Attention Uk Buyers/sellers.........help!!

Customs charges are the reason that I would be really unlikely to buy an expensive item from outwith the EU (well apart from a purchase from Diabro- but I was aware that they significantly under declare the value if the buyer wants).

I will often buy items worth up to about $200 from USA and usually don't get charged customs (which is lucky), though I bought a dress for $160 recently and the seller marked the value at $95 and I had to pay a customs bill of $60.

Here's my dilemma, I have a bag on ebay right now and have offered free shipping to anyone who uses the BIN option ($2499). I don't offer International shipping because of the high costs, but this person has asked if I would make an exception and send to the UK if she were to use the BIN option. I agreed and will still honor the free shipping. Well, she asked me if I knew how much duties and customs costs might be so I looked on the FedEx site and found that it would cost her around $525!!! Unless I read the thing wrong...............that's just crazy!!!

Does anyone know if there are less expensive ways to ship from the US to the UK?? I will not claim less than the $2500 on the shipping form, so that's not an option for me. Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! :flowers:

Customs are extortionate, here. :tdown:

It's normally around 22.5%, give or take. :yes:

On the plus side, until recently, European designer goods (and most other things) could, generally, be purchased for less in the US than they could in the UK (yes, I know, scandalous, considering we're actually in Europe!) and also, while the dollar remains lowish, the saving from that pretty much cancels the customs fee out.

Last edited:
this tax and charges thing is so annoying...=(

but i want to ask, if i bought an item on ebay and they sent it to my friend's place in LA, then my frd would mail it to me, how would that work out? will it classed as a gift?
and would i pay charge?!

Hmm two problems there, if you paid with your account and sent to friends address paypal problem. And also gifts do carry a customs liability I believe.
I think we have to either shop in London or go on holiday to America!

it depends on what your friend puts on the customs form. i've had things sent to friends who've then sent my packages with tracking but marked a very low value and then i haven't paid anything.

If my winning item is sent to my frd in LA, then whats the best postal service to use to send it to UK for me? and what should she write on the parcel? price etc?
thanks!

it depends on what your friend puts on the customs form. i've had things sent to friends who've then sent my packages with tracking but marked a very low value and then i haven't paid anything.

Yes, but then you can't mark the insurance higher, of course, or they'll smell a rat (the seller of a bag I bought did that, once - she marked it for customs at what I'd paid and then insured it for the retail price and customs charged me on the [much] higher insurance amount!) and if you only insure it for the low amount and the bag goes missing, you've (or the seller/shipper has), obviously, lost most of the money. :sad:

The only thing I can think that you could do, as the seller/shipper, to get around that, is insure it separately (i.e. not through the postal service).

Of course, if one is found to have lied on customs forms, one might be in trouble, though.

Last edited: