Artois PM Vs. St Louis PM

I am here in Paris on vacation. I dragged my husband and two kids to the Goyard store and I have to say, was ready to make my purchase of the St. Louis tote. When I finally saw it, it fell short of my expectations too. The canvas felt so cheap and flimsy and it isn't even lined nicely. I am so so disappointed I could not walk away with it. In my opinion, the quality just pales in comparison to LV. I DON't mean any offense to anyone who love goyard. I just wanted to share my experience....

I would suggest looking at their other, albeit more expensive, styles.
The St. Louis totes are known for their delicate (inferior?) quality, with their straps cracking and their corners ripping easily.

Okay! Just wanted to follow up, I decided to go with the Artois and will be picking it up on Sat! Yeah! :smile:

White wasn't an option so I went with Gris personalization. :smile:

Will post pics upon pick up!

Hey all,

I just went to my local barneys to peruse the Goyard section for the st.louis vs. artois question. I can definitively say that I will not be getting a St.Louis (they did not have the Artois to look at). I hope that I like the artois once i get to Paris and they can monogram it in time because the St.Louis strap was way too short for me. I have the NF PM and still found that much more comfortable than the St.Louis due to the strap drop. I hope others might find that helpful. For reference, I am 5'2 110 lbs.

Was the strap drop too short to wear over a winter coat you think?

This is going to sound like sacrilege (coming from a Goyard fan, lol), but if the strap drop isn't all that comfortable, Faure Le Page has the Daily Battle tote that comes with adjustable straps. Worth exploring as a different option. Personally, I prefer the Goyard chevron. :biggrin:

Below is a Faure Le Page tpfer's early review.

Bonjour de Paris! For months, I have been going back and forth between whether I want a Goyard St. Louis or FLP Daily Battle. Planning this trip to Paris, I knew that no matter what, the purchase would be to the best advantage made on either one since it's cheaper here vs. shipment to the US. Being able to see everything IRL is worth the trip! Plus, there are all these beautiful, delicious macarons to enjoy in person!

At Goyard, the main front door and queue on the sidewalk reminded me of Black Friday frenzy of pre-holiday madness! The queue is to limit consumer volume inside, I guess.

I was too impatient to deal with that, so I walked a block down to FLP. Down the street on Rue de Cambon (near Chanel)...

Inside the FLP store on Rue de Cambon I was floored by how beautiful the product is in person. Once inside, the experience was instantly pleasant, the SA's want to share the history of FLP, and they spoke of the color connections to France, and how the products are made in France. Some notes I learned:
- For what it's worth, some FLP collections are indeed made outside of France -- i.e. the products with yellow trim -- but the Daily Battle Totes is the FLP classic tote - are/will always be made in France, so I've been told.
- The SA Christopher told me that while FLP does have a location in Galeries, he said the Rue de Cambon boutique is a far more "true" FLP experience. I spent the most time figuring out what color to choose.
- Each of the FLP colors are very beautiful, deeply muted, you honestly can't go wrong.
- Size: I tried the Daily Battle tote -- both the Medium and Large. Medium is close is width but slightly taller to Goyard's St. Louis PM, the Large is literally the same size as the Goyard's St. Louis GM.
- Strong corners: Leather corners on the bottom add strength to the base of the tote. Nice.
- Handles: I love how the handles are adjustable on the DB's, make it longer for large weekend packing, make it shorter for more close fit. Historical tidbit: There are 17 holes on the handle -- a tribute to the 1717 date of FLP's start.
- Inside: There's a d-ring inside -- perfect for attaching one of the FLP "POMPOM" tassel key chains (110E with VAT) or Pouches.
- Styling: FLP styles the POMPOM tassel keychain as hanging outside the tote, as a way to keep the tote "closed" -- as a security measure, i.e. riding on Metro trains you must be en garde of pickpockets! I attached my LV cles to the D-ring for easy access to coins and Metro tickets. The FLP tag on the inside can be tabbed over the top, to slightly tuck the top of the bag. I like how the lining is black (vs. white canvas in the St. Louis). Pop in the side gussets to mimic LV Neverfull's less-wide footprint. I like this look when the tote isnt very full.
- Pricing: 690EU includes VAT. FLP did the paperwork for me to get a 12% back at airport.
- Decision: For the price vs. size, I went big with the Daily Battle in Large, and, after going back and forth with neutral colors, I went with Green.
- Followup: After a few days, I walked Paris with my new Daily Battle.. into Goyard at Printemps, and these other customers asked the Goyard SA about my FLP bag! I think these customers actually left the counter in search for FLP instead!

I have a few days left here in Paris, so I may still check out Goyard for the PM size, but for now I'm pretty happy with FLP and look forward to bring home a stylish, truly French-Parisian tote that no one [I know] has back home!

3116254d1441197268-official-faure-le-page-thread-img_4026.jpg

3116255d1441197268-official-faure-le-page-thread-img_4027.jpg

3116256d1441197268-official-faure-le-page-thread-img_4028.jpg

3116257d1441197268-official-faure-le-page-thread-img_4029.jpg

Post source (tpf's Faure Le Page thread): http://forum.purseblog.com/showpost.php?p=29114463&postcount=666

Was the strap drop too short to wear over a winter coat you think?

Definitely longer than the st.louis, but I didn't get to spend much time "playing around" with it. I pick it up on Sat and will take photos. I think it might depend on the jacket, but I'm pretty confident my down coats will allow for this bag.

This is going to sound like sacrilege (coming from a Goyard fan, lol), but if the strap drop isn't all that comfortable, Faure Le Page has the Daily Battle tote that comes with adjustable straps. Worth exploring as a different option. Personally, I prefer the Goyard chevron. :biggrin:

Below is a Faure Le Page tpfer's early review.

Post source (tpf's Faure Le Page thread): http://forum.purseblog.com/showpost.php?p=29114463&postcount=666

This is actually a very pretty tote, but I don't know if I love the fan design, I just can't tell? Thank you for posting! It's intriguing for sure!

This is actually a very pretty tote, but I don't know if I love the fan design, I just can't tell? Thank you for posting! It's intriguing for sure!

You're welcome! :biggrin: It's actually a dragon scale pattern. Faure Le Page used to be armorers and firearms makers for French royalty (hence, the recurring holster motif they use). They're pretty young but the house has been around since 1717! Probably rarer to see this brand out and about, even when compared to Goyard. In fact, I think I spotted one of their bags in green carried by a mother with her baby. It was the Carry On bag. My first sighting!

I think I'd go for something in red. Maybe one of their Enveloppe Parade clutches. The "1717" bag is definitely on my already long wishlist. ;)

image.jpg

Makes me wonder though, why not many other designs incorporate the adjustable straps for totes.

Last edited:
This is the exact same debate I'm having! I've heard a concerning amount of complaints about the St. Louis quality, but I just love how light and versatile it looks. Then again a zipper and reinforced corners.....tempting.

I have to say I love my Artois! :smile:
I am now trying to decide if the Artois is the "right" bag for me, and I would appreciate any and all opinions:smile:!
I ordered the St. Louis, but between the handle drop and my fear that the corners will wear down, I am going to return it back to the store. I am now considering what my other Goyard options are. I do not live anywhere near a store, so I am doing this all online/over the phone.
I want a tote that I could use to carry my laptop, and other essentials (wallet, keys, etc). I currently have the St. Martin, and I wish that came in a tote. It's a great bag with re-enforced corners and a very comfortable strap. But it does not come in a bigger size.
My question is-what do you carry around in your Artois. Is it comparable to what you can fit in a LV NF MM?
If not, does anyone have any other suggestions for me?
The SA at the Goyard boutique suggested the Bellechasse, and the Okinawa-but said that the Artois was less rigid than both.....

Thank you amstevens714 for the response-

Can you give me an idea of how much you carry in your artois? Curious to see what you can fit, and what is comfortable for you to carry in this bag.

Thank you again for your help.
http://forum.purseblog.com/goyard/st-louis-pm-or-artois-910951-3.html#post29303254
I don't have the okinawa, but I've seen it in person and definitely think that it is much more sturdy for a laptop and for your needs. I would not recommend a laptop in the artois because of a) weight (unless you purchase a purse base shaper that can help maintain its shape, then maybe..) and b) size. I have 13in/4-5lb laptop that I COULD stuff into the artois, but I wouldn't be able to zip it up. Depends on how big and heavy your laptop are though.

The only things I use to carry in my artois are light things- keys, wallet, a small book, pencils, sunglasses, light sweater, etc. No idea how it compares to a neverfull, sorry.

Thank you amstevens714 for the response-

Can you give me an idea of how much you carry in your artois? Curious to see what you can fit, and what is comfortable for you to carry in this bag.

Thank you again for your help.
http://forum.purseblog.com/goyard/st-louis-pm-or-artois-910951-3.html#post29303254

Hi there!

I am still loving the artois. I can fit a lot in there, but I don't carry that much imo. It's not big enough for a laptop, but definitely for an iPad and PLENTY more. It is definitely smaller than my NF MM, but quite a bit larger than my NF PM.

I carry - full size wallet, makeup pouch, small card pouch, a fold up plastic bag, generally a scarf or light sweater, phone, keys, etc. sometimes a older iPad.

I find the strap drop really great and I can confirm it fits over a coat.

I hope that helps!

That totally helps! Thank you so much for the responses!

While I love the look of the Artois, I am concerned that I will need more space.

Since I have limited knowledge about the Goyard line of handbags (I just like the way they look:smile:), I am wondering if there are any Goyard totes that are as big and durable as the LV NF MM? Basically a little bit bigger than the St. Louis, and more durable than the St. Louis.