Aubergine Sheen vs. Dark Purple Matte

jcsprstr

Feb 23, 2008
Hello ladies, I'm about to order my next IB midi and I need some help. I have swatches of both Aubergine and the Dark Purple Matte. I love the depth and tone of the Aubergine, but from my test scratches, it doesn't seem to wear as well as the matte - the matte feels better and if I'm being really honest, from the little swatches I have feels and looks more 'expensive.'

I need help! Thoughts?

I love both the matte dark purple and the aubergine! But, the matte will probably wear better.

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5612.JPG
    IMG_5612.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 100
  • TwoPurples2.JPG
    TwoPurples2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 130
Aubergine is beautiful but yes, it is more delicate than other leathers yet I've read someone else's comments that their dark purple matte had whitish spots wearing in the leather. Maybe do a search to see if you can find it. It's the only comment though I've read that was negative about dpm. I tend to like aubergine only because to me it has a bit more character however I've only seen swatches of dpm and cannot comment really on how it looks as a whole bag. I do know that I can condition aubergine and any areas that might appear to have wear or scuffs cover right up. Both leathers would be beautiful and make a great bag. I myself lean toward aubergine just by a hair! :smile:

ETA: Posted at the same time as Sandy! Sandy has experience with both leathers!

sandysandiego - THANK YOU! I love the dark purple matte swatch I have and your bag looks terrific!

tlloveshim - I really appreciate your help! I do love the aubergine.

So right now, the dark purple matte is my slight preference... I wish I could have both.

I would do both too if I could:P

I briefly had an aubergine bag and it was lovely!

I just looked back to see which bag you are contemplating and now I am now changing my vote! I think I would prefer that style in a glossy/sheen or crash leather.

For some reason I prefer the less structured bags in the matte. Awhile back I ordered a matte petrol Charm Me Mini but just did not like the combination. I may be alone in this opinion.

So, aubergine IB Midi is what I would choose! If I were to do another IB midi I would pick either the
pewter or the aubergine! I would love to see this bag!

Last edited:
I would initially choose Dark Purple matte..because i love the mattes..and i also at first had a more structured bag in my mind when ordering one..the Charm me, but went for the Stroke me and TMA instead.

And I agree with sandy, that a glossy/ sheen type of leather will suit the structered bags better.

I have also the Aubergine in the TMA(and TME and a Hold me), and allthough I love this leather, I think it goes better with a less relaxed model.

At the end of the day, choose what you love. Mattes have that delicious fragrant leather smell and the DPM is like velvet. Don't forget, the matte leathers soften and smoosh beautifully with time, so your bag will be soft, but still retain some structure.

I do like the sheens/glossies, but in my opinion, they don't wear as well (more delicate) and have a different tactile feel to them.

It all comes down to what you love though. I personally still think the pebbled leathers suit the IB/IB midi best.

And I lurve my Port pebbled IB, but I also lurve my black crash IB midi and the Midnight glossy IB (though I mostly just stare at that one)...never had a BE in matte. Full confession: I'm also getting a matte Tan IB midi to be used as a summer messenger bag... please, if from now on you think of me as nuts, just be kind.

"and the Midnight glossy IB (though I mostly just stare at that one)"

Oooooooh jcsprstr, you beautiful creature, I love that statement more than you could know.

Thank you for allowing me to laugh and regain my sanity today. I would say that you are already channeling towards productivity... although making me laugh isn't exaclty going to get you more BE's, unless you count my decision to perfect my craft in supporting all who are Be-land and be a good little Benabler.

And on that note, I personally am thrilled about the Matte Tan IB Midi - good decision!