Workplace Background Checks and Employment Verifications

talexs

I Love It!!!!!
Jun 29, 2008
Last week I was offered a great job opportunity, the offer is based on my passing a background check. I was honest on my resume and provided references (they were checked prior to the offer) from 3 of my last 4 employers, one of my references is my current supervisor. I submitted all of the requested info and authorization for the background check and was told it could take up to 10 business days, but I would be updated as soon as the check cleared. I received a call today from HR, she said to speed up the process she had a few questions. The questions were regarding a better contact for a job I held between 2013-2015 (the HR rep at my old company had still not returned a call for an employment verification) and if I had a contact for a job I held at a company that is no longer in business. I provided additional info for the first question and also offered to supply W2s (I was told at this point not necessary) and in response to the second question told the HR rep that since the company closed I lost touch with former colleagues, with the exception of the woman who I used as a reference. The HR rep then said "oh yes she did confirm title and dates of employment" so I think that is good to go. I guess my question is to anyone who has been in this situation or who works in HR, does having to go the extra mile to verify information put me in a hole? I've been honest from the start, have nothing to hide and am happy to provide HR any additional information they require. Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions!

Not to worry. The reference checks and background checks are different, with the reference checks being a phone call to your references to inquire about dates of employment and if they would hire you again (way to question whether or not someone was terminated for cause), and the background checks being run by a third party vendor to check for things like criminal convictions, DUIs, bankruptcies. Employment typically shows up on background checks and usually it's fine unless there's a huge discrepancy between what you've provided to the employer and what the report shows.

Sounds like the HR person needed to complete your reference checks. Since the first person wasn't returning her calls she needed another person, which is pretty common. As for your former employer that's no longer in business, and if you don't keep in touch with anyone, the HR person will just move on. It's nothing negative against you.

Good luck with the job!

Reactions: leechiyong