Bare Legs in Corporate Environment: Yes or No?

sep

Live-Luv-Shop-Repeat
Nov 19, 2007
What are your feelings about bare legs in a corportate environment? Is it acceptable if you have a skirt/dress that falls below the knee or is it best to always wear hosiery?

I think it depends on the industry and the part of the country. In the midwest it is universal that women wear hose in the financial industries, at least. In other corporate environments, it is best to check the dress code. Many of them still state that no bare legs are allowed.

Yes, it is a horrible fashion faux-pas, but there are still some corprate bastions of conservatism where it is required.

I think it depends on what type of industry you work in, just my opinion. I'm 23 and I've only worked in relatively business casual environments where everyone tends to be laxed, especially the technology industry where everyone wear jeans. :lol: No ones wears hosiery.

I work in the financial industry. It's specifically written in our dress code that we must wear hose. Of course we also aren't allowed capris or peep toed shoes and have a skirt length requirement, so it's a bit strict.

I believe it applies to the industry, the corporate environment and your position. I worked in the financial industry and it was not "written" corporate policy but everyone wore hosiery. I wanted to succeed and demonstrate that I fit the corporation so I wore hose. If your co. requires hose I think it is out of line to make a stink. If bare legs are okay use good judgment -- close toe shoes, skirt length and material.

Sometimes I go without hose if I want to wear a peep toe pump, but usually I'll wear stockings with a skirt and close toed shoes. I think it looks more professional and it adds some warmth in the winter. I'm not a fan of nylons, especially with the control top. I get too annoyed with them cutting into my stomach. I prefer thigh highs.

Use your judgment. Strictly speaking in a conservative business environment one should not be bear legged. When I was in my early twenties I wore pantyhose in these situations, now that I am older and more established in the company, I allow myself to go without hose. I go bare as soon as possible, maybe even a bit too early ;). My legs are tanned so it looks Ok.

Everything else in my wardrobe is very conservative. Ok, I occasionally have fun with shoes but only when there are no client meetings and there is a pair of pumps in my desk, just in case.

I think it depends on what type of industry you work in, just my opinion. I'm 23 and I've only worked in relatively business casual environments where everyone tends to be laxed, especially the technology industry where everyone wear jeans. :lol: No ones wears hosiery.

I'm from around SF too, yep, that's right, no hosiery around here really.

I would never wear a suit without pantyhose (nude, not black). The exception would be a linen, cotton, or seersucker suit in the summer, since those are more casual fabrics. If I am wearing a skirt and blouse I usually do not wear pantyhose. I always wear a dark suit, pantyhose, and pumps for court and important meetings.