At LV and Saks today, saw some really compulsive buying happening...

I once paid with two credit cards (I don't use debit cards). As long as you are able pay I can't see any problem. I just hope they weren't biting off more that they could chew!

I am in my late 20s but look like I am in high school. My cards have a $800 daily limit or I need to call the bank. One time I was impulse buying and forgot to call in and had to use 3 cards and a check. I didn't care and neither did the SA since she was more then happy to wait 10 min for her commission.

I've split payments before and I can afford it :shrugs:

Me too. Sometimes, I prefer to just keep the peace in the home. If my LV purchase does not exceed a certain limit, no questions are asked by DH. Therefore, I have been known to throw some of my cash on the purchase so that I don't have to have that conversation - LOL. It's not like I answer to my husband but he really does not see the point of purses that cost thousands of dollars. People have their reasons and it really is no one else's business.

They could have been possibly paying with those Visa/AMEX gift cards. Maybe they got several of them for Christmas. Or maybe their debit/credit cards have a daily limit. One time my husband and I went and bought all new appliances for our house. Our debit cards have a daily $2000.00 spending limit. (If you call the bank ahead of time and tell them you are making a big purchase, they will usually waive it, but on this particular occasion, we forgot to call). But we ended up using 4 cards (out of two bank accounts) to pay for our appliances. It was kind of embarrassing.

You can never tell how much money people have..my husband is a prime example. LOL

I was in LV once, and a well off looking couple were buying a white mahina. They did the same thing at the register- pulling out multiple cards, one of them didn't have a balance etc... I was so embarrassed for them! Another day there were 2 very young looking women shopping. They didn't really look like they had money..they were ..well, just kind of poor looking, they both had little kids running wild in the store etc...They were also being kind of loud and rude- but they each bought a bag and a wallet, and when they got to the register they pulled out a gigantic wad of cash and started peeling off hundreds! Several of us were standing there with our mouths hanging open! lol I realized that it was really wrong of me to judge them! haha

But..maxing out multiple cards? That seems like a bad idea.

Maybe she was declaring bankruptcy? One of my college roommates took her friends shopping and maxed out all of her store cards and credit cards before filing. Total scammers.

You definitely CANNOT judge a book by its cover!! I learned that last year. I was helping out a friend who owned a Harley Shop last year during Christmas. Helping with gift wrapping and such. Some people that came in there looked completely homeless but would buy a $30,000.00 bike WITH CASH! :wtf::wtf::wtf: It blew my mind. But taught me that everybody is different and some people like to show their wealth with nice cars, clothes and bags. Some like nice bikes. And some people keep their wealth bottled up in jars in their basement and nobody knows about it until after the person is dead :nuts:

You don't know it was necessarily beyond their means. I bought a very expensive diamond ring at Tiffanys recently - and I'm in my late 20s but could pass for 18 - and used four credit cards for the purchase even though I had the money in the bank. I wanted the 3% cash back and each card had either a cash back limit or just a general credit limit that required me to be creative with which amounts went on each card. I paid off the balances from my checking account before the end of the week but to someone else who was making assumptions and with no context it could have looked like I was in-debting myself for life.

I guess my point is, if its not your money and if you don't know the details, who cares? Sorry that you got ignored at LV though. Thats always very frustrating when the store is busy. :smile:

I completely agree. My hubby actually split the payment between 2 cards when he purchased my Artsy MM for our Anniversary. It's not that we didn't have the money- it's because he purposely has insanely low credit limits on his credit cards. His parents taught him to do it that way so he doesn't go overboard LOL! He grew up with tons of money and never had to budget ANYTHING until we were married, so it's his way of trying to keep track of things, that's all :smile: I wouldn't judge anyone unless you knew the exact circumstances. It's like my Algebra II and Geometry teacher from high school ALWAYS joked, "ASSuming only makes an *** out of yourself" ;) (referring to Angle Side Side.. but she always had to mention that LOL! I will never forget that!)

You definitely CANNOT judge a book by its cover!! I learned that last year. I was helping out a friend who owned a Harley Shop last year during Christmas. Helping with gift wrapping and such. Some people that came in there looked completely homeless but would buy a $30,000.00 bike WITH CASH! :wtf::wtf::wtf: It blew my mind. But taught me that everybody is different and some people like to show their wealth with nice cars, clothes and bags. Some like nice bikes. And some people keep their wealth bottled up in jars in their basement and nobody knows about it until after the person is dead :nuts:

YES LOL! When I met my now husband, I thought he was dirt poor- the way he dressed (Always showed up to college classes in all camo LOL!- he would go hunting before classes! HAHA), the way he acted, LOL. He was driving his dad's OLD truck (I didn't know that he has JUST totaled his brand new vehicle LOL). And when I met his parents, I thought the same thing. They drive 10 year old cars, don't buy really expensive clothes, and they are really humble. I was shocked beyond belief after we were engaged and together for about 3 years when I accidentally saw one of his mothers' pay checks. She made ~$200k a year at the time. Some people just have different interests- that's what makes the world interesting. If everyone liked the same things, it would be a pretty boring world! You'd be surprised at how many wealthy people don't really care about the cars they drive or the clothes they wear.

Maybe she was declaring bankruptcy? One of my college roommates took her friends shopping and maxed out all of her store cards and credit cards before filing. Total scammers.

:wtf:

Agree with everybody else that has said to not make assumptions. I regularly split payments over cards and pay in cash when I can afford it as well -- I have this OCD about having whole dollar amounts on my credit card statement as well as having insanely low card balances to keep myself on track.

I've split payments before (paid almost all in cash then put a little on my credit card, mainly to help boost my credit) but I'd never max out that many cards for luxury items. I'd rather save up then buy it next christmas when I can afford it without having to max out cards. I wonder how some people survive an emergency when they've taken care of their wants ahead of their needs?

I think spliting upon 2 cards is fine. But 3 different cards AND cash?! It's like splitting up the dinner bill among 4 people for a purse! I think that is too much. If you don't have the funds, just wait. No worries on that. But there are so many compulsive buyers out there. I know people like that too. Spend money they don't have or date someone that buys them everything. Just not right, but it happens.

well i guess each to their own. if they were splitting the payments because they had maxed out cards then obviously it's not an ideal way to shop. however sometimes me and hubby split payments on stuff because we want to. or sometimes i happen to have cash on me and then i pay the balance with a card.

My husband and I keep all our finances separate. We have no joint accounts together. When it comes time to pay the bills or buy groceries or items for the house, I usually am the one who ends up going to the store. To slove this problem, I am an authorized user on his credit cards. So when I buy groceries, or gifts, I just put half the amount on my card and the other half on his. That way there is no keeping track of expenses or writing checks back and forth. It works really well for us. Perhaps they were doing something like that? Either way, it really isnt a concern for anyone else. I too have been known to juggle multiple credit cards for large purchase items, only because I get cash back on certain cards and points on others. I try to spread the love equally!

My husband and I have a lot of separate accounts too, back when I worked, I liked having my own money. A few years ago he was buying me a Neverfull, and gave me his Discover card to use. They wouldn't let me use it because my name wasn't on it! It didn't help that I still have my maiden name, so our names don't even match. lol It was very embarrassing, and I was standing at the register like an idiot. I had to put it on one of my cards, which was a bummer, because we were getting a 5% ******** promotion with Discover. I had kind of forgotten about that embarrassing experience..LOL