Avoiding Pushy SAs/Walking straight past them to work with someone else: Do you feel

I've never had an experience like that at a department store yet, but we only have a Nordstrom where I live and I've never had a bad experience with them.

However, I was at a local RC Willey's a few years ago (furniture store) with my dad buying some speakers for his new desktop. This persistent SA kept bugging us, I told him a bunch of times that I didn't need his help. Every time I pick up something, he'll come running over telling me about all the specs of it. It got to the point where I told him I know how to read. I finally decided on some Bose speakers, picked those up, and he came over and gave me a post-it of his employee number. He said to give this to the check out person, "and make sure to tell them I helped you." I held on to his associate number, so I can complain at the cash register about how rude he was, and then I called and spoke to his manager. I've never been so upset at an SA before.

My local Nordstrom really has this issue. The handbag SAs are always too pushy (or won't talk to you at all). Last time I went in I was searching for a specific bag and scoping out what might be on sale. The SA followed me around, trying to get me to buy things full price that I KNEW would be on sale soon. Any time I said something she would say "Oh no, those never go on sale" (surprise, surprise when everything did go on sale a few weeks later). She also got mad at me for shopping online (hello, there are only two Nordstroms in the STATE and you send everything out of state during the sales period because no one here gets designer bags). Whenever I asked her about the specific bag she totally ignored me and never even tried to look it up. And at one point she had the nerve to try to put a bag I wasn't even interested in ON me, she grabbed my arm and everything! Needless to say I wont be buying a thing from her.

On the other hand there are always lovely make-up SAs at that Nordstrom. I just don't see why they can't get good handbags SAs.

I don't know why people just don't say, "Stop bothering me, when I'm interested in something I'll buy it."
I can't stand pushy SA's and after I've politely told them this-I just finally say that I won't be purchasing anything from them...I'll find another associate who is respectful of my personal space and wishes. Maybe next time they won't be so pushy with the next client.

I don't know why people just don't say, "Stop bothering me, when I'm interested in something I'll buy it."
I can't stand pushy SA's and after I've politely told them this-I just finally say that I won't be purchasing anything from them...I'll find another associate who is respectful of my personal space and wishes. Maybe next time they won't be so pushy with the next client.

I have done that. I typically say something like, "Thank you, but I would prefer to browse on my own for a while. If I need anything, I will let you know." If they don't get the message, they won't be selling me anything either.

I have told this to some SAs; some listen, some don't. I think for some SAs this is their "style" and they aren't about to change it. :shrugs:

Sometimes though, they then act like you aren't going to buy and stupidly tell all the other SAs you're just a looky-loo. Lol.

My local Nordstrom really has this issue. The handbag SAs are always too pushy (or won't talk to you at all). Last time I went in I was searching for a specific bag and scoping out what might be on sale. The SA followed me around, trying to get me to buy things full price that I KNEW would be on sale soon. Any time I said something she would say "Oh no, those never go on sale" (surprise, surprise when everything did go on sale a few weeks later). She also got mad at me for shopping online (hello, there are only two Nordstroms in the STATE and you send everything out of state during the sales period because no one here gets designer bags). Whenever I asked her about the specific bag she totally ignored me and never even tried to look it up. And at one point she had the nerve to try to put a bag I wasn't even interested in ON me, she grabbed my arm and everything! Needless to say I wont be buying a thing from her.

On the other hand there are always lovely make-up SAs at that Nordstrom. I just don't see why they can't get good handbags SAs.

This happened to me at a Dallas Nordstrom! I told the woman repeatedly that I would just order a bag I saw online but on my own time. She had my card to look up a sale so she could mail out a repair. While I wasn't looking, she rang up the handbag that I knew was going on sale later (an associate told me that store brand items were going to be on clearance next week) and gave me the mail order receipt. WTF? I told her that I wanted to wait and she said that it wasn't a "problem" and if I didn't like it to bring it back to her and she'd sell me something else.

I immediately walked out and tried to cancel the order but within that 5 minute window, Nordstrom warehouse had received the order and "shipped" it so I wasn't able to cancel it. WTF? SO incredibly angry and pissed.

This happened to me at a Dallas Nordstrom! I told the woman repeatedly that I would just order a bag I saw online but on my own time. She had my card to look up a sale so she could mail out a repair. While I wasn't looking, she rang up the handbag that I knew was going on sale later (an associate told me that store brand items were going to be on clearance next week) and gave me the mail order receipt. WTF? I told her that I wanted to wait and she said that it wasn't a "problem" and if I didn't like it to bring it back to her and she'd sell me something else.

I immediately walked out and tried to cancel the order but within that 5 minute window, Nordstrom warehouse had received the order and "shipped" it so I wasn't able to cancel it. WTF? SO incredibly angry and pissed.

I would definitely go right to management. There is no way her using your card without your authorization is legal. Make sure the return undermines her sales too, she shouldn't get credit for what she did.

I would definitely go right to management. There is no way her using your card without your authorization is legal. Make sure the return undermines her sales too, she shouldn't get credit for what she did.

I simply did a receipt survey and expressed my disapproval with it. i typed out how pushy and unnecessary it was. I most definitely returned it but at a different Nordstrom. I ended up repurchasing it from my friend :lol:.

Oh heck no! I would've called a manager right then and there. You didn't authorize her to charge the card for the bag.

It may not have been a problem for her since she was getting away with a forced sale. I would've made a fuss, because them charging you just because your info is available to them is not good. I would returned everything she forced charged to that store too, let them deal with the mess they created.

Seriously, would've been quite peeved. Lol. Who does that?