Asked for BIN price. Now what?

colony

O.G.
Apr 23, 2011
I'm selling a high end bag on ebay which has no bids yet (minimum is set to minimum price I am willing to accept). It has 21 watchers.

I've just got a question from a buyer asking if I have a buy it now price, or will I accept an offer?

What do you think I should do? I'm in no rush to sell.

I think you answered your own question... I am in no rush to sell..

What is the offer?? Is it fair for you?? Is is the minimum you set or above that amount?

21 watchers doesn't mean 21 buyers or offers, as I am sure you know..

You could let the buyer know if the item doesn't sell, you will contact
her.. but that is up to you...and she may not have the same "level of
interest" by auctions end... so its a crap shoot in some ways...

I think you answered your own question... I am in no rush to sell..

What is the offer?? Is it fair for you?? Is is the minimum you set or above that amount?

21 watchers doesn't mean 21 buyers or offers, as I am sure you know..

You could let the buyer know if the item doesn't sell, you will contact
her.. but that is up to you...and she may not have the same "level of
interest" by auctions end... so its a crap shoot in some ways...

Thanks for your advice, I did exactly that and said I'd contact her if item doesn't sell. I was thinking maybe she didn't want to risk bidding, and pushing the price up so maybe I would sell to her for a slightly higher yet cheaper price.

Or perhaps I'm living in la-la land and she just wanted a bargain for a quick sale. Either way it's done, thanks again!!

I get asked this sometimes if I don't put a buy it now price in. There is no harm in adding one for her, if you want to and there are no bids yet you can still edit your auction to do so. Many buyers don't like waiting it out. The only reason I don't put one in sometimes is because I am not sure what fair market value is, and decide to let the bidding be the deciding factor. If it were me and she had a good feedback, I would let her know that eBay allows me to enter a buy it now price in for 10% above minimum bid, and that you have gone ahead and done that for her. And hope for a quick sale! :smile:

I buy on ebay quite a bit and will often ask a seller if they would consider offering a buy it now option when they do not have one listed (I typically do this when I see something I MUST have! lol). I ask because I am willing to pay more money to ensure the item is mine, instead of risking the chance of getting it cheaper and potentially losing the item to another bidder.

Last edited:
Be careful. One time, I wanted $95 for one bike. I got an offer of $75. I tried to talk to a buyer about accepting $85. No dice. The buyer wanted it for $75. I told them that I cannot do $75. Well, the next day, I contacted the buyer. I had changed my mind. I'll do $75. Buyer was no longer interested.

I'm a guy and I don't know anything about handbags, but you know customers. Those looking for handbags are often impulsive buyers. You want to take advantage of them.

Be careful. One time, I wanted $95 for one bike. I got an offer of $75. I tried to talk to a buyer about accepting $85. No dice. The buyer wanted it for $75. I told them that I cannot do $75. Well, the next day, I contacted the buyer. I had changed my mind. I'll do $75. Buyer was no longer interested.

I'm a guy and I don't know anything about handbags, but you know customers. Those looking for handbags are often impulsive buyers. You want to take advantage of them.

Hear hear, when you're in a sales business this is the golden rule, sell it when you can.
I know not all businesses are the same and there will be times that this doesn't apply but i just wanted to agree with what Dereksbicyles said.

Thanks for your advice guys. It didn't sell so I'm a bit gutted.

At the same time, you have to decide which one is of more value to you- the money, or the item. And I'm in no rush to see sell so I'd rather hold onto it until I can find a buyer willing to pay a price I value more.

If you're in no rush to sell and the BIN price the buyer has offered you is too low, I would wait. There could be a number of reasons why your bag didn't sell - the end time for example, have a search for completed listings of the bag you'e selling and see how much they've sold for in the past if you haven't already to see if the price you have set it at is reasonable.

There may have been some people watching it, were planning to bid towards the ending time to get a good price, and they may have missed the auction or didn't get a chance to do anything (busy at work? etc).