Authenticate This DOONEY & BOURKE

Please post authenticity questions related to DOONEY & BOURKE in this thread.

Note: The PurseForum requests that only members with extensive knowledge of the brand and authenticating who have over 500 posts participate as authenticators in this AT thread. The moderators reserve the right to remove authentications that do not meet these requirements.

Please follow the following rules:

Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated. This is not a thread to ask general questions about DOONEY & BOURKE; please refer to our Handbags & Purses forum for such information.

This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:

Item:
Listing number:
Seller:
Link:
Comments:
If the bag in question is not on an auction site, please use the following:

Item Name (if you know it):
Link (if available):
Then attach any photos (all authentication must include photos.)

• Authenticators are not required to answer every request and it is their right to ignore a request that is not in the proper format.
  • Please note that comments on price and condition are NOT permitted.
  • Do NOT PM an authenticator or moderator to request authentication. Any and all such requests should be posted in this thread.

Should one of your items be questioned in this thread, you are welcome to provide additional pictures or materials supporting its authenticity.

Do not handle your disputes with other members in this thread but take your differences to Private Messages. Failure to do so can result in banning.

Please utilize the "Quote" feature when responding directly to another post.

Disclaimer

All Authenticate This threads on tPF are meant to provide assistance to shoppers who are uncertain about the legitimacy and authenticity of designer goods. The evaluations posted by tPF's members are only opinions that stem from personal experiences as shoppers and collectors. They are not legally binding or professional authentications and should not be treated as such.

For questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact the forum administration via the forum's contact form.

^^^^ Seller ID of the fake: socialflutterby15

I believe that's a very early authentic Dooney.

The green label and old style fob are from the early 1980s. (According to Horsekeeping, it's from 1983-84.)

Thanks! The green label looks right...I just wasn't sure about the pocket inside and the canvas with no duck. You think it's before they came up with AWL and the duck emblem? That's very early indeed!

This is an eBay auction, a vintage bag. Would anyone please be able to check it out? My mother would love it. Thanks!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112385940941

Sorry, it's fake.

^^^^ Seller ID of the fake: socialflutterby15
Yikes, it looks like socialflutterby15 might know that her bag is fake. It was already sold TWICE to other buyers. I wonder if they returned it as counterfeit.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...0&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=dooney&_sacat=11450

Hello dooney ladies. Hoping to get your opinion about this one. No duck patch, green label, canvas. It's got me scratching my head!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332204508508

(Not my listing)
I believe that's a very early authentic Dooney.

The green label and old style fob are from the early 1980s. (According to Horsekeeping, it's from 1983-84.)
Thanks! The green label looks right...I just wasn't sure about the pocket inside and the canvas with no duck. You think it's before they came up with AWL and the duck emblem? That's very early indeed!

I've never seen a blank patch like that. Perhaps @Catbird9 may have seen it.

I've seen a blank oval patch like that on a Dooney. I'll see if I can find an example.

I agree, it's an authentic early (and rare!) Dooney. I've never seen one; thanks for posting.

ETA: Here are a couple of links showing examples of blank ovals on Dooneys.
https://vintagedooneybourke.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/paula-is-this-a-real-or-fake-dooney-bourke/
http://www.horsekeeping.com/Dooney/BC/960-portfolio-brief-dktaupebt.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravvie99
I've seen a blank oval patch like that on a Dooney. I'll see if I can find an example.

I agree, it's an authentic early (and rare!) Dooney. I've never seen one; thanks for posting.

https://vintagedooneybourke.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/paula-is-this-a-real-or-fake-dooney-bourke/

I think I am posting incorrectly and I do apologize, would someone be able to direct me? I'd like to have a bag authenticated by knowings eyes. I am new to Dooney, I think I really like the vintage ones, and I think I may have one. Its been hard to identify with research but these forums have helped me so much so that I think I've identified a possible fake (I got it from a thrift store for $2)...Any way, the one I'd like to have identified and authenticated is just beautiful. I got it at a garage sale, it was accompanied by another newer looking Dooney that had all of its original tags. I got them both and 2 Coach wallets for $35. Anything that you all can tell me about this bag would be great. I plan to sell it; I don't know its name/title, judging by its tag, I think its vintage 86 (my birth year :smile: lol), and I'm unsure if the bag is missing anything. Educate me please :smile:
I've tried to post photos, I have several good ones, but for some reason I can only post one. Help.

Attachments

• purses_may1-31.jpg
    purses_may1-31.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 128
I think I am posting incorrectly and I do apologize, would someone be able to direct me? I'd like to have a bag authenticated by knowings eyes. I am new to Dooney, I think I really like the vintage ones, and I think I may have one. Its been hard to identify with research but these forums have helped me so much so that I think I've identified a possible fake (I got it from a thrift store for $2)...Any way, the one I'd like to have identified and authenticated is just beautiful. I got it at a garage sale, it was accompanied by another newer looking Dooney that had all of its original tags. I got them both and 2 Coach wallets for $35. Anything that you all can tell me about this bag would be great. I plan to sell it; I don't know its name/title, judging by its tag, I think its vintage 86 (my birth year :smile: lol), and I'm unsure if the bag is missing anything. Educate me please :smile:
I've tried to post photos, I have several good ones, but for some reason I can only post one. Help.
Generally I prefer to see a lot more pictures than just the one you've shown but in this case, I can tell you it's authentic.

I think you're incorrect about the age of the tote though. Generally handbags are considered to be vintage at 20+ years old and though I don't know the exact age of your bag, I believe it to be from 2000-'05-ish.

Thank you so much for responding as promptly as you have. I have tons of photos I SO want you all to see...what do you suggest regarding the error message the file is too large? Is there anything you or others do to get around that? I think I was able to get some photos in here...Can you see them?

Attachments

• purses_may1-50.jpg
    purses_may1-50.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 129
  • purses_may1-53.jpg
    purses_may1-53.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 128
  • purses_may1-40.jpg
    purses_may1-40.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 134
  • purses_may1-48.jpg
    purses_may1-48.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 135
  • purses_may1-44.jpg
    purses_may1-44.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 132
Hello ladies! I would appreciate a once over from your expert eyes when you get a chance. Thanks!

Item: Valerie bag - pebble grain version
Seller: Goodwill (in my possession)
Dimensions: about 18 x 11.5 x 6.5 (it's floppy so those are imprecise)

IMG_1493935110.148788.jpgIMG_1493935157.850056.jpgIMG_1493935174.249167.jpgIMG_1493935189.402537.jpgIMG_1493935213.520558.jpg

Hello ladies! I would appreciate a once over from your expert eyes when you get a chance. Thanks!

Item: Valerie bag - pebble grain version
Seller: Goodwill (in my possession)
Dimensions: about 18 x 11.5 x 6.5 (it's floppy so those are imprecise)

View attachment 3688678View attachment 3688681View attachment 3688682View attachment 3688685View attachment 3688686
Looks like the Portofino leather Valerie, but it could be a different leather. Some people had reported the ducks falling off. I secured mine by running a thin line of crazy glue or clear nail polish around the edge of the duck, between the duck and the gold border it sits in. Just be careful not to get it on the leather or the top of the duck. I find the clear nail polish easier to work with and I've never lost a duck. :smile:

Reactions: Transported
Looks like the Portofino leather Valerie, but it could be a different leather. Some people had reported the ducks falling off. I secured mine by running a thin line of crazy glue or clear nail polish around the edge of the duck, between the duck and the gold border it sits in. Just be careful not to get it on the leather or the top of the duck. I find the clear nail polish easier to work with and I've never lost a duck. :smile:

Thanks so much for the ID and tip! [emoji846]