Authenticity Opinions are just that...

That's really awful. It's such a service you all do to authenticate bags for us, and to use your TPF authentication as a means to earn seller credibility is a shame. :tdown:
Mon, remember that other member who listed her bag as "TPF member", after she was told on here that her authenticity card was from a fake? :confused1:
It's too bad as I know all of you take your reputations very seriously, as you should. Hopefully something can be done to prevent this sort of false advertisement. :hs:
I just wanted you all to know that so many of us appreciate your time and effort. Your generosity is appreciated more than you know. :heart::heart::heart:

Oh, here's a scary one:

Authentic Hermes Kelly!!!! tPF Authenicated

Hi Mon. If this is the listing you were referring to: http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-HERME...ryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

then yes, it was authenticated by one of our resident experts a few days ago.

I agree with your thoughts about potential risks of authenticators and of tPF. But I don't think there's anything else tPF can do to protect itself. In my view, the tPF disclaimer is sufficient to mimise the risks of liability.

The reality is, how would a complainant (i.e., one who purchased a fake bag after relying on a seller's statement that it's been authenticated by tPF) enforce her rights? This is a perennial internet problem isn't it-- how do you persuade a court/law enforcement agency to exercise jurisdiction over the matter? There's a conflict of laws issue, what if the buyer is in another country? There's also the first hurdle of determining who the authenticator is (if the complaining buyer seeks to hold that person liable, instead of tPF or with tPF). I doubt Vlad and the rest of the gang will voluntarily release personal information to any court/agency, unless lawfully ordered to so.

Do I think ebay should monitor false or misleading statements like "this has been authenticated by tPF" or "I am a tPF member"? Sure. But do we really think ebay would do that? Those guys are way too busy imposing more stringent regulations on sellers (higher fees! are you kidding!) or Vero-ing authentic luxury goods to probably bother regulating this.

Unfortunately, I've got no suggestions as to how tPF can regulate any statements by members/non-members in their ebay auctions. Will tPF issue a rule that says "members cannot mention tPF in ebay auctions" -- but again, how would tPF implement that? ban the member who posts that in the auction? Tough issue eh?

Sorry for the long rant. This issue has been bothering me for a while now because i've seen auctions that say they're tPF and when I email them to ask for their handle, they don't message back or give me a name but it's not in the members list....:shrugs:

If eBay was smart they would have potential listings authenticated by tPF or some other reliable source before they end up getting slapped with another Tiffany like lawsuit.

personally I think eBay should set up an 'AUTHENTICATE THIS' division within thier own resources with experts in all major brands that are prone to fakes. Where the seller can go tru them b4 listing or buyers can contact them b4 placing a bid. Buyers should always be aware there is risk involved in buying over the internet. Therefore sellers do not have to take matters into their own hands by saying item has been authenticated by tpf which may have or may not have been done. Very misleading for buyers. Bad bad sellers :tdown:

Even if smth's authenticated by a tPF member... anyone can sign up and become a member, also those scammers, saying theirs is auth yada yada and then unknowing buyers believe it...

If I saw a bag that the seller was claiming it was authenticated on TPF I wouldn't automatically assume that was correct...I'd ask for the seller's PF'er name (as not all of us have the same eBay name and PF'er name) and pm them on here asking for the thread page.
Maybe I'm just extra cautious when buying on eBay and others might just take what the seller states on the listing as the truth before researching it further.
There are lots of listings where the seller's state they are PF members and if I was interested in something they are selling I'd again ask for their PF'er name.