Authenticate This DOONEY & BOURKE

Please post authenticity questions related to DOONEY & BOURKE in this thread.

Note: The PurseForum requests that only members with extensive knowledge of the brand and authenticating who have over 500 posts participate as authenticators in this AT thread. The moderators reserve the right to remove authentications that do not meet these requirements.

Please follow the following rules:

Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated. This is not a thread to ask general questions about DOONEY & BOURKE; please refer to our Handbags & Purses forum for such information.

This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:

Item:
Listing number:
Seller:
Link:
Comments:
If the bag in question is not on an auction site, please use the following:

Item Name (if you know it):
Link (if available):
Then attach any photos (all authentication must include photos.)

• Authenticators are not required to answer every request and it is their right to ignore a request that is not in the proper format.
  • Please note that comments on price and condition are NOT permitted.
  • Do NOT PM an authenticator or moderator to request authentication. Any and all such requests should be posted in this thread.

Should one of your items be questioned in this thread, you are welcome to provide additional pictures or materials supporting its authenticity.

Do not handle your disputes with other members in this thread but take your differences to Private Messages. Failure to do so can result in banning.

Please utilize the "Quote" feature when responding directly to another post.

Disclaimer

All Authenticate This threads on tPF are meant to provide assistance to shoppers who are uncertain about the legitimacy and authenticity of designer goods. The evaluations posted by tPF's members are only opinions that stem from personal experiences as shoppers and collectors. They are not legally binding or professional authentications and should not be treated as such.

For questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact the forum administration via the forum's contact form.

Thank you, Catbird! I appreciate your response and value your opinion. I have decided to keep the bag and force myself not to dwell on those microscopic defects. Now, I only hope I can get rid of the smell! Do you, or does anybody out there know how to clean or refresh that fabric to get rid of cigarette smoke odor??? I never realized the significance of item coming from a smoke-fee home, but I'll never buy again without the listing specifically stating so. Any experience with cleaning or advice on what to do or not to do would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
The Coach Rehab and Rescue thread is a good resource for ways to remove smoke odors. You can "search this thread only" using the search term smoke.

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/

The most effective method seems to be leaving the bag outdoors in the shade every day for a week or longer (weather permitting of course!)

I don't recommend spraying with any kind of scented product (i.e. Febreze) because that will only make it worse. There is a spray product called Zero Odor but I haven't tried it. Good luck!

Happy Saturday! Hoping to get an authentication on this vintage AWL taupe binocular bag.

There are a few things that make me think it's fake but I'm wondering also if it might just be the age of the bag as it has the DB fob.

The things that I'm questioning:

- the vertical lines in the leather on the front
- that tiny detail piece of leather on the closure strap
- Taiwan front brass closure, perhaps a repair though?
- bottom of the bag is one piece, not two
- absence of an interior tag, but again may just be age?
- straps cannot be removed

Note the duck seal on the back is sewn on, could not get a good photo of the stitching seen in the pocket.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 216
Happy Saturday! Hoping to get an authentication on this vintage AWL taupe binocular bag.

There are a few things that make me think it's fake but I'm wondering also if it might just be the age of the bag as it has the DB fob.

The things that I'm questioning:

- the vertical lines in the leather on the front
- that tiny detail piece of leather on the closure strap
- Taiwan front brass closure, perhaps a repair though?
- bottom of the bag is one piece, not two
- absence of an interior tag, but again may just be age?
- straps cannot be removed

Note the duck seal on the back is sewn on, could not get a good photo of the stitching seen in the pocket.

Thank you!
It's authentic. The lines in the leather are fine, you will see lots of different textures in the older AWL. Closure tab and brass loop are correct, lack of red white and blue tag inside means it was made around 1984-5. The straps are the older double-buckle style, adjustable on both sides but not removable as later ones were. A classic!

It's authentic. The lines in the leather are fine, you will see lots of different textures in the older AWL. Closure tab and brass loop are correct, lack of red white and blue tag inside means it was made around 1984-5. The straps are the older double-buckle style, adjustable on both sides but not removable as later ones were. A classic!

Oh, thank you! I'm pleasantly surprised. Got it for $3, so I'm extra happy

Reactions: Catbird9
There isn't an identify thread so hopefully it's ok if I post this here again with another question. Is this the binocular bag in mushroom? What is the trim color? It's not the usual British tan. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 176
There isn't an identify thread so hopefully it's ok if I post this here again with another question. Is this the binocular bag in mushroom? What is the trim color? It's not the usual British tan. Thanks!
It looks like Taupe with British Tan trim to me. Mushroom is darker. The British Tan color can vary quite a bit due to aging, sun exposure, and other factors.

It looks like Taupe with British Tan trim to me. Mushroom is darker. The British Tan color can vary quite a bit due to aging, sun exposure, and other factors.
Hmm, maybe my bag is mushroom? I always assumed it was taupe. Do you know what paint or dye color would match? It's more brown than the picture shows, but it is pretty dark.

Attachments

• dooney010.jpg
    dooney010.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 162

Hmm, maybe my bag is mushroom? I always assumed it was taupe. Do you know what paint or dye color would match? It's more brown than the picture shows, but it is pretty dark.

Here's a comparison collage showing what I believe to be Taupe, Dark Taupe and Mushroom side by side. Mushroom is the darkest. Also below is a color chart from 1993 which may (or may not!) help.

The Taupe Small Essex pictured in the collage is mine. There were some scuffs that needed covering and I was able to mix a close color by trial and error using acrylic paints. "Taupe" seems to be all over the map color-wise (beige, grey, greenish, brownish tones) so you just need to play around with the mix.

Attachments

• Styles & Colors.jpg
    Styles & Colors.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Color chart 1993.JPG
    Color chart 1993.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 178
Here's a comparison collage showing what I believe to be Taupe, Dark Taupe and Mushroom side by side. Mushroom is the darkest. Also below is a color chart from 1993 which may (or may not!) help.

The Taupe Small Essex pictured in the collage is mine. There were some scuffs that needed covering and I was able to mix a close color by trial and error using acrylic paints. "Taupe" seems to be all over the map color-wise (beige, grey, greenish, brownish tones) so you just need to play around with the mix.
Thank you! It could actually be any of them!

Reactions: Catbird9