Best crossbody bag for travel

Oh I love Bal bags & the Town is beautiful!

But a huge benefit to the Speedy B is that you can also take off the strap & wear it as a "normal" Speedy if you want the option to wear it differently

DE is great for stain-free, all-weather use and it's relatively lightweight. I agree that if you're going to a place where you might encounter pickpockets and/or robbers if would be better to carry something more discreet. Some people bring foldable totes to toss their fancier bags in when they go to such places but you'll probably won't have the space to carry one of those in a 25.

I mostly travel in the US so I should be fine (hopefully :cool:).

Oh I love Bal bags & the Town is beautiful!

But a huge benefit to the Speedy B is that you can also take off the strap & wear it as a "normal" Speedy if you want the option to wear it differently

Unfortunately Town is way too pricey now. I'd rather get a City for the price. I placed an order for a Town at NM in early May, thinking I could beat the price increase. I thought it went through, but the next day I received an email saying that the item was no longer available. It was still available, just at a higher price! IMO NM should honor the price because it was what was shown on their Website at the time. Oh well....

Agreed about nylon bags for travel: I use a fairly lightweight turquoise Tumi cross-body bag with a slim profile. I've had it for 10 years, used it on every domestic and international trip and also around town at home, and it looks as good as new. It's indestructible, rain-proof, easy to clean, with good organization. I'm not as fond of the current Tumi bags...but think any well-made nylon bag is your best investment for travel.

I love the Tumi for travel, too! how do you clean yours?

Last edited:
Hi, for international travel I'm contemplating getting this Longchamp Le Pliage Crossbody. Does anyone have any experience with this bag? I prefer to travel under the radar when outside of the US. This bag also comes in black with brown trim at Nordstrom, which looks appealing, and seems large enough. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 708
I usually get cheaper bags for travel. Like my leather Coach bag. It's roomy, not too heavy and its mahogany so goes with my clothes. I won't carry bags that are too noticeable like LV. I almost got pick pocketed in London because I was carrying my LV Montorgueil.

I cant wait till i use my bloomsbury pm to travel:smile: it is low key- ppl dont notice it it seems, lightweight, close to body and easy to get in but has a zip and can carry lots inc passports

Just an update: I purchased a Speedy 25B DE and have already taken her on two trips (including a trip to Universal Studios!). She is a perfect-sized bag and can look both dressy and casual. But I agree that it will be wise not to take her to Europe or Asia where pickpocketing is more common. Will definitely keep that in mind! :smile:

I love the Tumi for travel, too! how do you clean yours?
Sorry I've been absent for ages. Honestly, the Tumi doesn't seem to pick up much dirt. I've spot washed it with soap and water. After finding what looked like grease on it recently, I took a chance and threw it in the washing machine, leather strap and all. Came out looking great.

I have taken my Proenza Schouler PS1 medium on several trips and it, for me, is the perfect, messenger style bag. I really love that I can keep things organized (not losing tickets, passport, other items) while carrying it messenger. It fits my Kindle, a scarf, long wallet and a few other things. I purchased a couple of buckle extenders (buckle guy.com) and was able to match the hardware--can't event tell. Now it sits perfectly on me for a messenger.