As a Canadian, is it worth it to get LV on Ebay?

stonie

Dec 2, 2011
Hello everyone! As per the thread title, I am a Canadian and would potentially like to start looking into some great pre-loved LVs.
I was wondering if it would be even worth it since most LVs would be coming from other countries off Ebay or other online sites. I know we've got some serious duty and customs fees for importing into Canada. Are the savings even worth it after all the taxes and whatnot?

Thanks!

If you set the option (on eBay, I don't know about the others) to show you only Canadian sellers you won't see items from outside Canada. However, LV in good condition sells for very close to the 'new' price and I personally wouldn't risk possibly getting a fake to save 10-15%.

I'd say it's still worth it. Sometimes you might get away with not paying duty! I had purchased a blue epi petite noe in pristine condition from Japan for $200 Cdn! I didn't have to pay duty. However I do anticipate duty every time I purchase overseas. It really just depends on the customs officer that handles the package.
There are good deals out there, but you just have to spend a little more time and energy to find them.
Just make sure to have the item authenticated here before you fork over the cash!

If you set the option (on eBay, I don't know about the others) to show you only Canadian sellers you won't see items from outside Canada. However, LV in good condition sells for very close to the 'new' price and I personally wouldn't risk possibly getting a fake to save 10-15%.

Yeah, I was wondering about this since the items I want are pretty specific. I guess I'll just save up for my wishlist! But it's always fun to check out just in case :graucho:

I have purchased one preloved bag on E-bay (alma) two others through Craigslist (Toronto). The never full and the speedy. The two from craigslist were brand new (maybe used once or twice) and I saved $300-$400 on each bag(before taxes come into play). I know people say it's risky..but I just go with my gut after talking to the seller. No taxes, no duty..there are tons of authentic items on Craigslist and Kijiji, and at much better prices than E-bay sellers offer. I always haggle with them as well. :smile: I haven't regretted any of my purchases this way.

No taxes, no duty..there are tons of authentic items on Craigslist and Kijiji, and at much better prices than E-bay sellers offer. I always haggle with them as well. :smile: I haven't regretted any of my purchases this way.

What if you were to get a fake? Does CL or Kijiji offer some sort of buyers protection like Ebay does? I suppose I should always authenticate on here first though ;)

I guess its a chance you take, I make sure the photos the seller provides are of the real bag, and I can tell if it's the real deal through our correspondence as well. I never spend more than $ 600 on a bag, which is the amount I am comfortable losing if it doesn't arrive, or arrives "not as described". Fortunately I have not had a problem yet.