Average #days/weeks you spent e-ring shopping?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
Just wondering - do jewelry sales people in all jewelry stores plus designer ones as tiffany , cartier, etc- really expect a person proposing or a couple that is ring shopping to buy ring on the spot? Do sales people get annoyed when they don't make sale quickly? I'm guessing most people shop around when making such a huge purchase. I ask cause I am seriously contemplating a yellow diamond ring and I feel like people are treating me not seriously. Boy, will they be surprised when I actually do make the purchase! But my mind changes daily in size and color so I really want to be absolutely positive. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but I guess a lot of people " look" and it is hard to distinguish serious buyers verse non serious.

Just wondering - do jewelry sales people in all jewelry stores plus designer ones as tiffany , cartier, etc- really expect a person proposing or a couple that is ring shopping to buy ring on the spot? Do sales people get annoyed when they don't make sale quickly? I'm guessing most people shop around when making such a huge purchase. I ask cause I am seriously contemplating a yellow diamond ring and I feel like people are treating me not seriously. Boy, will they be surprised when I actually do make the purchase! But my mind changes daily in size and color so I really want to be absolutely positive. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but I guess a lot of people " look" and it is hard to distinguish serious buyers verse non serious.

Jewelry sales people are in the business of selling jewelry. They will sell it to you by any means necessary (some). This is there job. When we were searching for my engagement ring, it took months. I went to every reputable jewelry story I could in my city until I found exactly what I wanted. Don’t let anyone deter you or force you into anything. You choose when you are absolutely sure it is the one and trust me, you’ll know! ;)

Jewelry sales people are in the business of selling jewelry. They will sell it to you by any means necessary (some). This is there job. When we were searching for my engagement ring, it took months. I went to every reputable jewelry story I could in my city until I found exactly what I wanted. Don’t let anyone deter you or force you into anything. You choose when you are absolutely sure it is the one and trust me, you’ll know! ;)

I agree 100%. For me, I knew what I wanted from the start, but it didn't prevent me from making absolutely sure and making sure my SO was happy with the purchase. While I think customer service ought to be top notch regardless, if not already, you may wish to go during the week as you'll be better able to to receive their undivided attention. There's less of a "if they need help, they'll flag me down" mentality.

^^^^Absolutely!! :tup:

You have to know what you want from the start and be vigilant in getting what you want and not settling or letting some SA talk you into something you are not really sure about but felt pressured to get. Some will be quick to tell you what you can and cannot have or if something is impossible. You can't take what someone says at face value. Be assertive and if they are seemingly acting as if they can't be bothered or are trying to hurry you along for a sale, GET OUTTA THERE FAST!!! :P The SA should not only be concerned with a sale but just as well with a happy, satisfied customer. One sale is nothing if they don't get referrals, return customers and good word of mouth!! After all, it's your wallet and my "then" fiance, now husband and I had to have something that was 'mind clean' above all. Good luck and stand firm!! ;)

If you go to the same store and work with the same person, that person should know by now that you're serious. If you're going to the store and working with different people, they are also likely discussing you amongst themselves and should also know that you're serious. However, if you're going into different locations, it will be a bit hit and miss - some SAs might not think that you're serious, or that you're serious but not likely to buy that same day.

As a SA at a jewellery store, I can tell you that engagement ring shopping is usually a multiple appointment thing and I've never sold an engagement ring to someone who had just walked in and knew exactly what they wanted and found it right away (and I've sold a lot of engagement rings at this point lol). Sometimes customers will come back to the store when I won't be there, but my colleagues always tell me when a customer of mine has come to the store, even if they didn't purchase at that time. SAs remember their customers, and our colleagues know our customers as well - you're more than likely on their radar as a serious customer.

I was in a mall jewelry store once during my diamond shopping day. I was looking for a simple solitair diamond that is on my budget, I wasn't looking for an expensive one. I just wanted to see what theyve got and just move to another jewelry store. The Sa was really insistent that I should buy their ring even offering me their credit card to avail their one year to pay scheme. I told them im not into credit card. If I want a diamond ring I would pay in cash. They even ask me whats really stopping me from purchasing. They kept on showing me those diamonds with visible inclusions and insist that its beautiful and perfect for me. I wouldnt spend 2 thousand dollars for a bad stone. They thought I didnt know anything. I even asked if one of their blue diamond is enhanced in anyway and they were saying its not fake at all. I kindly told her if A diamond is enhanced it doesnt mean its fake. It could be a real diamond but had an enhancement to make the color better or something. She was saying enhancement and fake are the same. I even showed her the tag that says enhanced blue diamond. They dont know what theyre saying. Their misinforming customers and only care about selling. When you go diamond shopping do your research first. Study your desired specs. Whatever your Sa tells you, still study the diamond. Bring a loup if you have or request to use theirs. Compare their price with those online of equal specs. You can ask them the diamond specs and if they have a certificate. Take your time. You dont want to choose the wrong ring and regret later. I had to see lots of jewelry store before I bought mine. I got mine from a kijiji ad and it was the best diamond among all the diamond Ive seen in all the jewelry stores I went to. The moment I saw it I fell in love. It was a great deal for me. I think it was a sign that my DH kept on mentioning the ad while I was checking out the diamond rings from the stores. He says " why not meet the seller first before you agree on that? " i had my doubts because it was kijiji and I didnt like the photo much. It looks like it had inclusions. Then i realize that all the rings they offered was just 14 k even the expensive ones while the kijiji seller offers 18 k with platinum prongs for a fraction of the mall price thus I agreed with my DH. I met the seller and the instant i saw the ring I like how it look nevermind that it would need some replating. It was way better than the photo they showed me. It was eyeclean!I had it verified from the store, checkit with my loup compared the engraved serial number with the certificate and voila! My new to me diamond ring! Believe me, it pays to be patient.

I usually trust a seller who is honest with you even if you wont buy anything if she tells you those things. One even talked me into not buying a tanzanite and another one told me that I shouldnt just consider vs2 but maybe an SI because its not as expensive as the former but could be as eye clean as the other one. He was really lecturing me on the 4 cs of diamond and that was the time I was telling my husband to get their preowned tiffany ring. Rather than helping me convince my husband to buy the ring, he was advising me that I should not just consider the clarity as my basis of purchasing the ring. Believe me, you will notice when an SA is only after a sale.

I'm disappointed that my SA is not following up with me or returning calls. When I'm ready to purchase in the next month or so, hopefully he will be more helpful. Otherwise I will go to the manager!

I'm disappointed that my SA is not following up with me or returning calls. When I'm ready to purchase in the next month or so, hopefully he will be more helpful. Otherwise I will go to the manager!

that is definitely disappointing! has he been your SA for a while? can you find someone new? maybe mention it to him that it's frustrating that he isn't returning your calls or following up with you. it might force him to get his act together.

I did all the footwork for a friend a couple of months ago and it took use a couple of weeks to pick the setting, then the stone, and pay/finalize the details. If you are will to go non name bread check out Leibish they have an amazing selection of fancy colored diamonds and then you could maybe do a custom ring with Victor Canera or Leon Mege(be warned some people find his attitude to be trying) also Single Stone is a fantastic option if you like more vintage styles.

Last edited:
My husband went into Tiffanys and basically decided on a 1.7 ct centre legacy on the spot. And his SA was surprised he decided so fast because he'll go in several times to pick a necklace. haha.
I guess when you know what you want, then you know. but it shouldnt be forced.

I work in a jewelry store and while most people don't buy on their first visit, some do. We get a lot of couples shopping together and sometimes she falls in love with a ring on first sight!