'll just cash. If your paper work isn't stamped and sent off then they will take the money back from your card. You always have to ensure your paperwork is sent off within a certain timeframe. Pardon me as I don't know what that is.

I simply got my form at LV with credit refund option. The money was back in my account about 2 weeks returning to Aus. Too easy.

I went to Champs Élysées and had wonderful service. I was worried there would be a line due to stories from others but I walked right in without a problem. Once in, I was greeted and directed to an SA who met me at the top of the escalators to find what I wanted.

It was my first time in Paris so I wanted my purchase to be from the flagship. I think for my next trip I won't mind where to go. Perhaps somewhere more local to my hotel would be more convenient.

Just be aware that even if you detax at Lafayette you still have to get the customs form stamped at the airport. I believe a lot of people don't realise this and they opt for it thinking they'll just cash. If your paper work isn't stamped and sent off then they will take the money back from your card. You always have to ensure your paperwork is sent off within a certain timeframe. Pardon me as I don't know what that is.

I simply got my form at LV with credit refund option. The money was back in my account about 2 weeks returning to Aus. Too easy.

In order for customs to stamp the form, it also means that the bag must be unused, correct?

In order for customs to stamp the form, it also means that the bag must be unused, correct?

I am actually not entirely sure, although I was under the impression that it can be used as it is a personal item being exported and you are claiming VAT because you're not EU citizen.

I claimed on some jewellery which I had worn while I was away but I had them in the boxes when I got to airport. My bags were out of the boxes (I couldn't fit them) but they were in dust bags. I also claimed a pair of shoes which I wore on the day.

They only picked out selected items to check and were totally fine with my shoes being on.

Champs. You could always buy it at the end of the trip, take a cab back to hotel after purchase. I drop off my vat refund at the airport, my flights are always very early in the am and no one is at the counter. I usually wear my bag back to the US as I don't want to declare taxes.

I would definitely recommend going to the LV mothership at Champs Élysées it's such a beautiful and big store with it being your first time in Paris you have to experience it. We went to Paris twice last year and went to that location. I usually go in the morning as soon as they open to avoid the long lines. Then I head to the second floor to buy my items because it gets very crowded on the ground floor. They have the same items on the second floor so don't worry.

Regarding the tax refund at Galeries Lafayette take note that the lines will be VERY long and it will accommodate ALL customers that shopped in that big department store. So try to imagine the crowds especially if there is a lot of tourist groups. Also if you do cash refund note that the % percentage will be lower than a credit card refund. I usually do the credit card refunds.

I've never used my LV bags when I travel around Europe. Especially being a tourist, they can tell if you are a tourist. There are lots of pickpockets and thieves in Paris so my DH and I like to keep a low profile. Whenever we shop at LV or other designer shop we always have a recyclable grocery shopping bag ( Whole Foods, target, etc,) with us and put our purchases in there that way we don't appear too flashy and become a target. Heard too many stories about people's shopping bags getting stolen including some of my friends. Better safe than sorry. If you have a crossbody bag I would recommend using one.

Enjoy your time in Paris you will fall in love with that beautiful city. And more importantly enjoy shopping at LV.
This is the store that's special to me having purchased my first ever LV in there!

I have to give another vote to the Champs store. Great service, plus it's so big, everything is at your hand's reach, my sister and I had so much fun shopping there.

I like the Lafayette store, but don't find it as convenient. It's on two floors, so you can enter it from the ground level, but also from the first floor. It's always super busy and since it's not so big, you really have to wait for an SA to show you a bag, give you some attention and let you see the items you're interested in. At the Champs store you can pick up any of the bags that are on display (especially upstairs, I remember trying out different Epi Alma's and Brea's, selfservice style) and since they have a guard at the door there are never too many clients inside, so you're not bumping into people, you can take your time and really enjoy the experience.

I carried my Speedy DE all around Paris, I don't think it was very noticed, because a lot of French women carry designer bags (I saw SO many Chanels), but it was a bit tiring, walking around all day with a handheld bag.

Oh yeah, if you go across the river, to the Notre Dame for example, there is another LV close by. It's a smaller shop, but cosy and nice :smile:

Enjoy your trip and have fun shopping :smile:

I travelled alone to Paris, and visited the flagship store at champ élysées. It was lovely. Carried the paper bags of goodies back to my hotel, on the metro. No issue, maybe because it was a weekday evening by the time I got on the metro.

I was slightly worried of being pickpocket, but it was very aware of my surrounding and made sure I never take out the map in public places. I memorized the route on the map before I leave the hotel. I wrote it down on a note book in case I forgot. At least I refer to a notebook not a map. So, it less touristy... I'm an Asian so, that would already make me look tourist, so less attention the better.

I totally enjoyed the trip and my shopping at lv!! They have so many SA who could speak many languages. I mainly needed one who could speak English because I don't know French.

I travelled alone to Paris, and visited the flagship store at champ élysées. It was lovely. Carried the paper bags of goodies back to my hotel, on the metro. No issue, maybe because it was a weekday evening by the time I got on the metro.

I was slightly worried of being pickpocket, but it was very aware of my surrounding and made sure I never take out the map in public places. I memorized the route on the map before I leave the hotel. I wrote it down on a note book in case I forgot. At least I refer to a notebook not a map. So, it less touristy... I'm an Asian so, that would already make me look tourist, so less attention the better.

I totally enjoyed the trip and my shopping at lv!! They have so many SA who could speak many languages. I mainly needed one who could speak English because I don't know French.

If you don't mind me asking, would you recommend that I use my LV as my primary bag when going around paris? Did you use your LV (or any designer bag) while going around?

OP,

We only traveled on metro when we were in Paris and it was quite safe. Even at night. LV offered to deliver my bag to my hotel but I was happy to carry it. Even then sightseeing all say and going back to my hotel with a giant LV bag, we were fine.

I have heard lots of stories of pick pockets but we did not encounter this. I believe it is about being aware and making it "difficult" for them. They don't want to harm people but they do look for easy targets. We watched a crowd on the Champs Élysées stop and watch a street performer and could see that this was going to be target for pick pockets. Even witnessed a man yell out to a young teen who freaked out and gave what he took back.

You just need to be confident and appear assertive. I did not use my LV only because I didn't want to be caught in bad weather, and I prefer to travel with a Longchamp tote as I don't have to worry as much. My husband wore his backpack on the front instead when walking through crowds and we just carried on as normal. Again just being extra aware if we were around any busy areas.

You will love Paris! It's so magical and there's truly nothing to worry about.

:smile:

I like the Bon Marche myself, but was recently charmed by a few sales assistants at the Champs-Elysees location.

I don't know why you would be afraid of carrying a shopping bag from a store unless you are taking the RER to some distant suburb. I see people walking around all the time with bags from Prada, Hermes, Celine etc. I think you would stand out even more if you were carrying a Target carrier bag.

Happy Shopping.

I like the Bon Marche myself, but was recently charmed by a few sales assistants at the Champs-Elysees location.

I don't know why you would be afraid of carrying a shopping bag from a store unless you are taking the RER to some distant suburb. I see people walking around all the time with bags from Prada, Hermes, Celine etc. I think you would stand out even more if you were carrying a Target carrier bag.

Happy Shopping.

I took my LV shopping bag on the train from the Champs Élysées store to my hotel and had no issue. It was a big bag so anyone could take a good guess what was inside. You should be just fine.

You should go to the flagship store which is in Champs Elysées. I've been there last week and it's just beautiful. Sometimes there will be line outside but the time I went there no line and it was not really crowded inside the store. Great experience! you will love it and of course it'll be super nice to buy something from there. I save around $500 for 2 items I got.

If you don't mind me asking, would you recommend that I use my LV as my primary bag when going around paris? Did you use your LV (or any designer bag) while going around?

I used to live in Paris and had no problem walking around or taking public transport with LV bags or shopping bags. I'm from London so just applied the common sense approach I use here when it comes to pickpockets.

Agree with the store recommendations by other posters. But if you're looking for a slightly quieter store I highly recommend the one in Saint Germain des Prés, which used to be my local LV. It's also handy for a bit of Left Bank tourism. Feel free to PM me if you'd like a SA recommendation.

Enjoy your trip!