Authenticate This Stella McCartney

Hi Jess,

It is approx 37/38 cm high and only has the handbag straps, not the additional shoulder strap too. I had just assumed that it was an earlier version of this bag. Did one ever exist without the additional strap?

The zipper is branded YKK, however the lining is not flat, it's a bit raised, like braille. (I've checked my other Stella - and the lining is definitely different.)

The gold on the top of the straps has worn down (and used to mark my white tops - how did I not see the signs then?) however it is still gold on the sides. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm now thinking that I have fully been scammed.

Also I had wanted to repair it because I have so many great memories of times with this bag. (Which are now fading fast.)

How is it possible that an exceptionally reputable boutique, who is an official Stella McCartney stockist, has, it would appear, sold me a fake handbag?

Last edited:
Hi Jess, I bought it from a high end boutique in Australia and paid full price for this so I was sure that it was real.
I want to repair it because I have so many great memories of times with this bag. The gold on the top of the straps has worn down (which I have read does happen) however it is still gold on the sides.

Sorry, but it looks like the boutique sold you a fake bag. Maybe that's why they don't want to discuss this issue with you.
Make sure you authenticate before buying again.

If this bag is 37/38 cm high this bag is definitely fake.

On a positive note, at least you enjoyed it while you used it. Although, I'm even more scared of the fakes now...what kind of materials are they using that disintegrates likes his??

Last edited:
Oh gracious. Yes, I'm getting my head around that now. Just checking, did any Falabella handbags come without the additional strap? (I just want to have my facts straight.)

I have no idea what material they used. I didn't really notice the difference too much because my other one is a metallic green and I haven't used my brown bag since I bought the metallic green one. It's quite terrifying.

As this is a highly respected, high end shop that gets a lot of press I will be encouraging them to provide me with a real handbag, lest this gets made public (who would buy from them?) as they would definitely loose their Stella McCartney consignment rights along with every other high end brand I would imagine.

Last edited:
Yes of course the Falabella has a two-chain style.

It's a shame you don't have your receipt. Did you save any of the tags/cards that came with the bag? Dustbag?
The interior lining changed to pink around 2012. I don't know when you bought your bag. And yes, the lining in your bag is suspect. Falabella lining is made of recycled plastic.

I have used Stella bags as everyday bags for years...I don't even have a small area of peeling on any of my bags. Nor do I have any discoloration of the chains. I have card cases and wallets that have been heavily used and they don't have any wear whatsoever.

How To Spot A Genuine Stella McCartney Falabella Handbag​

Last edited:
Hi Jess,
I have my receipt and they know me at the shop.
I bought it at a trunk show, and in hindsight don't remember getting a dustbag, however I put that down to getting it at a trunk show. They also gave me discount, so I didn't get pushy.
They had taken the tags off for me. (Warning!) However, they were known to me and I trusted them. Wow. That was a mistake.
The lining of my bag is definitely the incorrect colour as I bought my bag in 2013.
And my handbag only has normal shoulder straps, not the additional chain.

I'm so grateful for your help. Thank you!

I'll be going back to them and very kindly ask for the handbag that I paid for 11 years ago, to make it's way to my house.

I'll let you know how I go.

Hi Jess,
I have my receipt and they know me at the shop.
I bought it at a trunk show, and in hindsight don't remember getting a dustbag, however I put that down to getting it at a trunk show. They also gave me discount, so I didn't get pushy.
They had taken the tags off for me. (Warning!) However, they were known to me and I trusted them. Wow. That was a mistake.
The lining of my bag is definitely the incorrect colour as I bought my bag in 2013.
And my handbag only has normal shoulder straps, not the additional chain.

I'm so grateful for your help. Thank you!

I'll be going back to them and very kindly ask for the handbag that I paid for 11 years ago, to make it's way to my house.

I'll let you know how I go.
11 years is a long time. Also without the tags/dustbag etc. it is harder to prove that this is actually the bag that they sold to you.
Maybe you will have to accept this mistake but moving forward you will know what to look for. They might say that you stored it improperly or that it is not the bag that they sold to you.

The normal shoulder straps as you call them - 2 chains - is a style that exists. The 3- chain foldover tote is another style. There is nothing wrong with the number of chains.

Nevertheless, since they know you, maybe it will work out. Let us know!

Hi Jess

You're very kind, but I am very well known to this store. I have the receipt and they know they sold me the bag. I initially spoke with the sales assistant who sold it to me and they know the kind of person I am and how I look after my things, which is really well. This is also a big learning curve as it's the first time I haven't bought an expensive handbag from a department store or from the actual designer directly.

Good to know that the 2 chains design does exist. (As I do prefer that style.)

This is one of Australia's top boutiques. It also very well known globally. They know my family well and they have lied to me and sold me a fake. I am behond livid and quite frankly I can ruin their business if this gets out. (And that's how they got around not having the dustbag etc as they were being so kind to me to give me discount, because they "look after me" and "I'm so lucky" etc so I just let it go.

That said, I just want the handbag that I was supposed to be sold and to be done with it. I never never have anything to do with them or that shop again.

I shall keep you updated as to how I go.

Yikes! It's a terrible fake. Sorry
eBay is pretty good about returning fake items. Just contact them and they’ll approve a return and refund for you. I hope this helps. Good luck and post here before buying another Falabella. Jess or myself can help you so you don’t end up with another fake. I’m seeing a lot of “brand new” fake Falabellas on eBay for $120-$150. Stay away from those. New ones cost more than that but it’s still possible to get a good deal on a preowned one.

I can never seem to figure out how to post a new comment. Interested in buying this reversible tote. Can anyone confirm if it’s real?

Attachments

• IMG_8695.jpeg
    IMG_8695.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8696.jpeg
    IMG_8696.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8697.jpeg
    IMG_8697.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8698.jpeg
    IMG_8698.jpeg