Autumn 2014 collections---gulp...the prices!

G.Allyn

O.G.
Dec 12, 2013
Under the Pre-Fall 2014 collections thread, Rstar was kind enough to post the link to LyraMag July 16, 2014, Part One for Dooney and Bourke sneak peak for the Carley, Lockwood, Tivoli and Sellaio Collections.

Loving the structured simplicity of the Sellaio line, but did you get a load of the prices? One bag, is $750.00. I know some of the D&B collectors do collect some other designer handbags at higher price ranges, but when I first started collecting back in @2002, the AWL bags were in the $250.00=$260.00 range on QVC.

I realize all of us have our own price point where each of us feels comfortable. For me, I don't like to spend more than $400.00. At least that is my feelings for right now.

Dooney must have done some market research which made them decide to move to higher prices. I wonder if they want to attract new buyers with these bags and feel they still have something to offer their current customers who place their purchasing ceiling much lower than $750.00.

If you looked at the LyraMag info, did you notice the Carley Collection oversize hauler? Not sure if this is leather or fabric, but wonder the cost of this large bag.

Does anyone know the date LyraMag will have Part 2? I for one, am very curious if the next bags shown, will be in this higher price range or if they will do some less expensive lines.

I don't think I'll be much help to you questions, however I can say my ceiling is lower than yours. Though I love some of the bags in the Alto collection, it's just to pricey for me. Ever since I discovered all of these great outlet deals, I'm just not willing to pay much over $250 and I have to really love the bag or have easy pay for that. Also, since I've learned that most of the time the bags I love go on clearance eventually, I make myself wait. I got burned on my calf shopper and paid double right before it went on clearance at $89. I'm hoping the current classics will stay at their more reasonable price points.

I'm just not willing to pay much over $250 and I have to really love the bag or have easy pay for that.
I feel the same. And since discovering this forum, I haven't paid remotely close to retail for any of my new bags. The last was in the fall of 2013 with the pebble satchel TSV.

Of course, I've more than made up for it in sheer number of purchases! :lol:

Unfortunately there was a part of the Lyra Mag post you did not get to see. It was a line of Signature Coated Cottons. They had some contrasting leather pipings or trim and in a variety of styles. Actually they looked rather nice. However there were no prices stated. Lyra Mag cut these pictures off after a couple of days. I had to wonder who would take a $550 dollar tote to the gym? Maybe Peter is trying to reposition himself in the handbag market as Coach is trying to do to "attract more upscale shoppers." After all Peter went to work for the family that made Coach when he was 17, learning the handbag business. It will be interesting to see if he really brings "quality, affordable bags to the table for fall." The second part of Lyra Mag Dooney and Bourke Fall 2014, Part 2 will probably appear sometime in August.

Carley seems like a fabric collection, because if you go on the dooney.com right now, and look under fabric, they already have the Carley Bailey bag.

I view the dooney bag styles all the time but usually sticker shocked end up looking at dooney outlets most of the time. As for purchasing expensive dooney styles I only own one florentine toggle hobo bag and very thankful and made possible by the the trade in program, that I have never paid more than $200 for a dooney bag, ever! I could not imagine carrying a Salleio, Alto, etc because those bags seem so structured and seem like they scratch easy not as durable as dillen, samba, pebble leather, patent, etc which are for everyday woman hard on a handbag on a daily basis. My favorite collection is the Ostrich, shows very little wear due to the print. Even in the samba collection, I will only buy the small crossbody as I cannot afford anything more unless I have another trade in.
I know Peter dooney is probably targeting higher end customers with Tivoli, Salleio, Lockwood, Tessuta, Caiman but I can only afford these bags on the trade in program or at the outlet.

I also save up money and religiously wait for 12 days of dooney, quality is not the same as their regular dooney collections, but it gives me a chance to own a designer bag.

Just hope that Dooney will continue with those workhorse bags that so many of us have grown to love throughout the years. Rstar, I'm right there with you about the outlets and the "Trade In Program." I do hope that the 12 Days of Dooney will be good this year and that there really are things we will love.

Unfortunately there was a part of the Lyra Mag post you did not get to see. It was a line of Signature Coated Cottons. They had some contrasting leather pipings or trim and in a variety of styles. Actually they looked rather nice. However there were no prices stated. Lyra Mag cut these pictures off after a couple of days. I had to wonder who would take a $550 dollar tote to the gym? Maybe Peter is trying to reposition himself in the handbag market as Coach is trying to do to "attract more upscale shoppers." After all Peter went to work for the family that made Coach when he was 17, learning the handbag business. It will be interesting to see if he really brings "quality, affordable bags to the table for fall." The second part of Lyra Mag Dooney and Bourke Fall 2014, Part 2 will probably appear sometime in August.

Maybe, I heard or read this incorrectly, but I thought Coach was not doing very well in the current marketplace.

Believe me, PF posters have saved me money the last year. Between heads up about Dooney site sales, F&F or outlet sales, I would never pay full retail ever, ever again. The only time I paid full retail, it was due to waiting too long to purchase a handbag. I heard the bag was in limited supply and made the purchase at a high price in order to get one. Guess what? Don't LOVE it. Like it and glad I have it, but wish I was more crazy about it and the price hadn't been so high.

The prices on some of the new collections are holy Batman those are high American dollar crazy prices. The color palatte is really nice. Hope the shades are nice IRL. Can't wait to hear from some of you who live close to the outlets.