Scarves Authenticate This HERMÈS Scarf READ 1ST POST BEFORE POSTING!

Reactions: cathee1
Thank you for your help!

Item: Auth Hermes La Mare Aux Canards
Listing number: 263619037740
Seller: apehed
Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auth-Herme...037740?hash=item3d60eb4a2c:g:JSoAAOSw4i5Zuxmy
Comments: I have seen pix of this same CW but with signature in white, and with c copyright after HERMES PARIS. One might be a reissue? Thanks for sharing your expertise.

The mare aux canards is authentic
Reissue yes
This design has huge variations from exemplar to exemplar - manufacturing issues - so all exemplars do not look alike - one of my fav , have it in several cws
Sorry unable to pull mine out to check but this one is a light cobalt although it sometimes photographs as turquoise , the color does not photograph easily and accurately
These photos seem close but would have to pull mine to be certain - I have dirty hands - it is breakfast time
Checked my photo cannot remember if border is red or pink

Last edited:
Reactions: momasaurus
The mare aux canards is authentic
Reissue yes
This design has huge variations from exemplar to exemplar - manufacturing issues - so all exemplars do not look alike - one of my fav , have it in several cws
Sorry unable to pull mine out to check but this one is a light cobalt although it sometimes photographs as turquoise , the color does not photograph easily and accurately
These photos seem close but would have to pull mine to be certain - I have dirty hands - it is breakfast time
Checked my photo cannot remember if border is red or pink
Thank you, MT. Sorry to disrupt your breakfast, LOL! I appreciate your expertise, especially with reissues, oddball issues, color misrepresentation, etc.

Good morning MT!
Would you be able to authenticate this scarf - it's a jacquard!

Item - AUTHENTIC HERMÈS Carre 90 "Par Mefsire ANTOINE DE PLVVINEL" Silk Scarf
Listing number - 263608966909
Seller - reference-shop
Link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
comments - I've heard that there are some fake jacquards - I'm hoping this isn't one as I love this color!
Thanks for all your help!

Good morning MT!

Seller - reference-shop
Link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-HERMÈS-Carre-90-Par-Mefsire-ANTOINE-DE-PLVVINEL-Silk-Scarf/263608966909?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
comments - I've heard that there are some fake jacquards - I'm hoping this isn't one as I love this color!
I'm not sure the link is working - here it is again:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-HERMÈS-Carre-90-Par-Mefsire-ANTOINE-DE-PLVVINEL-Silk-Scarf/263608966909?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Edited again - it works in the quote! <facepalm>

Good morning MT!

Seller - reference-shop
Link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The instruction is authentic

Interesting. The background is sort of a two-toned, stripey mix, like trying to give a lake effect?
It is supposed to look like cloisonne - think chinese vase ware
The ducks definitely look Chinese cloisonne - you can see the cloisons - where the metal would stick up to hold each color of enamel
The background has a basse taille look - where they engraved the bottom of the piece and would have used a transparent enamel - think Fabergé. And in certain cws the background recedes - kinda 3D like
But the stripes are kinda blurry - like real metalwork topped with enamel - the stripes are not perfect nor were they supposed to be
Blurry techniques on the scarves had just been developed when this design was new - gradient border on Folies, the rocky border on Pierres d Orient, marble on Carpe Diem .
To me this is an old style artisanal design - not the mass produced ones of today
This was a big innovation by Hermes - remember there was no ink jet printing then, this was all screened. It took H a few years to work out the kinks in the printing which is why there is a lot of variation between exemplars but the good ones are stupendously good
My photo is kinda blurry - no one ever said I can take photos well - bu you get the idea about the 3D look and variation in stripe width

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 151
It is supposed to look like cloisonne - think chinese vase ware
The ducks definitely look Chinese cloisonne - you can see the cloisons - where the metal would stick up to hold each color of enamel
The background has a basse taille look - where they engraved the bottom of the piece and would have used a transparent enamel - think Fabergé. And in certain cws the background recedes - kinda 3D like
But the stripes are kinda blurry - like real metalwork topped with enamel - the stripes are not perfect nor were they supposed to be
Blurry techniques on the scarves had just been developed when this design was new - gradient border on Folies, the rocky border on Pierres d Orient, marble on Carpe Diem .
To me this is an old style artisanal design - not the mass produced ones of today
This was a big innovation by Hermes - remember there was no ink jet printing then, this was all screened. It took H a few years to work out the kinks in the printing which is why there is a lot of variation between exemplars but the good ones are stupendously good
My photo is kinda blurry - no one ever said I can take photos well - bu you get the idea about the 3D look and variation in stripe width

Wow, that is truly fascinating, mt! Thank you for sharing your knowledge! It really makes me appreciate the artistic craftsmanship of this scarf. I kinda want one now. This is why this thread is so dangerous!

Reactions: Cookiefiend
Wow, that is truly fascinating, mt! Thank you for sharing your knowledge! It really makes me appreciate the artistic craftsmanship of this scarf. I kinda want one now. This is why this thread is so dangerous!
I am glad to have enabled you about an oldie !
The cws on this one were out of the ordinary too - love the cobalt & neons - the 1980s & 1990s were all about navy, wine/red, dark green/emerald - kinda what I call Gucci colors - not a lot of brights sometimes
I have a funny feeling that some designers got input into the colors for theirs - they got to color outside the box - Mare aux Canards is an example - Pierres is another - lots of bright yellow and purple. Whereas, the classics - Cles, Bdg, anything by Originy - lumbered on in the less controversial in blue/red/green Gucci colors
I have several nicely-printed exemplars of this one, and the printing is deliberately blurry - I love the fact that was a mind blowing skill at the time. The Jeu des Omnibus Remix/ Suite et Poursuite also have crooked/blurry lines, but, IMHO, those betray the facty that they are done with modern printing - not an artisan squeegeeing the ink himself.