Best leather conditioner/protectant on Chanel bags??

After wasting so much money trying out different brands leather conditioners, I found this French made Saphir Renovateur hydrates the best.
Plus the wax in this cream locks in the hydration, makes the shine long lasting without any wax buildups.

I had used Cadillac leather conditioner years ago; and it made my leather sticky. I wonder why so many people have good experiences with it. Maybe Cadillac has changed its formulation.

I wipe my preloved bags with Whole Foods 365 baby wipes, let dry, then apply the cream.

On my very dried CF, I applied a good layer of Saphir Renovateur, waited for about 20 minutes until it’s completely dry before buffering.

The time on waiting for drying is different depending the moisture level in your home.

The best is to touch the leather and feel if the conditioner is completely dry before buffering.

instruction on the Saphir Renovateur cream says wait three minutes.
From my experience, waiting longer to allow the mink oil penetrate into the leather will really make a difference.

I love this cream, I can reapply without any wax buildup; and the shine last for a long time. Highly recommend it.

Photo shows the after treatment of my dried CF.

DCEB49CB-044E-4723-B3FD-DA98E2A8A03A.jpeg

Thank you very much for replying! Great results, you red bag looks so shiny and hydrated!
I saw this note here https://bestmastertailor.com/produc...LR2r9D9O1Ewkc-DHCAac9zsHIQbnzMFxoCvusQAvD_BwE
There are so many tips online, watched few more youtube videos, some ladies recommend Cadillac lotion, others The Handbag Spa Pure Hydrate spray.
The backpack leather feels dry.
Do you think I should clean it with wipes before applying cream? Clean with alcohol-free wipes, let it dry, then apply Renovateur cream, wait few minutes and buff?

Don’t be alarmed when you see black color transferred onto your baby wipes or buffering cloth.

I’ve learned vintage Chanel used plant base dyes, color will come off when it gets wet.

Please contact me if you have any other questions.

After wasting so much money trying out different brands leather conditioners, I found this French made Saphir Renovateur hydrates the best.
Plus the wax in this cream locks in the hydration, makes the shine long lasting without any wax buildups.

I had used Cadillac leather conditioner years ago; and it made my leather sticky. I wonder why so many people have good experiences with it. Maybe Cadillac has changed its formulation.

I wipe my preloved bags with Whole Foods 365 baby wipes, let dry, then apply the cream.

On my very dried CF, I applied a good layer of Saphir Renovateur, waited for about 20 minutes until it’s completely dry before buffering.

The time on waiting for drying is different depending the moisture level in your home.

The best is to touch the leather and feel if the conditioner is completely dry before buffering.

instruction on the Saphir Renovateur cream says wait three minutes.
From my experience, waiting longer to allow the mink oil penetrate into the leather will really make a difference.

I love this cream, I can reapply without any wax buildup; and the shine last for a long time. Highly recommend it.

Photo shows the after treatment of my dried CF.

View attachment 4833449

thank you very much, it is really helpful information!

thank you very much, it is really helpful information!

you’re very welcome :heart:

l love talking about restoring vintage Chanel bags. I think these ‘old’ bags have the elegance and the quality that make them true timeless beauty.

Glad to see people take the time and love to bring a vintage Chanel back to her glory.

I can’t wait to see the result on your lovely backpack. Please post photos.

Reactions: wishiwasinLA
you’re very welcome :heart:

l love talking about restoring vintage Chanel bags. I think these ‘old’ bags have the elegance and the quality that make them true timeless beauty.

Glad to see people take the time and love to bring a vintage Chanel back to her glory.

I can’t wait to see the result on your lovely backpack. Please post photos.

Vintage Chanel bags are so special! Their quality is exceptional and the gold plated hardware is just amazing. I started preferring vintage bags because of their fantastic quality and uniqueness. It's hard to meet your twin with the same vintage beauty on the street.

Do you apply Renovateur directly on the bag or on cloth?

Vintage Chanel bags are so special! Their quality is exceptional and the gold plated hardware is just amazing. I started preferring vintage bags because of their fantastic quality and uniqueness. It's hard to meet your twin with the same vintage beauty on the street.

Do you apply Renovateur directly on the bag or on cloth?

I smudge a good layer of Renovateur quickly all over the leather. You can start with a thin layer, re-apply if the leather is still dry.

yes, vintage Chanel bags are so addicting, you can’t just stop at one.
eBay PayPal 24 Month 0% Interest financing has helped sucking me into this addiction too. OMG!

By the way, the hardwares are coated an alloy containing 24k gold. They don’t use such expensive alloy to coat the hardware anymore.

I avoid getting hand sanitizer residue (alcohol)onto it, and I don’t go near the ocean with my Chanel bags neither.
Haha, they’re my babies.

i had experience of salty ocean air tarnishing my 14k necklace. That was an easy fix with gold polishing. However, if my vintage Chanel hardware gets oxidation, I can’t polish it because polishing will take off the coating.

Please see below attached photos of a vintage Chanel care booklet and its descriptions.

617B1509-7BC8-4BF1-84EB-F27EAEA248EB.png

4FF2A210-23ED-45DB-B48C-133E544ED6CE.png

I smudge a good layer of Renovateur quickly all over the leather. You can start with a thin layer, re-apply if the leather is still dry.

yes, vintage Chanel bags are so addicting, you can’t just stop at one.
eBay PayPal 24 Month 0% Interest financing has helped sucking me into this addiction too. OMG!

By the way, the hardwares are coated an alloy containing 24k gold. They don’t use such expensive alloy to coat the hardware anymore.

I avoid getting hand sanitizer residue (alcohol)onto it, and I don’t go near the ocean with my Chanel bags neither.
Haha, they’re my babies.

i had experience of salty ocean air tarnishing my 14k necklace. That was an easy fix with gold polishing. However, if my vintage Chanel hardware gets oxidation, I can’t polish it because polishing will take off the coating.

Please see below attached photos of a vintage Chanel care booklet and its descriptions.

View attachment 4835333

View attachment 4835334

Very interesting notes, I'll keep them in mind, thank you very much!

Reactions: Mimi-2020
Hi pinkrose398,
Did you have any color rubbing off when using Saphir Renovateur? Or leaving the color of the bag looking blotchy?
I'm having a read of the lambskin care threads here and everyone seems to have a different recommendation/experience regarding products.
I just got a Vintage classic flap in a lovely caramel camel color. It's in great condition and it doesn't look that dry, but I just want to make sure I prolong its lifespan for as long as possible!
Any advice including how much product you applied would be really helpful! Thanks so much :smile:

I received my Saphir Renovateur today and tried it out on my vintage beige Diana. Prior to today, I had been applying the Cadillac Boot and Shoe cream. I probably applied around 10 layers of the Cadillac over a 2 week period.

I feel like it’s hard to tell the difference on the quilting. You can tell that the smooth inside of the top flap is significant more shiny, but the quilted areas look about the same. The biggest difference is the texture of the leather - it feels significant softer and more supple.
View attachment 4774408View attachment 4774409View attachment 4774411View attachment 4774412

Hi ladies,
Would you recommend using Saphir delicate creme or Saphir Renovateur for my vintage caramel/camel classic flap? It is in great condition and does not have the dried out vintage bag look, but I just want to make sure I want to maintain its excellent condition. I was having a look at the products on on Kirby Allison and it seems likes delicate creme is more for handbags and renovateur is for shoes? Seems like more ladies on here had great results with Renovateur? Any advice would be really appreciated!

Hi ladies,
Would you recommend using Saphir delicate creme or Saphir Renovateur for my vintage caramel/camel classic flap? It is in great condition and does not have the dried out vintage bag look, but I just want to make sure I want to maintain its excellent condition. I was having a look at the products on on Kirby Allison and it seems likes delicate creme is more for handbags and renovateur is for shoes? Seems like more ladies on here had great results with Renovateur? Any advice would be really appreciated!

I think either choice will do.
Please see our responses #434 (p29), #393 and #397 (p37). :smile:

Reactions: chachelchanel
Hi pinkrose398,
Did you have any color rubbing off when using Saphir Renovateur? Or leaving the color of the bag looking blotchy?
I'm having a read of the lambskin care threads here and everyone seems to have a different recommendation/experience regarding products.
I just got a Vintage classic flap in a lovely caramel camel color. It's in great condition and it doesn't look that dry, but I just want to make sure I prolong its lifespan for as long as possible!
Any advice including how much product you applied would be really helpful! Thanks so much :smile:
Nope I did not have any colour rubbing off, but my bag is beige (repainted) so I'm not sure if its the same thing for dark or unpainted lambskin. I did not notice my bag was blotchy after either, there was no difference in the colour.

I applied 2-3 coats of Renovateur over a few weeks and it has definitely restored the leather to being more soft and supple, and visibly less dry.

I applied a thin layer with clean fingers, waited the recommended amount of time, and then I rubbed it off with a cotton polishing cloth. I did each part of the bag in stages so the Renovateur wouldn't sit on the bag for longer than the recommended time. When you first polish it off, it'll be a little sticky but a few days later, the oil will have absorbed into the bag and it'll no longer be sticky but rather very soft.

Nope I did not have any colour rubbing off, but my bag is beige (repainted) so I'm not sure if its the same thing for dark or unpainted lambskin. I did not notice my bag was blotchy after either, there was no difference in the colour.

I applied 2-3 coats of Renovateur over a few weeks and it has definitely restored the leather to being more soft and supple, and visibly less dry.

I applied a thin layer with clean fingers, waited the recommended amount of time, and then I rubbed it off with a cotton polishing cloth. I did each part of the bag in stages so the Renovateur wouldn't sit on the bag for longer than the recommended time. When you first polish it off, it'll be a little sticky but a few days later, the oil will have absorbed into the bag and it'll no longer be sticky but rather very soft.
It’s so nice to hear from you again, dear PinkRose. :smile::heart:

Reactions: pinkrose398
I use the Saphir MDO lotion (it says it’s a lighter version of the Renovateur) on my Chanel Diana. I think the results are quite satisfying, but I may still want to try out the Renovateur version. I like how it shines after using the lotion, but I am not sure if it moisturizes the leather as well as the original version.

View attachment 4810616
Hello Dear, how you tried out the Renovateur version of Saphir yet? If so, could you tell us the difference between the previous MDO and Renovateur, please?

also, in your last posting, by MDO, did you mean ‘The Saphir Medaille D'Or’? Thank you.:smile:

Okay ladies SO I put on another coat of Saphir Vernis Rife patent leather cleaner in color black. I think the 1st time I tried this (weeks ago) I didn't leave the cleaner on for the suggested 3 minutes. I just kind of waited 1 min and buffed immediately. That said, this time I waited 3 mins and the bag does look shinnier and finger prints seem to happen less. BUT, it didn't remove ANY marks or scratches or weird patches!! It was worth it to me just to make it a little more shinny and the finger print issue but it didn't really restore much of anything which it said it would. Here are before and after pics and it's all about the angles. You can sometimes see the patches sometimes not. pictures are in order of the whole before during and after process ..
also ... I tired to pick the worst pictures so the bag overall from a distance looks better than what you're seeing here but this is the 1st Saphir product that didn't do what it said / disappointed ... and finally to answer an earlier question, it didn't seem to take off any patent finish or thin at all :smile: phew sorry my non professional typing always sucksssss

View attachment 4779740

View attachment 4779741

View attachment 4779742

View attachment 4779743

View attachment 4779744

View attachment 4779745

View attachment 4779746
Thank you again for your detailed feedback on Saphir Rife. Does the shine last? Does the black ink come off? Thank you.

I know it's old question, but I'm going to answer it since you have the products I love. For caviar, I use the Saphir Reno and for Lambskin I use Saphir Nappa. I think you can use Reno for Lambskin as well, but I'm just worried that Reno will leave a slight waxy feeling. HTH!
Hey lovely! I recently bought the nappa cream as well and tried it on both my 14yr old white caviar bag and 3yr old black lambskin bag. The cream made both leather too matte looking. Do you have the same problem? I did try to buff it out with a soft cloth afterwards and didn’t see an improvement on the sheen of the leather :confused1:

Reactions: mycorreia