Bags and rain - How do you handle it?

lowkeyd

Aug 30, 2016
Living in Florida, we get sporadic rain showers and one got me the other week. I got a couple water stains on a new bag from my mom. Lesson learned though. After that I started bringing a plastic bag and towel with me. One in my car and another in my office.

I saw someone carrying a Baggu with them in their bag. Has anyone bought one of these? If so, what are you thoughts?
How do you guys handle the rain?

My leather bags and shoes have been wet from rains, but I leave them to dry completely and there has been no water stains so far, except for my vegetable-tanned cardholder! Perhaps the bag from your mum is also vege-tan. I don't use waterproof bags to protect my leather goods but I would recommend using a waterproofing spray to protect them.

Rain and bags freak me out. I try to use a patent leather bag or a coated canvas if I know it will rain. I have been know to hide my bag in my coat to not get it wet. Miraculously, some of my leather bags hold up great in the rain, like my Givenchy Pandoras in lambskin and my calf Mansur Gavriels. I don't really trust waterproofing spray, although it might work really well.

I haven't really taken out any of my suede bags for this reason. Leather, nylon and coated canvas in rain I can deal with. I just wipe them dry and let them air dry (nylon ones). I figured it's time for me to start using them or else they're just sitting there wasting away so we'll see. I'll probably carry a plastic bag in my suede handbag!

I look at the weather every day to help figure out which bag to bring. If it's raining, I carry one of my cheap bags from Target or Charming Charlie, or my old beat-up Michael Kors hobo.

Reactions: Est322
Have anyone tried waterproof spray on a handbag? Does it do the job without any side effects?
I was thinning of using some on my LV bag but haven't taken the step yet as I'm a bit too worried.

Sent from my SM-G928I using PurseForum mobile app

Have anyone tried waterproof spray on a handbag? Does it do the job without any side effects?
I was thinning of using some on my LV bag but haven't taken the step yet as I'm a bit too worried.

I've had success with treating my leather and even suede goods with a rain and stain guard from Laston. They're a new company and their products are formulated for delicate leathers. You can read about the product on their website and their products are also available through Amazon if you're a prime addict like myself. https://www.lastoncare.com/collections/laston-handbag-care/products/laston-rain-repellent

Last edited:
Reactions: c0rinne
I've had success with treating my leather and even suede goods with a rain and stain guard from Laston. They're a new company and their products are formulated for delicate leathers. You can read about the product on their website and their products are also available through Amazon if your a prime addict like myself. https://www.lastoncare.com/collections/laston-handbag-care/products/laston-rain-repellent
Thank you for the info. I'll check it out and try to get some. One of my bags got some rain drops on it's tab and since then I don't use it when there's a slight chance of rain.

I try to carry my canvas bags (Goyard, LV) or coated leather (Prada Saffiano) in bad weather. If I happen to carry leather I'll just walk with an umbrella, don't really mind some raindrops. The only leather I really worry about is Hermes Box, that one I'd put in a huge plastic bag if I was caught in the rain.

i use patent or nylon bags for heavy, or expected rain. if i absolutely have to use a luxury bag in the rain i hide it under a coat, or place it inside of another type of bag to protect it until i reach my destination