Best "do it yourself" hair dye?

Thank you all for the tips and great advice. The "brass free" sounds quite interesting; I definitely have a horror of having brassy hair. I just want to go back to my natural dark brown, no lighter than my natural color. Would highlights take on an orange tone if I am trying to dye them brown? Maybe I'll try a little strand test of the Natural Instincts brass free and if I don't like that, I'll have my colorist dye it for me. Why does hair always have to be so complicated?!

I agree with the suggestion to have it done the first time. I just asked my stylist to match my roots with a single process color so I could let it grow out and not have to highlight anymore. It turned out perfect and I haven't had it done since then (a few years)...

But if you're worried about brassiness don't pick anything with "warm" or "golden" in the name. Look for a "cool" or "ash" shade. They do have a violet undertone, but it won't make your hair purple. All the purple does is counteract brassiness.

claireZ is def right, but if you get orange-y, i wouldn't chance it with just any off the shelf product, even if it is labeled "ash", it still turns me reddish. the brass free is the only thing that has worked for me.

if you're nervous, your best bet will be to go to a reputable salon that specializes in color.

I just did mine yesterday. I would suggest ther Loreal or the Garnier products. I used the Feria, French Roast color #45 (wanted to go back darker and healthier). I love it. I used a couple of their products before and would recommend.

I had a terrible time with the blonds from Feria- looked very unnatural and orangy at the roots (i am dark blond naturally and go lighter). Preference (though a little hard on the hair), Natural Instincts, Garnier and the loreal red box with the 2 in 1 highlighting kit work well for me.

Don't use henna! Once it is used, the hair needs to grow out before any chemical processing can be done. I can't imagine what it would turn out like on previously treated hair. Very orange I suspect.

I've never done this myself, and have about 2 inches left of highlighting. My natural color is a medium to dark chestnut brown. My highlights are slightly red. I want to cover some grey that is starting to appear throughout my hair and at the temples. So, here is my question(s)...
I bought the Natural Instincts semi-permanent color in #24 Clove - a medium ash brown. This is considered a "cool" shade. Am I at risk for turning these 2 inches of highlighting orange? I tried to get the shade that is "cool." This was before I read about the Brass Free formulas. I was planning to dye it tomorrow and am now wondering if I should chuck it and look for the Brass Free? I did a strand test this morning and it looked fine.

TIA

I'd go with Wella if you want to dye over highlights. The colour lasts longer when you use Wella, IMO. But it is a little harsh, you can tell right away from the toxic smell!

I used at-home hair dye for the first time last week. I had been going to the salon for the past 5 years, every 8-10 weeks, and paying obnoxious sums of money to have my hair highlighted, colored, and lowlighted. I wanted to get back to my original color--medium/dark brown. I didn't see the point in paying a fortune for a single-process job, so I tried Feria haircolor in "Havana Brown." It was super simple to do at home. And for $10, I have my ideal color! It's the perfect brown: rich, shiny, and luminous!

Don't mess with at home color now---you will be sorry. It will take more money to try to fix damaged hair then get it colored right the first time. With highlights your hair will not be able to grab the color. Usually one would need a filler first. There is also a major risk of having orange cat stripes in your hair. Going from light to dark is not as easy as buying a box of dye and praying it will work out.
Speak to a professional who knows what they are doing.

I would suggest doing a demi permanent color because it looks better when it starts to grow out and you can always die it again if you want to. It washes out so if you don't like the color, you don't have to live with it for long. Good luck finding something!:smile: