Be Nice To Someone Carrying A Fake...

you know, i would lvoe to be notified if i was wearing a purse, but infortunately theres no nice way for you to just find out, you have to do all the asking and searching yourself... Even tho i would like to know, being informed by a stranger is,... horrible and just painful..

One of my coworkers approached ME and said "I bought a new coach bag today, you wanna see it?'' Then she whipped out a little multicolored monstrosity and waited for my response. "You know it's not authentic don't you?" I said. "What makes you think it's fake she wanted to know. I had her look carefully at the "leather" trim but she saw nothing wrong with it, I had her feel how
light weight the hardware was but she still wasn't convinced so I had her read the big patch that was stuck to the back of the bag (didn't mention that it was not stiched neatly but glued) and the words were misspelled and the punctuation was non existant. She then realized that an authentic bag would probably have legible wording. I asked where she purchased it and she bought it from a "beauty supply store." I wasn't rude or condescending and this poor girl had no clue about leather, workmanship, materials etc. Had she just been carrying the bag and not personally shown it to me...I would have never mentioned the fake factor.
I don't know what's sadder, someone who has never seen a well made quality piece or someone passing off fake goods as authentic. Geez!

and some people just don't know.
I know for sure, some people really believe, that because the person in the little booth says they're real, that they really are buying a new LV for $80.
Most people have NO idea of the icky counterfeit other world we all know about.

They may, not having shopped in an LV boutique for example and since they aer not sold elsewhere, have NO idea how much they cost. I don;t know if someone with half a brain would believe a real LV is sold in a lil booth unless they convince themself they must be stolen or something LOL but if they are lied to off craigs list or ebay and have no base for comparison or friend in the know how can they know if they do not go try to authenticate?
I know as many other designers as i appreciated in the past i used to not like LV (mono...the others i probably saw i did not know were LV) so why would i investigate? Everone knows they are pricey but once i got into them i was truly surprised at how much more than say coach they cost. For me most of them are in the cost prohibitive zone.
So i do feel for those who don;t know they have a fake.

They may, not having shopped in an LV boutique for example and since they aer not sold elsewhere, have NO idea how much they cost. I don;t know if someone with half a brain would believe a real LV is sold in a lil booth unless they convince themself they must be stolen or something LOL but if they are lied to off craigs list or ebay and have no base for comparison or friend in the know how can they know if they do not go try to authenticate?
I know as many other designers as i appreciated in the past i used to not like LV (mono...the others i probably saw i did not know were LV) so why would i investigate? Everone knows they are pricey but once i got into them i was truly surprised at how much more than say coach they cost. For me most of them are in the cost prohibitive zone.
So i do feel for those who don;t know they have a fake.

Oh i forgot to say...to some $80 as quoted here is a TON to spend on a bag. SAdly i have no friends irl who appreciate my bag fettish and have been told by 2 acqaintences if they have to spend over $10 or certainly 15 they get upset. To them that probably would seem like a designer price if they shop target more and don;t frequent dept. stores much even. I really can't fault them...some have a lot iof nicer lawn furnishings or etc than i so i say to each her own.
Plus trying to convert has not worked well here LOL
I will say i told my one friend who LO Lat a few of my more recent purchases for what they cost but then made a stop on a mall trip with me to look at and end up buying a new thing to keep beer cold on tap in for $700 (i don;t drink daily like them so for me it is not a priority) after that i told her not to laugh at my bags ever again. LOL

I had an experience the other day with a really nice acquaintance who showed me her Coach fake that she picked up in NY. Her own disappointment showed as she showed me her purse. She knew it wasn't leather and that the finishing was bad. Having a fake was her own greatest disappointment as she eyed my very real, gorgeous Hogan hobo... I realized then, that if she could, if she had the $$, if she realized that it would be better to save up the $$... she would be buying the real thing. She was already disappointed enough. I didn't have to heap anything on top of that with any critical words. I understood that she was on her way to getting real with her handbags, but for her, it was out of financial necessity and also, she is young and thought a fake would bring her happiness. She is in the process of growing into her ability to buy real handbags.

i never really make a big deal of people carrying fakes. it's their own choice whether they bought it purposefully or not. some people are having different luck in financial or different priorities in their life.

I would never actually be rude to someone if they were carrying a fake. I may not like it or agree with it, but I am quite disgusted by people who are flat out rude to complete strangers.

ITA:yes: ... people who do this are at the same level as those ones who see authentic bags and say that they're fakes!:tdown: Either way, it's rude ... as the saying goes, "If you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all!"